Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: IMPBA D12 Race #4 Chesapeake, VA

Doug Smock,

Glad you guys made it back safe! Hope to race with you and Paul again really soon. You guys are benchmark drivers, not to mention great people! Hope to hear some more SmockSmack soon! hahahahahaha Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

duplicate
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

I know many of us did not do nearly as well as we wanted to this past weekend. I emailed Doug last night and told thim that I wanted to replace the whoopa$$ avatar with a horsed a$$. Despite my personal disappointment, I just want to say how proud I am of all the FE racers for the effort they put in!!! I also would like to thank those who could not participate, but came out to support us. I monitor most of the R/C boating boards and we made a great impression. Don FErrette who is our district director and IMPBA Gas director posted on our board before any of the others. I would say 90% of the posts on the nitro and gas board OD race threads mentioned how impressed they were with how the FE's ran. Don supported us from the start. Dick Loeb the Chesapeake Club President gave us a venue to showcase the FE's. And Doug (IMPBA records director) and Paul coming up from D13 gave us a little star appeal. Personal disappointment aside, the weekend was a tremendous sucess. And everyone deserves a pat on the back.

Here are the results for the classes that guys from this board entered in. Congrats to Mike and Chuck for thier first district podium appearance!!!!

b&p-spec hydro
    1st - kentley porter
    2nd - doug smock
    3rd - chris wittrig

b&p-spec tunnel
    1st - doug smock
    2nd - paul rollins

3rd - dick loeb

lsg cat
    1st - doug smock
    2nd - j.r. Ward
    3rd - josh black

lsg mono
    1st - ivan place
    2nd - doug smock
    3rd - ray hotchkin

novice
    1st - debbie farrow
    2nd - devon frye
    3rd - manie stadler

p spec mono
    1st - doug smock
    2nd - paul rollins
    3rd - chuck genge

stock gas
    1st - steve sutton
    2nd - steve speas
    3rd - ray hotchkin

180 shootout
    1st - doug smock
    2nd - paul rollins
    3rd - mike luszcz

One last pic of Doug leaving with all the hardware he picked up at the race.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chilli; 08-31-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks guys, It was well worth the 1100 miles and the costs involved to meet you guys and the D12 gang. Racing is racing but I am just as drawn to the people that make this hobby what it is. You guys are the best!
    I am a bit jealous, you guys have some REAL power houses in your district. Mr. Finch, Porter, Ferrette, Sutton, Speas, and the list goes on.

The P-Limited boats were a good match for the average 20 boat, but they were no match for Kentley's boats or the boats that came out of the Seismic Racing trailer. Man those guys have those 20s screaming. I forgot how many times Kentley lapped me with his hydro. I just went wide and said" Go Kentley" LOL
    Don was pitting for Kentley that last heat of B/P-Limited Hydro and I told them I was going to protest that boat because it had a clear advantage. (75+mph)I told them that they were going to have to de-tune it. Don said "He did, he was only running at 1/4 throttle". I told Don if many more of those show up that the FE guys need to be running full P setups. I think we're safe for now.

You guys have a good platform to build off of, and alot of support from the powers that be. I think 2011 will another great year for FE in D-12.
    Keep up the good work, and thanks again for a great weekend!!
    D.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 08-31-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

there was a race this past weekend??

Well we sure got lucky since it looks like 'ol hurricane Earl is gonna light things up a bit around there tomorrow.

I think we had the best weather of the entire summer last weekend. I hope Earl stays offshore. The NWS says it's going to turn to the NE. If it doesnt, it's going to be ugly.

We're three weeks from the Hagerstown race. Hope Tim and Charles get a flyer out soon.
    Last edited by Chilli; 09-02-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Hey Don F., good to see you on the OSE boards! Yea...good thing the race was not scheduled for this weekend...LOL! Awesome to hear you are getting something going with FE!!...a rigger no doubt! If it is anything like all of your other big riggers, look out! You build some very nice, scary fast boats!!

Get some Hyperion lipos for sure. Turnigy's are nice and cheap, but in the long run they will be better suited as paperweights IMO...

