Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Stiletto Race Prep

well after reading and re-reading this thread I took the plunge today and ordered mine, can't wait :)
    thanks guys for all the input it made my choice of boat easy, I used to run a tunnel hull back in the day, hope it don't take long to get back in the groove

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    well after reading and re-reading this thread I took the plunge today and ordered mine, can't wait :)
    thanks guys for all the input it made my choice of boat easy, I used to run a tunnel hull back in the day, hope it don't take long to get back in the groove

Tom
    You'll dig it. THere's also a new Horizon Hobby running video to check out while you're waiting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjVk6w_8Zs

Well I got my boat and have to say the hull quality is great, the out board though was another thing, the prop could just be turned by hand, if I had run it like this I would have been another with a snapped flex or worse, I carried out the mods outlined here and it's now running free, took it for it's first run and was really pleased with the speed although the nose was running a little too high flipped it a couple of times, so it needs some time adjusting stuff, really pleased with the boat, thanks all for the tips, saved me a whole lotta grief

Tom

Has anyone addressed the issue of cooling the motor first? Then the ESC? Here's what I did. Just seemed like the right thing to do cool the ESC first then the motor. Please give me your take on this. (The other line is for the oiler)28.jpg31.jpg32.jpg
    You're never too old to learn something stupid.

I also made a new cover to replace the clear one. .030 ABS Should a ton easier to tape down and it gives a little more clearance for the steering cables.16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg

I also raised the tiller arm to get more cable clearance. I couldn't stand having those cables dragging on that OEM cover. But then I made a new cover anyway. Just makes it a little easier to get the cover on and off.11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

This is fantastic. Can you share some more details about how you made it and where you got the .03 ABS? Is it just a smaller piece glued on to a larger piece?

Quote Originally Posted by in-d-boat View Post
    I also made a new cover to replace the clear one. .030 ABS Should a ton easier to tape down and it gives a little more clearance for the steering cables.16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg

36.jpg37.jpgI used Evergreen abs sheets. I'm sure Plastruct has .030 plastic as well. Got it from Tower Hobbies. Actually I cut a piece to the inner dimension of the battery compartment. Then cut a piece to the outer dimensions and spaced the two apart with five strips approximately an inch wide. The reason for spacing the inner piece down was so the cover wouldn't slip off sideways when ya tape her down. Plus it makes it a little lighter over using three solid pieces.

38.jpg39.jpgThese are the fittings I used for the oiler and the water exits. I threaded the nut on the fitting first, then cut the nipple off(where the Exacto blade is pointing) (Putting the nut on first, cutting, then removing the nut help keep the threads in place) This makes the fitting a little shorter and easier to work with in that tight space. I drilled out the oiler fitting to 1/8 inch and ran some annealed brass tubing through it. The water exit I did the same thing but drilled it out to accept 5/32tubing. I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by in-d-boat; 08-06-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

33.jpgAnd what's with this 3/8 inch(wrench size) nut??????? Did your boats come with this goofy thing on it? Musta run out of the correct ones and slapped on what they had.20.jpg I also drilled out the two 4MM motor mounting screws to 8/32. For a longer bolt. I couldn't put any flat washers on the 4MM screws and have any room for the Nyloc nut. No flat washers on a slotted adjustment isn't a good idea. Also has anyone tightened the two screws down only to have the motor still move in the mount? The upper bolt hole on the motor had too much tolerance in it and you can't tighten the screw tight enough to pinch the motor tight. Was another reason for going to a slightly larger bolt. I also made a .013 shim to take up the space between the motor and the mount on the top hole.
    Last edited by in-d-boat; 08-04-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: addition

Where did you get the 8/32 screws? Mine also came with the 3/8 nut on the prop and I asked the same question

40.jpgI got the 8/32 stainless steel screws at Home Depot along with some SS washers (already had the Nyloc nuts). I bought them a little long and cut them to fit. Also bought the new flange nut (Zuber nut) from Kintec (OSE has them as well) and double nutted it with a 10/32 Octura bullet. Much more attractive I think.

you might want to change the outdrive for one from hyperformance the original ones develop a lot of play very fast imo
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

PSA.jpg Thanks Chiefy. You do mean just the prop shaft assembly, right? And get one of their cables as well? Supposed to be good from what I've read.

Yeah exactly what I mean I was being hurried up when I posted that message, yeah talk to them directly and tell them you want the flex shaft with the black spiral line along its length its a drop in fit, I run both and never had a problem since with broken shafts or a sloppy drive
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

Okay I have the right flex shaft got mine from hyperformance products and it is the one with the black line spiraling around it. And I bought the brass tubing to make the new housing for it 7/32 is this right? Because when I put the shaft in there it seems really loose? Do I have the right size? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FastVee View Post
    Sent email to Horizon with a link to this thread, will report what(or if) they reply.

It is allways difficult to solve warranty issues long distance, I live in Finland and even thought of sending the boat back, but that would cost me over 300€ ! -the post is so expensive over here to send anything overseas. -even ups wants over 200€.... -so I will keep and fix this even if Horizon wont help me out here with the parts needed.(not saying they wont, lets see what happens)

Pate
    I have not had any reply from horizon yet... so nuff said about their customer care

I just tried the boat with x442 and it went nutz.. -at wot it went fast! -then it took off and flew high and landed hard. Now I need to repair the sponsons. -both cracked at the rear where the tunnel meets the sponson.

-Pate

Sorry to hear that. Off topic can someone please tell me if I put a 120amp ESC in the her and run a 3 cell battey will I be fine? It say with the motor that comes with her is a 1800kv and a 120amp ESC you can go to 6 cells but I will just go with the 3 in paralelle. also can I just run the 3cell on the stock 60amp ESC that came with her? And If I put the 120 in her and run two cell 7.4 lipos will it suck them down so fast the batteries won't be able to handle it? Please I hope someone can answer these for me. Tap!! Tap!!! is this thing on???????????????

What is the up grade prop 42x55 or 40x55? Thanks

The best way for you to go is a 4cell 5000mah pack that way you can place it for the best balance, but u could use 2 packs of 2cell 5000 in series and get good run time imo I would not go the 3 cell option it wont produce enough power u need 14.8 volts

Im looking at running 5s on the stock motor. Will the stock esc handle 5s on low timing or do I need to upgrade the esc???? Got all the other upgrades done besides the lipo. I run mine now as is on Thunderpower 65c 5000mah 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway View Post
    Im looking at running 5s on the stock motor. Will the stock esc handle 5s on low timing or do I need to upgrade the esc???? Got all the other upgrades done besides the lipo. I run mine now as is on Thunderpower 65c 5000mah 4s.
    mine does and 2 other friends do, so far no prob, but we are probably pushing our luck,
    Last edited by Driggs; 09-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Horizon said the motor is no problem on 5s. But that esc is another story. Ill give it a whirl.

Put 3 cell in there and she was really fast but I let the smoke out of the ESC. So put a 120 amp in there and will run the 3 cell sunday when I go to the pond. I am telling you with the 3 cell it was smoken fast had to slow way down for the turns not that good at turning yet but out of the turns she was gone!!!!!!!! :) :)

3cell???? I run mine routinely on 4s with zero problems. Its how its meant to be ran from the factory. Its setup for 4s lipo's. Mines between 40-45 as is with the prop I have on 4s and to me its slooooow. Seeking 50+mph. Not racing, more of drag racing/bashing.

Im going 5s and if the esc smokes who cares? Ill slap in a hydra Ice then, no biggie!

Maybe the Esc was bad because I lost every thing but stering. These batteries are fully max for my jet and they burst at 95c so I don't know if that had any thing to do with it. The guy at horizon said would not doubt that the ESC could handle 6 cells. But like I said I could have got a bad one. New one on the way but now I have the 120amp in there should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway View Post
    Im going 5s and if the esc smokes who cares? Ill slap in a hydra Ice then, no biggie!
    that's my feeling too, I run mine with a x440 3 blade also, you will snap the flex shaft, I'm trying the hyperformance shaft to see if it holds up, it is a lot better shaft, I have a few videos of mine on 5 cell, also I.dont run 5 cell all the time,

You know I bought all that stuff for the flex shaft and have not broke the stock one. Knock on wood I did loosen the end nut just a hair so it is not so tight and there is a little play. But I am charging batteries right now for tomorrow because she was smoken fast on just three cells. Now I have the 120amp ESC in there she should be okay. When you guys say 5cell batteries is that just one big 5 cell? Or a 2cell and 3cells hooked up together? nI don't mah make a differance because I ran mine on the 2cell 5000mah x 2 made 10.000mah. And the put the 3 cell 3300mah in there x 2 and that is 6600mah and 11.1 . Can you please tell me What is the burst rating on your 5cell set ups ? Thank for any help this battery and boat is new to me. I would just stick them in my jets and fly!!!!!!!

I run one 5 cell, 30/40 c ,

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast