Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is scuffing and how do i do it?

RD,
    you always have a neg comment...
    how do you know i got rid of the edges from one small pic?
    infact the edges were not touched...you just had
    to puff up your chest and say something negitive..its ok..thats just who you are.
    you dont like the boat...never have and never will...we get it....
    and (old dog)i was talking about the ekos not a bandit or any other boat....you think
    your the only one who knows how to take 800 grit and scuff off the finish.
    like you said it takes 5min.....if you dont have a ekos then you dont have any data.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Data! Bandits gas mono went 4 mph faster when scuffed on the gun we ran it then scuffed it and ran it again all in about 5 min so there would be little change. if done right it works
    You ask for help on here and some poeple give you help and then you slam them for helping It works on all boats not just Bandits boats that was just a example. now if you want to be rude and slam poeple here it is. only a complete ###$$%%%# would do what you did to your boat. Where did I say I was the only one. It's as# ho## like you that stop poeple from helping becouse they do not want the bull Sh##. FLUID said it right and knows how it works some time poeple should listen and keep quiet. so have a nice day

Sorry to any one I my have offended

LOL Do you want advice? Or do you just want to try to disprove everyone? Sorry, I'll get off my common sense pedestal. My chest is starting to hurt anyhow. This was not a EKOS thread.

Here is how i know that dulling (scuffing )the bottom works. years back i made airboats that where flat on the bottoms that where covered with epoxy and where like shiny glass and i noticed everytime i went over the big lily pads my boat would almost adhear to them and get stuck.... so what i did try is the (scuffing ) dulling of the bottom of my airboats and what it did was make em slide right over the lily pads that would stick to my boats bottom like a suction cup almost stopping them..... so because when you dull the bottom of a boat and then poor water over it it looks like a full sheet of water stays on the bottom and because it worked like this on the airboats the thin layer of water on the boat and on the lily pads acted much more slippery agains each other making the air boat fly across the lillys...so on the water it should do the same.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

here we go again....got the old mans panties in a bunch....
    like i said
    ran boat stock got max speed...
    i told you i scuffed the bottom...no change
    i told you i sprayed the bottom...no change...
    tell your fish story to bassmasters.com...
    if your tring to impress somebody this is the wrong forum...
    anybody try this with a ekos or similar boat....
    hay old man you kiss your boy friend with that mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    LOL Do you want advice? Or do you just want to try to disprove everyone? Sorry, I'll get off my common sense pedestal. My chest is starting to hurt anyhow. This was not a EKOS thread.

i was having a chat with someone who had
    a ekos till you 2 gave your 1.2 cents...
    and disprove or not ,unlike you i gave the exact results...
    not an imo or observation...like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    how do you know i got rid of the edges from one small pic?
    infact the edges were not touched...
    Picture STA74969.JPG in post #21 clearly shows rounded edges to the ride plates as demonstrated by linear highlights reflected in the bedliner from the lightsource along both the top an bottom edge, you can also see the curve in the glass where the pad meets the step, I am not insinuating that your application of the bedliner made them any worse than they were out of the box, but they are not flat. As it seems you have a way of measuring speed to .1mph, would you be good enough to blueprint the ride pads and see how much difference that makes? I dont have the means to measure speed with anything like that accuracy and I either make my own pads which are dead flat or do my blueprinting before it hits the water, I know it must be good for a boat but have no idea how good.

The point is sanding DOES INCREASE THE SPEED IF DONE PROPERLY.

end of story.

Douggie

Will somebody please shoot this thread! The kids are at it again.
    -t

LOL....it is still a good thread. Sanding and blueprinting is the key. Sharp edges...flat ride surfaces and sharp trailing edges are critical.

I've been sanding my ride surfaces since the first time Jay explained it years ago. Back when we ran NiCd we needed every last drip of power. On a mono hull you would notice the amperage difference through the course of a race. Lot's of wetted surface in the turns.

As for speed changes. Not likely. That's just my opinion though. Think about it. There's not much boat in the water at full boogy. If you have a lot of wetted surface maybe you would see a difference.

I haven't messed with testing it. It's just something I do without a thought.....just cuz I always do.

Jeff's right on. Straight surfaces and trailing edges you can cut meat with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    LOL....it is still a good thread. Sanding and blueprinting is the key. Sharp edges...flat ride surfaces and sharp trailing edges are critical.
    Yes it is and some how Rumdog and I are the bad guys for saying that Rumdog would you just give scubasteve95 his soother bake so we do not have to listen to him whine any more It's nice to be old and scubasteve95
    not sure how you think I was trying to impress any one. As for your remarks about my boy friend would you be so kind to say hi to your mom for me
    See I too can be a #ss and that it all for me on this one

old dog aleast we all know how old you are
    your age is the same as your IQ around 60
    and lets all just think for one min.if scuffing was soooo great
    how come all the rc boat manufacturers RTR or OTHER are not doing it
    straight out of the box????
    even traxxas with all of there R&D did not do this to there band new boat.
    you and rumdog a sippen out the same jug.

ok update....
    just got off the phone with traxxas.....and.....
    thay said thay tried scuffed unscuffed and afew other
    thing all with minamal to no affect...i.e.(its a old wifes tale...end quote)

Come on Steve. Ya can't quote traxxis as the foremost authority on boats. They've only just started in boats.

I don't get along with some of these guys either. Mostly because expereinced opinions get crapped on.

Just consider all the opinions and then form your own. Do you have any faith in those providing you their thoughts? Some yes. Some not so much. Heck one of them was a naval engineer that has written books on RC boats. If traxxas knows more than us fools go with their guidance. Some of us can live with that.

For me, I'm going with what ever the fastest guys I know are doing. I knew a guy that swore by Rainex. Worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Come on Steve. Ya can't quote traxxis as the foremost authority on boats. They've only just started in boats.

I don't get along with some of these guys either. Mostly because expereinced opinions get crapped on.

Just consider all the opinions and then form your own. Do you have any faith in those providing you their thoughts? Some yes. Some not so much. Heck one of them was a naval engineer that has written books on RC boats. If traxxas knows more than us fools go with their guidance. Some of us can live with that.

For me, I'm going with what ever the fastest guys I know are doing. I knew a guy that swore by Rainex. Worked for him.
    i like traxxas never steered me wrong before.....
    never wanted to get into all this, was only chating with another guy then
    all this happened..but you are right i have said it before to
    do your own homework and go from there,everyones got an imo
    some just try to force theres on others.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    i like traxxas never steered me wrong before.....
    never wanted to get into all this, was only chating with another guy then
    all this happened..but you are right i have said it before to
    do your own homework and go from there,everyones got an imo
    some just try to force theres on others.
    One thing you got to understand is on boards like this there is no way you are going to only chat about something with one other guy....if you think otherwise i would not bother posting on boards then.

on boards topics can change and go in a totally different direction from what even the original poster posted just the nature of the message board.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Yep. Take Traxxas' word over seasoned FE experts.(not myself) I guess you just don't get it. Read the posts. Read through other threads. Don't take everything so damned personal either. Traxxas is new to FE boats by the way. Just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Yep. Take Traxxas' word over seasoned FE experts.(not myself) I guess you just don't get it. Read the posts. Read through other threads. Don't take everything so damned personal either. Traxxas is new to FE boats by the way. Just like you.
    Ya what do I know I only have about 7 national titles for racing RC boats and used to build them with Bandit boats..

some poeple used to use graphite on there boats> we tested this to and found the same inincrease in speed. I was told by a engineer that the graphite is like about 800gt sandpaper so it would hold the water also.

Short story: same boat, same setup, max speed shiny: around 65kph, max speed scuffed: around 65kph (GPS is not that accurate) BUT mA (out of a 4S 5000mA) over a 6 min race shiny: 4100, scuffed: 3900. Each setup has seen 2 6min rounds.
    PS: as for guys like Traxxas: would you buy a boat that looks used when new?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Rumdog would you just give scubasteve95 his soother bake so we do not have to listen to him whine any more.
    Um..... Whats a soother bake??

I understand the concept of scuffing, and have no doubt that it works on some level, but I'm thinking that it might not be worth the effort in a rc boat hull @ 40-50mph. I imagine it would be near impossible to record any before and after data since there are soo many other variables that come into play when recording top speed on a particular run. If I were a racer I would definetly do it, but as a sport boater....... probably not.

jerry, jerry!!!!

lol cmon guys were here to help eachother in the end....

the scuffing of the ride surfaces especially on outriggers deffinately DOES work.I mainly run Nitro and I have done this on my boats (scuffing) and it works beautifully.

One of the main things on the ride surface is making sure EVERYTHING that touches the water
    is STRAIGHT/FLAT and has SHARP edges. If the hull is one of the ABS units, you will see that the edges are of a rounded nature. Rounded surfaces tend to suck water so to speak and to not ride/glide (if you will) across the waters surface.

So, scuffing and making sure the ride surfaces are nice and sharp are the things that you should be looking for when either building a hull or choosing a hull to set up and run.

Just my 10 cents worth folks.

Carl

There is really no EFFORT to lightly sand with water and some 600 paper. Takes about 5 minutes.

Here is what i found in real running conditions, Nothing very scientific about this test though. I figure the smaller the boat = smaller less powerfull motors involved would benefit from any increace in potential speed gains over say large heavier boats with very powerfull motors. I have a 15"v mono boat that goes around 45mph on 3s with a 3600kv outrunner helicopter motor on Octura x435 (sharpened & balanced). The problem at 45mph the hull has reached its max potential & running literaly right up on the very last part of the v & just the prop the motors torque along with the boats speed will put the boat into a torque roll at 45mph & hits the bottom of the lake at times causing severe damage to the hull / prop & just about any thing else, Even torque rolls when it dosnt hit the bottom are so severe it rips parts like battery & esc trays out. So i decided to put another motor in to tame things down slightly & fitted a 3450kv outrunner motor which was also a less amp motor & ran this motor on the same lake with perfectly calm water (like a mill pond on all tests done). The boat was completelly stable & never went in once despite trying with even longer flat out runs. Went out again same conditions & again never went in once, Speed on this new motor had the edge slightly taken off at max over original motor id used & like i said it ran very happy though still fast. Will continue.

Continued, I decided to wet flat the bottom of the hull with 600 wet & dry in linear strokes ( front to back ) & went out the next day with exact setup in again perfect conditions. ( no wind what so ever). Boat speeds were noticably back up to origanal speeds with the boat going in a number of times & hitting the bottom & this was with the less powerfull motor. All i know is i ran for 2 days on this slightly lower powered motor with no problems what so ever on the same lake in the same place in perfect conditions & after sanding the hull went home with hull damaged yet again. Also exceleration is back up to origanal motor speeds with boat rolling on exceleration. This is nothing very scientific i know but im convinced about the layer of water sticking to the rough hull so you have a thin layer of water that is stuck to the hull passing over water compared with the highly polished finish where its the hull bottom sliding over the water. Like i said these are only 15" hulls with around 300 watt motors so its probably more noticable with this level of power. The decision i have to make is whether to try the original more powerfull motor again now, But only on a deeper lake. Martin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12