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I think we had the best weather of the entire summer last weekend. I hope Earl stays offshore. The NWS says it's going to turn to the NE. If it doesnt, it's going to be ugly.

We're three weeks from the Hagerstown race. Hope Tim and Charles get a flyer out soon.
    I hope it doesn't turn up into the Chesapeake!!!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

The weather was fantastic last weekend, glad Earl took his time in getting there.
    You guys stay safe!!
    I probably won't make the Hagerstown race, hope you understand.

Smock
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hey Doug...thanks again for letting me try out the 1515 1Y....and the flex collet....and the thrust bearing (thanks Paul)...and your prop! LOL!

Glad you guys came! Looks like Mike and I will have to come down to see you next season...i'll make sure we leave the carnage from this past weekend behind..........

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Quote Originally Posted by HOTWATER View Post
    Hey Don F., good to see you on the OSE boards! Yea...good thing the race was not scheduled for this weekend...LOL! Awesome to hear you are getting something going with FE!!...a rigger no doubt! If it is anything like all of your other big riggers, look out! You build some very nice, scary fast boats!!

Get some Hyperion lipos for sure. Turnigy's are nice and cheap, but in the long run they will be better suited as paperweights IMO...

-Kent
    Yup, already started ordering stuff. Those big (going 8S) Hyperion packs ain't cheap but I want the good stuff.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 09-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Nice! Going Castle ICE or Swordfish for the ESC? Shultze is very high dollar...

Mike L. says that his ICE (for his 1/8 scaler) stays very cool, even without water cooling
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Nice! Going Castle ICE or Swordfish for the ESC? Shultze is very high dollar...

Mike L. says that his ICE (for his 1/8 scaler) stays very cool, even without water cooling
    Schulze 40-160's is what I'm planning on

Wow! You aint foolin' around...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Wow! You aint foolin' around...
    Nope, going hard core out of the box. But then would you expect anything less from a guy who runs twins?
    One thing that has been consistent with talking to numerous experienced FE racers is that if you can swing the extra then go Shulze for the ESC's. I sold off most of my gas gear to make the good stuff happen. NEU motors are already on the way.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 09-02-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

OK...now you did it! A build thread is a must...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Growing FE numbers is a double edged sword. Next year Mr. Ferrette and some of the other experienced IC racers may be schooling us on how to get around the race course.
    It's allready happened here in D13 a couple of times.

Good luck with your FE projects Don!
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 09-03-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks to all the D12 folks for the great time at Chesapeake this past weekend. It was well worth the long ride up and back. It was obvious after talking to some of the guys that D12 has a wealth of experience and knowledge in this sport that we all hold dear. I had a great time runnin with Nitros even if all I saw were taillights on a few of them. Yes the P Mono was the historic first FE heat in D12, but from talk I heard it definitely is not going to be last. I was really pleased the way my Outboard Tunnel and P Mono did, I'll take those second places any day. Disappointed in my showing in the P Spec Hydro (JAE 21 Rigger), but lets just write that off to operator error. Chilli I hope you got that sponson repaired without to much trouble. And a big Shout Out of thanks to Steve Sutton for pitting for me. A good pitman can make those 6 laps around the course so much easier. Once again a word of thanks to all from D12 for putting on a great race and making Doug and I feel so welcome. Hope to see you guys in some of the events down our way soon. Gas/Nitro/and of course FE.

Thanks so much for coming up Paul. Sorry we ended up on opposite ends of the pond. The JAE is fine. I patched the sponson nose two days ago and recieved a new motor in the mail today so I'm ready for the last race of the season. I was planning on building a new set of sponsons over the winter anyway. We all made history this past weekend. First FE's to get lapped by Kentley Porter. LOL Hope to see you next year whether it's in D12 or D13 or both.
    Last edited by Chilli; 09-03-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    We all made history this past weekend. First FE's to get lapped by Kentley Porter.
    No doubt. Well we couldn't have been lapped by a nicer guy. I wish I could have talked him into pitting for me in the heats we had together. The outcome may have been a bit different.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

LOL! Doug, you crack me up!!!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567