Thread: UL-1 Runnin Hot

Default UL-1 Runnin Hot

I bought an Ammo 2300kv motor with the upgrade cooling can and put it in my UL-1 along with a Hydra 120 esc with BEC.Its run on 4s.I have separate water pick ups for the motor and esc.The motor runs 151 degrees,esc 105,batteries 111,BEC 97 degrees.I used a Grimracer 40x52/3 prop.to start with these temps.Is this prop too big?I really dont get why the motor gets so hot when the esc is almost 50 degrees cooler.Both pick ups get plenty of water,so thats not the problem.The water temp was 88 degrees.Id like to get my motor to run cooler so I can run for more than 2 minutes.And my strut is set to 7/8 of an inch.If that makes any difference.The boat doesnt run wet at all.I dont want to run less than 4s but I dont want to prop down too much as Ill lose speed.Im also pretty sure this prop is the same size as the stock one that came with the boat.Its just metal.I also upgaded the cooling tube size to 1/4 outside diameter.One side is resricted to slow the water down because before it was flowing too fast and not soaking up heat in the system.Im at a loss on getting the motor temp down.

The prop is a bit much for that motor, try a Prather 215 or 220
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    The prop is a bit much for that motor, try a Prather 215 or 220
    Are those smaller diameter?Im unfamiliar with prop numbers in relation to size for the most part.I have a lot to learn,but I dont wanna lose a lot of speed with this motor.If so,Ill just run the stock 2030kv and sell this one.Arent you the guy that modifies props?If so,can we talk about having you do some mods to a few of what I have?Thanks for your help.

151 degrees doesn't sound too hot for this time of year. The Grimracer L40x57/3 prop is a 50mph prop in perfect water conditions. Lower your strut to 1" or 1 1/16".

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Are those smaller diameter?Im unfamiliar with prop numbers in relation to size for the most part.I have a lot to learn,but I dont wanna lose a lot of speed with this motor.If so,Ill just run the stock 2030kv and sell this one.Arent you the guy that modifies props?If so,can we talk about having you do some mods to a few of what I have?Thanks for your help.
    The 215 is about the same diameter and the 220 is slightly larger but they are 2 bladed props with a bit more pitch. Less surface area and they don't really have any tongue so top speed should be higher. Yes I am the prop guy and would be more than happy to help you with props you already have.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    The 215 is about the same diameter and the 220 is slightly larger but they are 2 bladed props with a bit more pitch. Less surface area and they don't really have any tongue so top speed should be higher. Yes I am the prop guy and would be more than happy to help you with props you already have.
    Ok.Thanks alot.I will definitly get back to you on the props.Thanks for your help with prop suggestions too.

Talking ul1 props

the 215-220 props are not lifterr props. i run the 38-55 grim racer and i'm pushing 45mph.

The M445 isn't a lifter and I run 48+ mph ... but he is not running the stock motor.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I ran these props and all made the motor hot-x442,40x52 3 blade,and a L38x52.With the Octura prop,the strut was all the way up-ran 51.1mph.With the 3 blade-ran 50.0mph.With the L38x52-51.0 with a 7/8 strut depth.I can hit 50mph with a 40x57 3 blade with the stock motor.I might be selling the Ammo 2300kv and Hydra 120 soon.No need for it if I can run 50 with the stock motor and esc and run cool again.The 38x52 couldnt plane out for about 50ft and turning it seemed to get off plane.Back to stock and with the 442 and a 40x57 soon as it gets here.