Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my rio ep, and want to go faster

Default Got my rio ep, and want to go faster

Well i want to go faster.

I have a sidewinder esc and a vxl motor. Also have a xl-5 esc and a 12t titan. I tried the titan but it got hot even with water cooling and stock prop.

Ive noticed with the motor mount, it looks like you have to use a 550 size motor to run water cooling. Also I tried a 540 sized motor, it was to short ( so no water cooling) and the can wasnt big enough so it still spun inside the mount.

My uses for this boat are mostly speed but wake jumping also

So my question(s) are.
    1. Id kinda like to stick to brushed what motor do you reccomend?
    2. If i were to use my sidewinder esc, how do i add water cooling to it? I use the esc in cars too so dont wanna solder copper tubes to it.
    3. Would a crappy integy fan on the esc keep it cooler than watercooling?
    4. PROPS. What are benefits of 3 bladed props etc..

maybe the motor didnt get as hot as i thought it did (12t titan) It was probably 85 degrees or warmer out and i ran it for probably 10 minutes and it was 150? on 7.2v

1 & 2) I don't know anything about brushed motors but to cool the ESC you could get a cooling plate from here on OSE under the water cooling section. There are a couple sizes that would probably fit underneith the ESC.

3) Probably not, especially considering that these components are isolated inside the hull, meaning no new cool air to blow with the fan.
    4) on the Rio EP my experiance with 3 blade props has been better stability at higher speeds. I got alot less prop walk when I Put one on mine.

prop walk? what is that. What is a good prop you reccomend to use? For my purposes. Mainly speed and some wake jumping

From my understanding prop walk is when the motor torques on the boat and twists it risking flipping the boat or sending it off a straight course.

I actually found that a 38mm or 40mm (stock) is the best for this boat. I have a 3 blade 37 that worked quite well with it. This was the one I tried that gave it alot of stability compared to the bigger two blade.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRDF5&P=0

I'm sure if you looked around though you could probably find a different 3 blade around that size that would suit you. The key is to experiment. I bought 3 or 4 different props and tried them all out then when I decided on a 38mm x 55 pitch prop I got a metal one.

if you dont mind me asking, what set up are you running? motor/esc/prop? any vids

Sure, here is my thread and post 16 has the information and a link to the latest video
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=15477

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    From my understanding prop walk is when the motor torques on the boat and twists it risking flipping the boat or sending it off a straight course.
    I think you might be mistaking "torque roll" for "prop walk"

You described torque roll, usually associated with the prop size/pitch. To combat it, reduce.

Prop walk is the tendency of the stern of the boat to scoot laterally due to the nature of a surface penetrating prop; this is a most common problem in hydroplanes, but is the reason monos turn better to the right.

My recommendation would be to either add gear reduction to a brushed motor, or go brushless. Either case would benefit from removing all the abs from the inside and reinforcing with fiberglass, then adding one of these motor mounts.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

ok i slapped my brushless in this. I smashed the throttle and the hull rolled (spun) a full 360 degrees in the water. (it spun right or clockwise)

so your saying i need that mount to fix this? And the boat has more weight on the left side too.

well, to fix this you wanna think smaller prop, or adding full left when you gun it. What size motor/prop and voltage are you using when it does the barrel roll?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

running a sidewinder esc a vxl motor on 2s lipo and stock prop

I have an 8L (3200KV) on 2S and an m440 prop, here is vid. Your VXL is 3500, right? You might check the timing you have set in the ESC, not too much, go for a mild setting. Mine definitely hops out of the hole, and if I'm not careful will end up on its back as well. Try a 40 mm prop with a little less pitch. Mine was detounged and it seems to help.

post some pics of your interior and the transom when you get a chance.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I actually found that a 38mm or 40mm (stock) is the best for this boat. I have a 3 blade 37 that worked quite well with it. This was the one I tried that gave it alot of stability compared to the bigger two blade.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRDF5&P=0

I'm sure if you looked around though you could probably find a different 3 blade around that size that would suit you. The key is to experiment. I bought 3 or 4 different props and tried them all out then when I decided on a 38mm x 55 pitch prop I got a metal one.
    Is this the prop you bought? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=dh-aqub9755? If so it may not work very well. This is a lifting prop designed for hydros/riggers to lift the transom out of the water. Normally doesn't work well on monos.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

No the metal one I got was from a guy in my local boat club that owns a prop company. He said it wasnt a lifter but ought to work well and it does. I started off with a coue carbon filled and glass filled plastic props from here on OSE.

No the metal one I got was from a guy in my local boat club that owns a prop company. He said it wasnt a lifter but ought to work well and it does. I started off with a coue carbon filled and glass filled plastic props from here on OSE.
    O SWEEEEET...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

well as of now everything is in its stock location except the esc, its just sitting left of the prop shaft inside the hull.

How do i know if the props has less pitch then the one i have. im new to boats so i dont know much. Could you give me a link to a prop that u think would work

how about a 38mm or K40?

It depends on how hot your motor is getting and on how many cells you are running.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

im getting about 10 minutes runtime with my setup and its barely getting warm.

I previosly ran a traxxas xl-5/titan 12turn combo in mine. The motor didnt last that long, but it gps'd at 20mph. Bought a graupner race 8.4 brushed motor, and got less speed. Then I switched props to a venom 36mm 3-blade from my ekos and that really woke-up the boat! The stock 42mm prop was really bogging down and heating up the motors I was using. When I propped down, the rpm really came up on the graupner motor as well as the speed.

I'm gonna get another titan 12-turn and give it another try with the smaller prop. I was really impressed with the performance of that motor. I just hope it does'nt burn again!

I also got a 2-blade octura 535 I wanna try out.

So what 3 blade did you exactly buy? LINK?

Its one of the stock props off the venom electric king of shaves. Its 366mm x 1.4 pitch. 4mm shaft though, so I had to shim it to fit the 1/8 shaft on the rio.

I ran my rio today on an octura 535 2-blade, and was pretty impressed. Holeshot was nice, got up to speed quickly, ran smooth and handled well. Better speed and performance than the stock prop. The motor ran cooler too.

I am also using a 4000mah 2s turnigy lipo, which is much lighter than any nimh pack. I'm sure this helped out wiuth the speed as well!

any vid?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

+1 on the video!

I just got one of those Flip video cameras. I'm gonna try and get the wife to come out to the lake with me and take some vids of my fleet. I am waay overdue on some videos!

so how did you shim it? and did the other prop work better than the king of shaves one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast