Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy batteries - quality problems

Default Turnigy batteries - quality problems

I ordered 4 packs of 2S1P. One of them has a dead cell

Also ordered 2 packs of 3S1P. One of them also has a dead cell

Ordered from Hobby King, took 3 weeks to arrive.

Very disappointed...

Chief

Cool

While this is probably not yet common, several club members have received packs with dead or soon-dead cells in them. With the high cost of mailing packs back to China, I imagine that HK counts on many of their customers just not asking for replacements packs because the cost can be almost the same as buying new packs. Hopefully as they transition more of their inventory to US warehouses this won't be such an issue. Yet another reason to buy from US distributors. Some have costs almost as low as HK.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    While this is probably not yet common, several club members have received packs with dead or soon-dead cells in them. With the high cost of mailing packs back to China, I imagine that HK counts on many of their customers just not asking for replacements packs because the cost can be almost the same as buying new packs. Hopefully as they transition more of their inventory to US warehouses this won't be such an issue. Yet another reason to buy from US distributors. Some have costs almost as low as HK.

Yep. Once again, the old addage applies: "You get what you pay for"

-Chief

It won't take long for word to get around if a lot of packs are bad and sales will plummet. So I think it would be in their best interest to resolve any issues.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I've had dead cells on "Brand Name" packs....it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    It won't take long for word to get around if a lot of packs are bad and sales will plummet. So I think it would be in their best interest to resolve any issues.
    Slow gets boring fast.

Right!!!
    Just like some of our brand name ESC's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I've had dead cells on "Brand Name" packs....it happens.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Check out the Hyperion packs at www.empirerc.com and then contact me for killer prices only for the guys here on OSE. Are they more than Turnigy? Yes. But they have a good warranty, are here in the states, and definitely the best quality packs I have ever seen. That's why I became a dealer for them.

I have received 2 out of 5 bad packs from HK in one order. Never again. I'd rather pay more and get quality and have an easy recourse to return them if necessary.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Cool

I agree, the Hyperion G3s I've seen and used are very good packs. Several club members buy them exclusively. I have three packs, but sadly I didn't buy them from Jim. Next time....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

HK has had bad packs for a long time now. People still will buy them. It's hard to beat the price. You can get two for the price of one "name" brands.

Jim I may be looking for some G3s I will give you a holla if I decide to take a plunge.

I agree, the Hyperion G3s I've seen and used are very good packs.
    I agree, I have some Hyperion 4200 35c packs that I run in my N2 sport hydro in a 2s2p setup, they run really strong and come in cool. I then tried some Turnigy 4500 40c packs in the same boat and they come in hotter and the boat performs good but not as well as the Hyperion packs.

I also use hyperion g3 and really like them. The only issue I have is they are a little long and would not fit in my fastech unless I were to cut out the battery trays, whereas the turnigy packs fit well ( they are too think for the tray but I glued in some retaining straps, and I don't need to cut out the trays)

Chief

I haven't had a bad pack from HK yet, Just got 4 nano tech turnigys and they are all well balanced and seem to charge ok.
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

i ordered 10 X turnigy 2s 5000 30 ? C... 6 for me and 4 for a mate... we did a random pick of the 10 and 9 were real good... i got one with a mediocre cell and it still rips half decent.. holds voltage ok and is what i call much better than nimh... 9 outta 10 in my case and i say i m happy enough..

now that they have a US warehouse, items should be able to be returned to that location. Thats what I would request, if I was a customer with an issue.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Unfortunately, they have very few items in that US Warehouse. I suppose it will grow in time.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Unfortunately, they have very few items in that US Warehouse. I suppose it will grow in time.
    But as a customer with a defective product, we are only asking to return the items to their closest location. Not have items sent to us from that location.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Great idea. If they would accept the bad stuff at the US warehouse that would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    But as a customer with a defective product, we are only asking to return the items to their closest location. Not have items sent to us from that location.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Interesting, this speaks volumes about their QC practises. I have purchased only TP batteries in the past and just placed an order for some Turnigy 5000mah 35C 4S1P...the proof will be in the pudding and the freight cost was high, as I suppose they are now following regulations for dangerous goods.

Douggie

Just bought 4 turnigy 1300 25c 3 cells batterys 2 of them came puffed. i have never had a lipo puff in my life and im old. i cant believe they sent me 2 already bad. wasnt worth returning to them thats the bad thing about hongkong batterys

I have 2 20/30c hardcase 5000mAh ones, one was hot when I opened the package...shorted. Opened it and resoldered the wires better, it works but takes a while to balance when charging...

Also got 2 30/40c 5000mAh hardcases(all are black cases) ,one had the balance lead soldered wrongly, positive on negative and negative on positive... soldered it and it works ok.

For the price they are ok(ish), but you need to have some diy spirit in you.

but the packs shorting on airplane is not very safe for the passengers I belive....

are the real dead? or is the voltage to low (your balancer says the cell is dead but it is not,the voltage in one cell is to low)
    i had this manny time`s wit turnigy ,it is not a real problem,just charge the lipo like a nihm cell (no balancer) on 2 amp (not to long) try after a while or your balancer says it is oke and charge him with the balancer ;-)

I drain one 2S 5000mAh 7.4V lipo all the way to empty just to see if I can recover this unit and charged slowly at 1Amp for a while to bring cells voltage to little over 3 volts and after that normal lipo charge at 5 Amp with balancer. This batery is working perfect!
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

I have about a dozen turnigy packs that all work great. Just got 2-more in the mail today. They are perfect. I would hate to see turnigy's quality go downhill. I think they are a great buy.

Never had a problem with the 40c packs and have just received two 45c nano packs, ran them today and have a noticeable performance increase , great for the money

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    I drain one 2S 5000mAh 7.4V lipo all the way to empty just to see if I can recover this unit and charged slowly at 1Amp for a while to bring cells voltage to little over 3 volts and after that normal lipo charge at 5 Amp with balancer. This batery is working perfect!
    I'll give this a try, thanks,

Chief

Anyone see issues with the packs (5000mAh Tunrigy 40c) running awsome for 2-3 mabe 4 laps then seems to drop off about 4ish MPH???
    This is in a UL-1 Setup in an outboard....

Cheers
    Kris

Funny you mention that because I have noticed that after the first few laps, I get a bit of a speed drop off with my 4S 40C-50C 5000's. Thats in my UL1 powered JAE rigger. I'm going to hopefully get a pair of the 45C-90 Nano packs within the next month and give them a try. Then start collecting some Hyperions over the winter.

Overall I thing the Turnigy's are a great sport or budget race pack. My only complaint is the battery lead insulation could be a bit tougher.

I've decided I'm calling it quits on the Turnigy batteries. They seem to be fine for car applications, but in boats they just don't seem to handle the abuse.

I am close to switching all future packs to hyperion as well. I just had 4-6cell flightmax 5000mah 30c packs come in for my 1/8th scale, 1 balanced, 2 of them I am still trying to balance, and 1 had a dead cell. I removed the cell, it was mushy and read 0.00 volts. I am going to order a 2 cell pack and rebuild the 6cell pack. After that, I think Hyperions will be a must. Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast