Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stiletto Race Prep

Quote Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
    How does it feel to have your name and picture on the box!?!
    I leary of it, to be honest with you. Guess it's going to depend on how well received the boat is once people start getting them!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

It's not just on the box...

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

They should have put Darins face on the driver in the cockpit!

NO WAY!! We want to sell boats!!!!

Andy

Nice looking boat!

Darin,

Nice boat, I am going to order one of these........

thanks,
    Steve

Me three.....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

This thing looks sexy!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Will these bind to a DX6i ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Will these bind to a DX6i ?
    Yep, the MR200 will bind to all DSM2 aircraft radios according to the manual.

Marine receivers bind with Aircraft Transmitters.

Aircraft receivers do NOT bind with Marine transmitters.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    Marine receivers bind with Aircraft Transmitters.

Aircraft receivers do NOT bind with Marine transmitters.

Andy
    You mean I can't fly my MCX2 with my DX3S?

Quote Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
    Yep, the MR200 will bind to all DSM2 aircraft radios according to the manual.
    Kachinga!

Is the hull fiberglass or wood over foam?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Fiberglass with wood reinforcements (transom, etc).

Andy

Great! Thanks.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Do you need me to take pix of mine (what's visible, anyway)? It's a proto, but I'm pretty sure it's the final non-painted one and should be the same construction as production.

Andy

That would be great Andy. I hope they will offer them in unpainted but I doubt it. I hate that. every one looks the same!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    That would be great Andy. I hope they will offer them in unpainted but I doubt it. I hate that. every one looks the same!
    They are all painted white... the color is all decals and they peel off very easily... oh, except for the silver on the top of the cowl... it's paint as well...

What are you looking for pics of?? Let me know, I'll see what I have to post.

Darin
    Just make bunch of good quality close ups if you have little time......
    Will have to satysfy ourselfs with pictures for now....
    Thanks in advance
    Robert
    (driver of one of them when available in Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    They are all painted white... the color is all decals and they peel off very easily... oh, except for the silver on the top of the cowl... it's paint as well...

What are you looking for pics of?? Let me know, I'll see what I have to post.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Default Thanks for the effort

Darin, You have worked hard to contribute to the hobby. This is just another example. Thanks...
    Larry Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kirby View Post
    Darin, You have worked hard to contribute to the hobby. This is just another example. Thanks...
    Larry Kirby
    Wow... thank you Larry! I couldn't have done any of this if it wasn't for all the help I got starting out from you and Dick, and the rest of the PSFEMBC gang. We miss you out there. Hope to see you again VERY soon!

OK, let's get down to business....

First race weekend out, with some very minor updates, and the results are very promising.

Out of the box, simply because I just KNOW this needs to be done, I replaced the contacts with 5.5's for the motor, and 6mm for the battery. Again, I'd used 5.5's on the battery as well, but all of mine were previously setup with 6mm, and I'm too cheap/lazy to replace them all.

That's it... that's all I did to it.

Results... well.... I first ran it with the stock stainless prop. Handling was good, and the speeds were right around 40mph. For many people, they could race it right there and be in the mix in many clubs.

However, in our club, we have to go much faster, so the prop work begins... After fumbling around with it on Saturday at the NAMBA D8 race hosted by PSMBC in Lakewood, WA, where I was running in second behind Brian Buaas in several of the heats before I rolled the boat each time, not finishing one of the 4-heats, we discovered that the style of props I was trying was all wrong for this boat.

I had been working with round-eared props because that's what seems to work on the VS-1 setups, and on my WoodStuff 28. However, when I tried them on this hull, with the somewhat abrupt startup power of the PB ESC, the boat would almost flip on startup, making just launching it difficult.

Went back to an X-Series, and things got better.

After Saturday, I went home and spend some time blue-printing the bottom. This involved simply block sanding the sponsons and, using a flat setup board, making sure they were completely true. After talking to Eric Bourlet and Mark Anderson and Mike Hughes at the D8 race on Saturday, they told me that MOST tunnels on the market need to have this done... even the mightly Lynx, so I took my time and got the sponsons very true and very sharp.

WOW, what a difference. For the second half of my double header this weekend, I raced with my Puget Sound Fast Electric club at Mirror Lake in Federal way, and the results were MUCH different. I ended up second on the day, behind Greg Schweers and his freaking FAST Cobra w/ UL-1 package, but more importantly, the boat handled great, drove great, didn't do anything stupid, and showed that it has a lot more speed in it with some good setup time and the right prop.

I'm not going to say yet what prop I used all weekend, because frankly, it was a little too much load for the motor. Motor temps were fine, but the wires got HOT, and I don't want to recommend anything yet until I'm sure everything will survive. Frankly, one weekend's worth or running isn't enough to make any recomendations anyhow.

I'll get some pics of the bottom work I did tonight and post them. Here are some shots of the contact replacements. I have some more advice as well. Some things that I would recommend updating if you are going to race this, but I'll post that all later as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darin Jordan; 06-28-2010 at 11:11 AM.

A couple more tidbits...

Batteries - I ran ThunderPower 40C 5000s using two 2S hardcase packs, for most of the heats. Also ran it with a single 45C 4400 4S1P pack, and then with a single 40C 5000 4S1P hardcase pack...

In all cases, the balance was the same, and the boat drove the same. Might have been just a TAD more stable with the two 2S packs, due to a lower CG, but I think the effects of this were minimal.

Used around 2400-2600 mah during the course of a 1-mile race, but keep in mind that the setup is NOT operating at a good efficiency yet due to the prop I was running. Once the setup gets dialed up, I expect temps to lower and the battery usage to stabilize.

Jerry Dunlap was nice enough to send me some pics he took over the weekend...

GREAT SHOTS, Jerry! Thank you!!

Prop used for these pics was a slightly backcut Grim 44x66... Had good speed, but handling was not great in the turns. Might have been the rest of the setup, I can't say yet, but nothing got hot, so it was good in that respect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty.

Oh man - his picture is on the box - look out guys you are gonna have to make the doors to the meeting hall bigger!!!!! Just to get his head inside!

Just kidding Darin!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

It's not just the box ...

Andy

I'm curious...what's the fine print say above the side of the windshield?? Driver something something??

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    I'm curious...what's the fine print say above the side of the windshield?? Driver something something??
    Apparently, someone in the PB graphics department was being cute...

Luckily, the decals can be peeled off with relative ease!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast