Thread: Mini V or Mini C?

Arrow Mini V or Mini C?

Hey guys,

Don't have any small boats yet and these look like a lot of fun!

Thinking about possibly getting either a Proboat Mini V or a Mini C.

Currently all I own is V-hulls so I have no experience with the Cats.

Which would you suggest and why, and what are the benefits downfalls of each style?

Thanks guys!

Subscribed
    Wanting a small boat myself,curious to hear more.

Default mini-v

Well, I have the mini-v's. That is what I started with buying a set off of ebay, and stuck with it. I thought about getting a mini-C, but never ended up doing it. I do have a 15" cat sea rider, and I am glad I went with the mono in this size due to flipping. The cat is nice and stable, but if you play in the waves you will eventually end up flipped. The mono's are difficult to flip over, cats have a tendance to float upside down just as well as right side up.

The hull of the mini V is also wide open, so that might help with changing components out. The only thing I do not like about the mini-v's is the bottom design. It transitions to a very shallow vee, almost like a PT boat. with the built in rocker, the prop runs more like a submerged drive than a surface drive, but they are fun and stable in the mid teens for speed. You get about a 2" to 3" chop and you are doing some serious offshore racing and hopping! If you get about 3 or 4 all setup the same, it is a lot of fun.

Brian

I want a fast 17-18" boat, personally dont have preference weither it's a mono or a cat. I do prefer the look of the cat over a mono tho. I ideally would like 30mph capablilities without worries of capsizing in the smallest of wake/waves. Is it possible to have a micro smooth runner that can handle rougher waters like I wish for ?? I know it asking a lot.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=15451
    this is the link for my mini v brushless setup. i originally was going to get the C too, but went with the V. i added a 450 size outrunner, x430 prop, and a OSE strut flex shaft and rudder. with a 25a esc and 3s, this thing torque rolled uncontrollably. thats what i get for using a outrunner. so i ditched the outrunner for a turnigy 2835 2700kv inrunner. i detounged my prop which helped a lot. but even with the battery on the right side, the boat still ran tilted. from a standstill it would shoot out of the water and barrel roll. i could never get past half throttle because it was uncontrollable. with my setup i might of been able to hit 35+mph. this thing is freaking ridiculous. it porpoises SOOOO much. thats why you should NOT get the mini v. UNLESS, you take out the rocker to make it a surface drive, if you do that the OSE mini strut and rudder will be perfect. i would also go with a x427 prop to stop torque roll. but i couldn't becuse i bought the clockwise flex cable and they dont make a x427r. so last nigh i ordered a mini c. i am transferring eveyrthing to that. i like cats a lot more too.

So perhaps the Mini C might be a better choice if you plan to up the power then?

definetly, because the V porpoises SOOOOOOOOOO much its uncontrollable after about 20mph. with the C you can power up and still go fast and stable. get the C. ill be posting a build log when mine comes on thurssday.

I have also done both mods on a v and c and agree that the c is the better one. With that being said though you still have to drive the mini c carefully. Mine has a 3800kv motor and even on 2s it will flip if you are not watching it. I think a 3000kv motor might be a better choice in this boat.

Good info! I just picked up a used mini-v and mini wildcat package for 90-bucks!

Thanks guys. Just bought 3 used Mini C's!!! They came as a package deal...and there might be some things that don't work but I plan to get them all up and running like new and Plan to sell one or two of them depending on what parts, if any need to be replaced and my cost involved in doing so....so if anyone is planning on getting one of these I should have some to sell in a week or so!

Better yet I got one in each color/frequency...a White one, Yellow one, and a Red one

So I have been into R/C for 1 month now...and this makes...uh 6 boats and 1 truck in my collection...ya I am gonna have to sell one or two of these lol
    Last edited by Visual Perfection; 06-20-2010 at 06:42 PM.

These are fun little boats. Hopefully there is enough good parts to make 1-good running boat. The rest can be used for brushless projects! Your hooked now VP!

what kind of speed do they run stock? 10mph...15mph?

Just curious as my 30" Marlin Cruiser does about 13mph so just trying to gauge what kind of speed these little buggers will do.

Definitely am excited to tear into them..but at least one of them will have to be sold to help pay for the other two lol.

well my borther got a mini c last year as his first boat. he hated it so much. well i love them, he just hated it because he hates how much it cavitates and how slow it was. but the hulls from them are great. they are awsome brushless. when mine comes i plan on running it for a while. but the cutting it in half and maybe add an extension to the back that is not stepped. like the bigger cats. to make it look scale. then i will use it as a mold and vacuum form over it with .060" abs sheet. this will give me a good hull. but a little long.and ill make my own single cockpit hatch. i post pics when i do this. oh and i plan on making a carbon fibre rudder since my ose rudder is to small. i took all the brushless stuff from my mini v except the rudder. and threw in some brushed stuff. like a 400 motor,mini rio flex drive and prop,small esc,7.4v lipo and reciever.ill post pics also of this maybe tommorrow.

Well I think it will be a fun boat stock to run in the pool, in small ponds etc..

I have my other boats for speed and bigger size so I wanted something Mini and decided the Cat was what I wanted as I have all V hulls currently.

Guess we shall see what I think when they arrive!

The one thing you will want to do once you get one going on the stock hardware is to either sharpen the stock prop or replace the prop and prop shaft with one from and SW26. The later will bring it up on plane much faster and increase it's speed some. If you bought these mini's from Hobb-e-mart on ebay they sometimes say specifically what is wrong and sometimes not(have gotten both mini-v and c's this way) Usually aren't too big a deal to get going though.

Sounds good..I actually have 3 stock SW26 props that horizon sent me as replacements since I broke a few on my SW26 brushless. Thanks for the tip!
    Ya it didnt say specifically what was wrong with them so it was kinda a shot in the dark and a risk...but I hope to get all three up and running and keep one or maybe two for myself and find a good home for the third one.

one of the biggest upgrades you can do is do use a 2cell lipo. it helps a lot. just like a 800mah to 100mah to save one wiehgt. i have two of them that i paid $5 for each.

You can throw a 480 motor in there really easily, it fits great (just a tad bit longer which takes a wee bit adjusting)