Thread: Speed comparison

Default Speed comparison

Would any of you racers out there be able to advise me on the average speeds of a P class 4s mono and a .21 nitro class mono, under competition oval racing conditions please. Just interested to know what the target is if a P spec 4s mono were to run with the .21 nitro boats. My rather poor & limited search skills can't find anything.
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Would any of you racers out there be able to advise me on the average speeds of a P class 4s mono and a .21 nitro class mono, under competition oval racing conditions please. Just interested to know what the target is if a P spec 4s mono were to run with the .21 nitro boats. My rather poor & limited search skills can't find anything.
    Cheers.
    Paul.
    The only "spec" class we have for Mono is the P-Limited Offshore. My 26" Dark Horse Mono does around 40-45mph in race trim... though during a race, I doubt it gets there much.

Seeing the .21 Monos run... I don't think a spec boat would have any trouble keeping up with them...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks for that Darin
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word Spec as the motors in our boats are the 8, 9Xl type, with a Neu 2200kv in there And they are running in the high 40's.
    Just not sure what speeds the .21 nitros are doing.
    Thanks again,
    Paul.
    Last edited by 785boats; 07-13-2010 at 04:50 PM.

I've got a few nationally recognized nitro guys in my club, and I don't think I'd want anything less than a full on P mono to run against their .21 monos.

It's strange, but I feel we've got equal performance with P-Limited OPC against A OPC, P-Limited Hydro against A Hydro, but I'm just not convinced yet that a P-Limited mono is a good match for an A mono. Not sure why I feel that way, but I do!

However, even if an A mono is faster than a P-Limited mono, the FE version will be much more consistent on the water round after round. That's where the true advantage is, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    I've got a few nationally recognized nitro guys in my club, and I don't think I'd want anything less than a full on P mono to run against their .21 monos.

It's strange, but I feel we've got equal performance with P-Limited OPC against A OPC, P-Limited Hydro against A Hydro, but I'm just not convinced yet that a P-Limited mono is a good match for an A mono. Not sure why I feel that way, but I do!

However, even if an A mono is faster than a P-Limited mono, the FE version will be much more consistent on the water round after round. That's where the true advantage is, hands down.
    You are likely right, David... I admit I've never seen a "fast" A-Mono...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

So how do I find out the actual speed of the .21 Mono class?
    Thanks.
    Paul.

I'll chime in here as I have at least two of the three set-ups. My A mono is not the fastest, but its pretty respectable when it's running at its best level. My P mono is very fast and will outrun my A mono any day of the week. A P spec mono may be close to my A mono if it were a lightweight set-up.

There are a couple of good indicators although they represent very high levels of set-up. See the NAMBA records below.

NAMBA 2-lap:

P mono: 26.16 sec (a very hot set-up)
    A mono: 27.56 sec (a very well dialed in seaducer)

NAMBA 6-lap heat race:
    A mono: 96 seconds (estimated as the current record is open)
    P mono: 100 seconds (This probably represents a race with several boats running or several boats dead and having to drive around them)

To a lesser extent you can look at the SAW records, but electics have a clear advantage here that does not transfer over to heat racing.

SAW Records:

A mono: 57.6 mph ( this a special SAW only mono)
    P mono: 67.7 mph

21 mono's vary quite a bit in speed depending on the set-up. Normally I would say a P mono is close to a good A mono assuming a moderate power level in the p mono.

My guess is that good A mono's run around 45-50 mph.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler.
    Sounds good then. That's the sort of speed I was hoping for.
    Paul.