Thread: Home theater

Default Home theater

Going to be upgrading our TV and Audio setup and building a custom Entertainment system. My problem is I would just like to have two bookshelf speakers and a subwoffer. I want to get rid of the floor speakers we have and use the space for the bigger size of the new entertainment center.

Question is that all of the Home Audio systems now are set up for surround sound 5.1 and I don't want to deal to with that and only use two good bookshelf speakers and a sub-woffer. i don't want to have wires all around. Can you just use three speakers in a 5 speaker system without loosing some of the sound?

Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

So I could hook up a Xbox, CD, DVD player and the TV sound thru the sound bar?
    Billy Graham

Jim, I would strongly suggest you use a centre speaker as well, as most info on surround sound is sent to this speaker with two bookshelves and a sub this will sound great.

Douggie

I am leaning twords a set of bookshelf's and a subwoffer. Just found a Yamaha RX497 that is 75 watts per channel and has a sub woffer jack also.
    Billy Graham

That is only a stereo amp but with your intended setup will work fine as long as you never wish for surround sound and to be honest surround sound is way over rated when you use more than 2 main, 1 centre and a sub if your main speakers are not capable of good bass response.

Douggie

It is a small living room and I don't want to deal with surround sound setup so hopefullyit will be good. I just ordered a set of polk audio Polk Audio RTI A1's for the bookshelf speakers and we will see if I think it needs a sub woofer.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Billy Graham

Could you use two bookshelves and a sub on a 5.1 reciever? If so which speaker outputs would you use?
    Billy Graham

What is your budget? It looks like you have the receiver and speakers covered. Check out HSU subs. They are fantastic!
    Catching Air!

You can use a 5.1 receiver for your application. Just need to turn the surround sound off and it is like a normal stereo with no center speaker. It actually turns off the sound coming out of the center speaker.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

So you would just use the sub woofer and the front speakers than?

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    You can use a 5.1 receiver for your application. Just need to turn the surround sound off and it is like a normal stereo with no center speaker. It actually turns off the sound coming out of the center speaker.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    So you would just use the sub woofer and the front speakers than?
    Yes, you would run the speaker outs into ur sub, then out of the sub to the bookshelf speakers. Or just use the sub out and front speakers

Many newer home theatre receivers come with a "virtual surround" mode that will let you derive some type of surround sound out of a two channel setup.
    Government Moto:

Jim, your first thought of a stereo amp with a sub ouput is way better, if you do not want surround sound and do not get fooled into how many watts per channel, if you pop open the cover and look at the ampifier portion on most inexpensive 5, 6.1 receivers it is not a pretty sight, damping factor etc. really tell the story.

Douggie

Ok Stereo amp and sub output it is.
    Thanks for the help just need to get this all sorted out before I start building the entertainment center.

Jim
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Jim, your first thought of a stereo amp with a sub ouput is way better, if you do not want surround sound and do not get fooled into how many watts per channel, if you pop open the cover and look at the ampifier portion on most inexpensive 5, 6.1 receivers it is not a pretty sight, damping factor etc. really tell the story.

Douggie
    Douggie is correct. Many of the mass produced items don't really live up to their advertised specs. It all depends on your budget and your expectations. If your not going to use surround sound, go for something produced before 1996 or you can go for some of the high end stuff. NAD is one of the few companies that utilize the old specs for power ratings which give you a better picture of what to expect. Today's equipment usually gives power ratings for only one channel driven at a time. In reality they will only produce 60-70% of their ratings with "all" channels driven. But once again this depends on your budget, peripheral equipment and expectations. As always, there are exceptions.
    Government Moto:

NAD does make some good stuff. I have some of their gear from loong ago.
    Catching Air!

For a 2.1 system these are awesome!
    they sound amazing for two speakers and a sub
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...tems/index.jsp
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...1_gs/index.jsp
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

The main detail is to match the speakers to the amp. I used to have an amp built in 1980 that sounded incredible. I had a kid laughing about the 35 watt output, until I turned it on.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

I have an NAD 5.1 receiver running two B&W 602 fronts and an LCR600 centre. It's great, I also don't want the hassle of the rear speakers and I don't miss them.

Running fronts-only is just a matter of choosing that set up in the menu. The reciever takes care of the rest.

A sub would be nice, but the B&Ws pack some punch as is

i personaly like subs only for movies, for music a decent set of tower speakers sounds better imo.
    i used to have a 300watt 12" bandpass sub (custom built) but it was stupid and to much
    a mate offered me good $$$ a few years ago for it so sold it.
    was living in a small unit at the time so brought a small 10" sub,just didnt seem enough at the time so brought another lol
    even both these at mid volumes make pictures fall of the walls

Hi.. I guess you need to ask yourself if you really like to mainly watch movies or mainly music. That will help decide if its going to be just stereo or with a centre as well. A center speaker and sub will enhance you movie viewing a LOT. Id probly go for a good 10'' sub with those.. It will be more crisp or tight, also better for muisc without overpowering the bookshelfs. Also a good centre,, amongst other parts all the vocals will come from there and you dont want it to sound hollow. Id steer clear of the lower end Yamaha amps, they do lack some bass and are dont deliver what they rated at.. IMO anyway. Hope it works out, good luck.

Ok almost have everything ready only one question. I am just going with a 2Ch stereo receiver with bookshelf speakers and a single subwoofer.
    The reciever can run two sets of speakers A and B.
    To reduce wiring under my carpet to the subwoofer couldn't i just use the B speaker outputs to run wiring to the subwoffer? The "A" outputs would be the bookshelf speakers
    Jim
    Billy Graham

Sure. Before you finalize your speaker positions, experiment with different subwoofer locations. There are plenty of recommendation on the internet to assist you.
    Government Moto:

You can run your wires out from the sub to the speakers. Save the "B" output for more speakers.
    Catching Air!

I understand that but I was trying to not have to run even more wiring under the carpet.
    If i use "B" I only need one R&L wire and don't have to run to the woofer then back to the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    You can run your wires out from the sub to the speakers. Save the "B" output for more speakers.
    Last edited by JimClark; 11-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Billy Graham

Ah ok. I see what you are saying now.
    Catching Air!