Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SeaKing 120 esc

Default pics of props and rudder/mount

Here are a couple pics of the props.They are long.Not much of the stub shaft to stick out.I had to loosen the collets and pull the wire drives out a tad.Not a big deal.And heres a pic of the Speedmaster rudder and mount.I had to put the mount bolts in from the inside.Its a little tight in there to gets the nuts all the way to the back.It works great-blow overs and general wipe-outs dont mess this one up like the stock junk does.And it has a break-a-way.I also moved the steering servo to the middle.Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.Ill use the stock outlets for the motor mounts when I decide I need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Interesting, mine haven't come loose yet. That is a great speed for 38mm props. Are they the ones from kintec racing? Did you balance them yourself??
    I was wrong.I just talked to Jan,they are NOT sharpened and balanced.Guess I need to get mine done.

No, 57.7 mph on the cf-40's. That's the first I've heard of the 38mm props.
    SORRY,
    i ment larrysdrifter.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    SORRY,
    i ment larrysdrifter.
    You lost me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.
    I am liking this a lot! Gives it a scale look when running when the water comes outta there.

I'm bettin you pick up a couple mph from a good sharpen and balance!

I'm bettin you pick up a couple mph from a good sharpen and balance!
    Yeah.I want to send them and a couple of 442's to chuck-"egneg" to see what he can do.Im kinda thinking I might be able to run the 442's safely.My temps with the 38's are 100-116 for both the motors and esc's.Really dont want to burn anything up.My main goal for now is to beat my buddys Apparation.Friendly of course.Might just have to buy the 2 Align motors in the swap shop and run on 6s.

He does nice work. I have several props from him. I can balance & sharpen my own, but it's not fun for me, and his come out soo nice!

He does nice work. I have several props from him. I can balance & sharpen my own, but it's not fun for me, and his come out soo nice!
    Do you have any suggestions on stringer settings when moving to a larger diameter prop?Is there a general rule of thumb to it-say when going larger diameter you put the prop lower in the water?

Do you have any suggestions on stringer settings when moving to a larger diameter prop?Is there a general rule of thumb to it-say when going larger diameter you put the prop lower in the water?
    Mine seems to like a little positive angle on the stinger with the larger props. When I ran my 32mm props if I didnt set the stingers neutral or slightly negative, the boat would cavitate a lot before getting up on plane. Not sure if there is a general rule of thumb for stinger settings. Thats whats so good about having a gps. You can make small adjustments and take measurements to dial your boat in for max speed. BTW, I dont have the newer black stingers with the degree indicators on them.

Nice thing about a strut as compared to a stinger, is a strut you can adjust the prop depth seperately from the strut angle. With the stinger you are adjusting both at the same time. Setting prop depth is pretty critical for max rpm/speed. Run your prop too deep and you can really heat up the electronics too.

Sorry to hear that about you not having the black stingers.The indicators on them arent that accurate anyway.Thanks for the suggestions on the depth.I just had to take out one of the motor mounts again because the mount screws keep coming loose from the steel floor mount.I used blue locktite on the screws before.Now I used green.They better not come loose again or Im making my own mounts that will be one piece.

Sorry to hear that about you not having the black stingers.The indicators on them arent that accurate anyway.Thanks for the suggestions on the depth.I just had to take out one of the motor mounts again because the mount screws keep coming loose from the steel floor mount.I used blue locktite on the screws before.Now I used green.They better not come loose again or Im making my own mounts that will be one piece.
    SPOT ON,
    the indicators are not your friend on this boat
    beacause the stingers mite not be in the exact same place....(like mine)
    keep doing what your doing with the adjustment and you wont go wrong
    and larry i was wondering if the props your using were the ones i mentioned.
    didn't meen to lose you.....
    (kintek 38X1.45)
    whats every bodys apinion on bearings vs bushings????
    the reason i ask is 1 of my bearings went bad and locked solid(no movement)
    but it had no affect on the shaft???and no affect on the speed???

Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.
    i did the same thing but took out the fake pipes and went with rivits...
    nice job...
    can you see the water come out when you buzz by?????
    i cant but i know it works because my heat is around 115-130
    plus if i use my pump to check the fittings it flows out nice.
    check out the pic (avatar)and you can see the difference.

SPOT ON,
    the indicators are not your friend on this boat
    beacause the stingers mite not be in the exact same place....(like mine)
    keep doing what your doing with the adjustment and you wont go wrong
    and larry i was wondering if the props your using were the ones i mentioned.
    didn't meen to lose you.....
    (kintek 38X1.45)
    whats every bodys apinion on bearings vs bushings????
    the reason i ask is 1 of my bearings went bad and locked solid(no movement)
    but it had no affect on the shaft???and no affect on the speed???
    Thats the props.They work great.Its looks like they are balanced.They have the same look a balanced prop does.And the edges arent dull at all,but they arent S&B.I still picked up I think 4 mph with them.Gonna get them S&B though.
    My opinion on bushings-dont use them.Ill be upgrading to the Boca Ceramic sealed when my stockers go south.

i did the same thing but took out the fake pipes and went with rivits...
    nice job...
    can you see the water come out when you buzz by?????
    i cant but i know it works because my heat is around 115-130
    plus if i use my pump to check the fittings it flows out nice.
    check out the pic (avatar)and you can see the difference.
    Cant see the water at speed of course-or when cruising by slow.It works though.Temps dont get any higher than 116 for everything so far.Running cool-time for some 442's!OSE got some cf-40's in,but wife wont let me get them because I just bought 2 motors from the swap shop.Theyre only $5.00 each!Maybe I wont need them if I can squeeze the motors in there.There 1650kv outrunners with jackets and going on 6s.If they ll fit,thats where theyre going.Crash time!

Your EKOS looks good.You have more pics?Is it stock still?

Your EKOS looks good.You have more pics?Is it stock still?
    thanx....
    yep still stock except for some extra cooling
    and a new rudder...got all the pics you need...
    didn't like the paint job i did around the hatch so i took it off.
    i also dont have the outlets on the side anymore...
    i epoxyed the hole and just use the rear exit ports now,
    1 on each side for the motor and the other for the esc's and motor mount together
    Last edited by scubasteve95; 08-04-2010 at 02:12 PM.

heres some more...
    thats the new aeromarine rudder i
    picked up.got rid of the intake tubes from the old rudder
    and use the hull flush mount doubles on each side
    for the esc's and motor mount coolers
    the rudder just cools the motors...i also drilled another intake port on
    the other side of the rudder so i didn't have any cooling
    lose.(like the rudder on the 54"kos gas)

Looks good.I have the dual floor mounted pickups in mine too.I cant believe its still stock.

thanx ,
    YEA SHE'S A RUNNER...........
    gunna go with the 10xl's x442 props and some 120amp seaking esc's
    jeff's wire drives and boca ultra ceramic bearings
    on the same 4s 5000 packs im using now
    in a little bit should be able to run all day on that set-up @ wfo
    and be just as rock steady as it is now...but alot faster and alot cooler.
    want to use the stock venom stuff in another build.i need a bigger springer rescue tug
    and should power it perfect.

Im using the stock venom esc and motor in a rescue boat Im building.That way,I have a spare motor when the stocker craps out.No back-up esc though.The rescue boat should be a fun little guy to play with.

SWEET....
    im doing the same thing but most of the stuff going in to the ekos will be upgraded
    i was going to do what your doing untill i saw
    forescott pull a 57+mph run and well lets just say
    i want one to.atleast this way my rescue tug can be parted out
    if i need bearings or hardware...i could use the stock esc's and motors too
    if i had a issue but after i hit 50+ it will be hard to go back.

My fastest run is 56.6 mph with 38mm metal 2 blade props.Thats with the exact same parts forescott has.He's runnin cf-40mm props.My right hand 442 should be in tomorrow.Im willing to put money on 60mph.And my 38's arent sharpened or balanced.So,heres what Im thinking-and this is not bad mouthing forescott at all.When running a plastic or cf prop,the diameter decreases with rpm.I think they close up somewhat like a Venus Fly Trap closes when it catches a bug.Thats what causes them to lose diameter.Hope that made sense.Its the best I could describe it with out physically showing you.Hes running 57mph with cf 40's-Im going 56mph with metal 38's.Mine being 2mm smaller dia.If he could round up some metal 40's,his boat would be a damn rocket.My temps maxed out at 116 motor and esc.As far as temps go,I feel confident I can safely run 442's with out over heating anything.But as far as props go,I would strongly recommend the 38mm props sharpened and balanced of course.I think you would hit 57 or 58mph.Keep me posted for sure on your rebuild.

My fastest run is 56.6 mph with 38mm metal 2 blade props.Thats with the exact same parts forescott has.He's runnin cf-40mm props.My right hand 442 should be in tomorrow.Im willing to put money on 60mph.And my 38's arent sharpened or balanced.So,heres what Im thinking-and this is not bad mouthing forescott at all.When running a plastic or cf prop,the diameter decreases with rpm.I think they close up somewhat like a Venus Fly Trap closes when it catches a bug.Thats what causes them to lose diameter.Hope that made sense.Its the best I could describe it with out physically showing you.Hes running 57mph with cf 40's-Im going 56mph with metal 38's.Mine being 2mm smaller dia.If he could round up some metal 40's,his boat would be a damn rocket.My temps maxed out at 116 motor and esc.As far as temps go,I feel confident I can safely run 442's with out over heating anything.But as far as props go,I would strongly recommend the 38mm props sharpened and balanced of course.I think you would hit 57 or 58mph.Keep me posted for sure on your rebuild.
    one thing i noticed on your 38's is
    the pitch is greater...correct me if im wrong
    but that is whats giving you your high rate of speed out of a smaller prop....
    your heat is about the same as his with the 40's and a lower pitch
    check your heat often for afew with the 9xl's on 42's
    you are correct about the cf's there is some flex
    but it isn't as bad as you think.

Your right,I didnt think about pitch.Thats probably what it is.I dont know what the pitch is on the 40's.But, your right about the speed.I plan on timing the 442's.One min-then check.2 min-check again.I like to run for long periods of time,but I might not get 10 minutes out of the 442's.Ill keep checking untill I see it to be too hot then take off 3 minutes or so on the next run.I see a couple guys want the 10xl's,but I dont think theyll have the rpm a 9xl would.Maybe more torque,but mine leaves plenty fast.

Your right,I didnt think about pitch.Thats probably what it is.I dont know what the pitch is on the 40's.But, your right about the speed.I plan on timing the 442's.One min-then check.2 min-check again.I like to run for long periods of time,but I might not get 10 minutes out of the 442's.Ill keep checking untill I see it to be too hot then take off 3 minutes or so on the next run.I see a couple guys want the 10xl's,but I dont think theyll have the rpm a 9xl would.Maybe more torque,but mine leaves plenty fast.
    your pitch is 1.45 = 55mm....scotts is 1.4 = 56mm
    your rpms are higher with less prop but your travel is almost the same
    the wording mite be wrong but the idea is the same...
    im going with the 10's on 42's should have no problems and
    hit about 55mph...i like to just run it till my batts hit lvc......

I have a set of 442's ready to go. I'm just afraid they might be too big for the 9xl's so I havent run with them yet.

Also think about this... If the diameter of a cf prop decreases and closes like a venus fly trap like you say, then its also increasing the pitch considerably. Hmmmmm......

I am really liking the sound of those 38mm props. 1.45 pitch is slightly higher than the cf-40 which is 1.4, and the slightly smaller diameter will allow the motors to rev higher with less heat. I'm thinking the 38mm might be the perfect prop for the 9xl. Now I want a set!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast