Thread: Venom Lipos, good, bad, ugly?

Default Venom Lipos, good, bad, ugly?

Hopefully the Traxxas Titan will be here in a few weeks, so i need to get my batt's ordered soon, being a newbie to the Lipo world just doin my homework first. I've been reading the Traxxas forums a little about the Titan and several members have got Venom Lipo's for them, so i've been looking at the Venoms myslelf. Are Venom's any good? I like there "Univeral" plug systems, i could flip the batt's back and forth between my Deans plug equiped boat and the Titan with out having to do any re-wiring. The batt's (i think) i want are the Venom 2s 5000mah 40c hard case batt's. The Integy 5000mah 2s 35c's have caught my attention too. I don't mind spending the money as long as i get my money's worth!

Go here: www.rclipos.com. Shipping is included in the price. Venom lipos = junk.

Venom products....CRAP ....why do I know.....I used them as a newbie

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 07-12-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Only venom lipos I run where in a slash which I just sold. I WOULD NEVER put a venom lipo in my boats. I'm trying to sell the one I have, maybe I'll threw it in the swap shop in a few days if craigslist doesn't pan out.

www.hobbycity.com I run only zippy and turnigy. I bought a pair of tenergy and they where double the price of a pair of zippy and I found no difference in running. The tenergy are a little smaller in dimensions though. Glad to see your making the jump buddy. You won't look back!

If you care about your boats you won't use venom lipo's in them lol. I didn't care about my slash, it was just something to pass the time which is why its gone. I agree with Douggie & rum, venom lipos
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Why are venoms so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    Why are venoms so bad?

I don't think they handle the amp draw very well and I think venom over-rates there discharge rate. Like my 20c is more like a 15c. JMO
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

It seems to be a company philosophy to use the cheapest possible materials, in every aspect... then put a fancy label or design on it to up the value on presentation. It's a corporate approach that yields a big profit margin.... at the cost of the consumer.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Seems like the vote is unanimous, i'll be staying away from Venom!! 2 problems i keep running into, RClipo's are a bit high priced for me, and while Hobby Kings prices are awesome, i can't find any that have Traxxas plugs, i'm not gonna cut up the Titan when it arrives and i'm not gonna cut up the batts either. I would like to run cells that have interchangable bullet conector wire leads so i can run them in either the Titan, or a Deans plug boat with out having to re-do any wiring!

Aww come on. Soldering leads is a cinch! Buy batts with 5.5 bullets, or no connectors and add them. Add them to the esc too! Or just make some adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmateguy01 View Post
    Seems like the vote is unanimous, i'll be staying away from Venom!! 2 problems i keep running into, RClipo's are a bit high priced for me, and while Hobby Kings prices are awesome, i can't find any that have Traxxas plugs, i'm not gonna cut up the Titan when it arrives and i'm not gonna cut up the batts either. I would like to run cells that have interchangable bullet conector wire leads so i can run them in either the Titan, or a Deans plug boat with out having to re-do any wiring!
    Yea solder some new connectors. If you order from HC just order some 5.5mm bullets with it. Your really limiting yourself on products and hurting yourself only buying batts like that. All my boats run 5.5mm and my slash also ran 5.5mm when I had it and my planes run deans. Simple only 2 plug types. Stay away from deans on boats though, can't handle the amp loads. I had some deans de-solder on me.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

My first pair of lipos were venom 5400mah 20c 3s. I paid over 300-bucks for the pair.(ouch!) They have worked great for me. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I only use em in my savage flux now, but I agree there are far better deals on good quality lipos than what Venom has to offer.

From my one and only experince with them(I buy only turnigy now)..............i bought a pair of 3s 4000's almost two years ago, i have ran the living crap out of them........in my Monster Mamba E-maxx and several different boats..............never once had a problem............never even swelled just a bit. I must have run them at least 100 times. I am not a Venom advocate, but you couldnt pry them away from me.

Default Venom Lipos, good, bad, ugly?

Hey man, I'm new to lipos myself - having just started running them this year.
    At first I felt the same about Venom products. I had some Venom NIMH's that were junk, and when their new lipos hit the market this year, I was a little leary.
    No, a lot leary!!

Having said that has anyone read the post from Chris Nicastro, Director of R&D
    Venom Group Intl. USA?

While we are on the subject of Venom Lipos I just want to mention that I have done the majority of Lipo testing here or have overseen it and I have established the protocols and we have tested pretty much all the batteries that are made in the world. What we sell is the best that you can afford for the hobby and we are confident to put our packs to the test with any brand. Yes there are less expensive packs to buy but you get what you pay for. Our packs deliver the power and capacity they advertise. We have discharged packs to the limit to prove this and the results are +/- 95% capacity discharge at Max C rates while maintaining a safe temperature. I dont suggest you try this stress test on your packs as we are willing to destroy them in testing but it proves a point. These are quality Lipo packs. There are a lot of inflated claims and fantastic numbers out there and I'm pleased to say we are not a part of that and our product line shows this. We do not have huge C ratings on our packs in fact they seem conservative but they are real.
    Now, is that just sales talk? His statement seems to be in direct contrast with some of the post on this thread.

And by the way - Isn't their new battery called Li-Power.

I bought (2) 40C 5000's (Li-Powers) earlier this year for my UL-1, and they're running strong so far; however the universal plug system may be just an extra step to go through in the heat process. My Deans run 168 degrees on a 5 minute run using a stock 40x52/3.

I have a 40x57/3 in the works - won't this prop heat up more?

Hey Diesel - maybe you can hook me up with those 5.5 bullets. I have no soldering experience. But I'm willing to learn. JM2CW.

Quote Originally Posted by skiking1739 View Post
    Hey man, I'm new to lipos myself - having just started running them this year.
    At first I felt the same about Venom products. I had some Venom NIMH's that were junk, and when their new lipos hit the market this year, I was a little leary.
    No, a lot leary!!

Having said that has anyone read the post from Chris Nicastro, Director of R&D
    Venom Group Intl. USA?

Now, is that just sales talk? His statement seems to be in direct contrast with some of the post on this thread.

And by the way - Isn't their new battery called Li-Power.

I bought (2) 40C 5000's (Li-Powers) earlier this year for my UL-1, and they're running strong so far; however the universal plug system may be just an extra step to go through in the heat process. My Deans run 168 degrees on a 5 minute run using a stock 40x52/3.

I have a 40x57/3 in the works - won't this prop heat up more?

Hey Diesel - maybe you can hook me up with those 5.5 bullets. I have no soldering experience. But I'm willing to learn. JM2CW.
    PM sent
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet