Thread: Weird battery situation

Default Weird battery situation

I have a turnigy 5Ah 3s 20C Lipo that has been run very few times and it displayed when I plugged it into the accucel-6 charger an error message.

I checked the battery using a small device you plug the charge leads into and it said the weirdest thing:

cell 1--->0.2v

cell 2--->6.2v

cell 3--->6.2 v

Now, I know the cells aren't that high because they weren't even close the last time I charged them. I had just pulled the Lipo out of the storage box and checked the voltages when I discovered these numbers. That's when I plugged it into the charger to see if I got the same readings.

The balance tab is bad, I've had to replace most all of mine because they are crap.
    Check each cells voltage via a voltmeter first, this will confirm it's the plug and not the cells.

Plug it back in, and push the balance wires in the plug in for a better contact to the chargers balance plug.

This is a educated guess based on experiences w/HC packs.

I have to cut off the wrap and remove the tape around the battery to get to the parts you check for the voltage right?
    If it is bad do you have any videos or other resources to show how to replace the balnce wires if necessary?

You'll be relieved to read that it's the PLUG on the battery thats having troubles making a good contact.

Voltages can be read via the balance plug also, be very carefull because the contacts are extremely close together. Zzzzzt !

You might be able to get a better connection while trying to charge if you push the wire in the plug from the back of the batterys balance plug. Wiggle it a round a little bit ?

When I get home from class in a little while Ill try it out and see what happens.

I hate chargers that ONLY charge through the balance plug. Is that the way the Accucel works? IF you find the voltages are REALLY that far out, do NOT charge that battery! It is on the verge of destruction!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You know I'm not sure but it has another plug, the discharge plug that is required to be plugged in if it is going to be run. So, it might be able to do both. maybe someone else who knows for sure would chime in.

PS-If i have to discard this battery how do you do it?

To safely dispose of a lipo, put it in a bucket of salt water for a couple days. That will discharge it all the way. Then it is safe and environmentally OK to throw in the trash.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Not sure what happened to an earlier post!

I said:

Use a voltmeter to check each cell through the balance plug. I use T-pins to stick in the plug to read the cells. You can also use a stiff piece of wire.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Great! That's funny though to use saltwater. My next water change in my saltwater aquarium I"ll save some of it.

I have some of those 'small devices' ! Some of them are VERY inaccurate but not usually that far off. Use a regular volt meter like the ones from Harbor Freight afor around $5

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    I have a turnigy 5Ah 3s 20C Lipo that has been run very few times and it displayed when I plugged it into the accucel-6 charger an error message.

I checked the battery using a small device you plug the charge leads into and it said the weirdest thing:

cell 1--->0.2v

cell 2--->6.2v

cell 3--->6.2 v

Now, I know the cells aren't that high because they weren't even close the last time I charged them. I had just pulled the Lipo out of the storage box and checked the voltages when I discovered these numbers. That's when I plugged it into the charger to see if I got the same readings.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Fortunatly, mine has been right on in the past when compared to my accucel charger.

You must plug in the main discharge leads as well as the balance plug for it to charge properly.
    Also, select the "BALANCE" mode on the charger, not the "CHARGE" mode. That will give you a balance charge.
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Is it bad to always charge the Lipos using balence mode?

Not bad.... Good.
    I believe it is best to ALWAYS balance charge your packs. Why would you not?
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Ehhh, just because when I was fist starting out someone had said that you should balence them every third time you charge them and I just decided to do it everytime to be safe.

BALANCE W/ EVERY CHARGE !!

Do yourself a serious favor and do some reading.

I personally thing MaxCramps packs are way over rated and unreliable but they have some good info on care and instructions.

http://www.maxamps.com/pdf/Lipo-Care.pdf

Hey, that is what I do everytime. I only mention it because I was told that a while ago when I was first started. IT doesn't hurt to ask.

I didn't read anything I didn't know in the article.

No it doesn't, wouldn't hurt to do some more reading either ?