Thread: Seaking 180 amp ESCs

Default Seaking 180 amp ESCs

Just wanted to know if anyone has used this esc & is it worth buying ? at $98us

Cheers jason.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

It is an absolutely AWESOME esc! For the price, get two. You won't regret it.

I am about to hook one up myself and push it.

I have one and it has held up where other brands fried.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

They are out of stock at this moment, but this is the same ESC and under my login its $77! I have two, no problems, best bang for the buck!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_Boat_ESC

i have one on a 1515 no sweat

Thanks guys , im sick of wasting my money on Hydras & wanted to give this one a try seeing they say it can handle bursts of 360 amps , now i think i will order 2 ...

Cheers jason

I have had mine for about 9 months now and havent had a problem, but i have no experience long term...............a Hydra is high quality from what i have heard and may have a longer "life" for all i know. Sort of like a Hydra is a Lexus and the Turnigy a chevy...................?

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I have had mine for about 9 months now and havent had a problem, but i have no experience long term...............a Hydra is high quality from what i have heard and may have a longer "life" for all i know. Sort of like a Hydra is a Lexus and the Turnigy a chevy...................?
    I have had 3/120 hydras lasted about 4-6 months each & a 240 hydra that lasted 4 months !!! Now i have an on board logger , so i know i havent been drawing to many amps to blow them up , so id rather drive the chevy

The picture shows the quality of hydras when they leave the factory - if you notice the positive & negative battey wire are the wrong way around !!!!! lucky i noticed & didnt wire it up

And ok castle said they would replace it, but i had to pay to send it from Australia to the us ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, you have had first hand experience, sorry to hear about the short life on yours. The turnigy's should be a great value for you.

mine is great

Default lexus

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble,,,,,,,,Lexus just announced a huge recall due to very sick motors........

I trust the Seaking/Turnigy over A hydra 120 any day.

I have one on a castle 1515, 4s. Submerged it for 2-minutes and it still works!!

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble,,,,,,,,Lexus just announced a huge recall due to very sick motors........
    Well, then my analogy fits right in with scoota's experience with the Hydra.............

turnigy 80 hv was great to me also on 6s

pulling 80-100 burned do to my prop, amp selection 80hv, best esc ive owned

if you are scared your not the fastest 180 treats me better than castle

Quote Originally Posted by scoota View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone has used this esc & is it worth buying ? at $98us

Cheers jason.
    They are adequate for the money. And the latest batch or version seems to perform well. But they have inherent problems you should be aware of. Here are some bits of information you can gleen off OSE or any other RC web site.

1st: The bottom plastic "waterproof" cover is not sealed to the PCB board. It has 4 screws that come in thru the heat sink side to secure it but there in no continous bead of sealant. Just at the 4 corners. In other words water leaks in.

2nd: The water nipples going into the heat sink do not all have the same inner diameter holes. Some of the nipples have a .090 hole while other have .135

3rd: All of the wires (5-10ga) coming off the PCB board are soldered into sockets (thats a good thing) but what the designers failed to take into consideration is that those sockets are getting thinly tinned at the factory. What that means is that as current draw increases, the solder joints are getting hot and coming apart.

4th: BEC function is known to die. I suspect its because there is no manufacturer warning about NOT using the BEC with batts above 3S or 12 cells nimh. (thats the norm for almost all other ESC with BEC).

5th: Program features are lacking. There is no option of changing the PWM if you need to due to run different motors.

6th: This ESC cog's or stutters with certain motors. Seems to be more only with 6 or more pole outrunners. But there is a thread here on OSE with someone getting it on a 4 pole inrunner too.

All in all, its a good speedo for the bux. But just be aware its not without its own set of problems and limitations.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Anyway next time someone buys a hydra ,have a look where it is made , some of it is made in mexico now & ask your self how much those poor buggers are getting paid an hour ??? do you still think that care factor is still there ???
    Last edited by scoota; 07-03-2010 at 09:51 PM.