Thread: Miss Elam Brushless problem

Default Miss Elam Brushless problem

I have a stock boat with 2S, 30C 4500 Lipo's & Octura X642, ESC was re-programed to run LiPo's. I may have an ESC problem & I wanted to get an opinion.

I was running my Elam for only the 3rd time & it seemed OK for 2 min. or so but then stopped dead in water. I turned transmitter off & then on & I was able to get it going again. I confirmed there was water cooling as I could see outlet flow. Then 1 min again it stopped & I could barely bring it to shore with the prop turning a few very slow revolutions.

Question; do most ESC's have a temp cutoff before they overheat, is this what could have stopped boat ?
    When I got it to shore ESC & Motor were very hot (sorry no temp sensor). I Let it cool down & hooked up batteries & no motor function, perhaps ESC may be dead ?

If the ESC is dead are there any recommendations to replace the stock Proboat ESC, I think it is 45A or so.

Thanks in advance to any comments or suggestions.
    Keith

It's possible the esc burned but from my experience they are pretty tough esc's. Maybe the x642 is too much prop if you are running with the stock strut. It's pretty deep and may have overstressed the esc.

With the boat stock I've had good luck with an x440 and x442 I was worried about sticking the x642 on with the stock setup. I had a 642 in the box but figured it was to much prop for the stock esc until I would be able to make some strut adjustments to get the prop out of the water. Only problem is you need an adjustable strut for that.