Thread: Turnigy 180 ESC Problems

Default Turnigy 180 ESC Problems

I smoked the stock ESC on 4s so i decided to install the turnigy 180 ESC, Programmed it got everything to work except one problem, The motor revs high rpm's when its out of the water, Put it in the water hit full throttle and it gets high rpm and cavatates the prop, takes off and as soon as the prop hooks up it takes off like a missile, but only for about 1.5 seconds then it starts going slow, like it only has half throttle and no power, But at the same time its way more power than like if the lipo cutt off hit. it doesnt make sense to me. It kinda drives around like the batteries are almost about to hit the cutoff but i pulled the batteries out and they practically have a full charge!

I have the programming set at:
    running mode: forward and backward
    lipo cells: 4 cells
    low voltage cutoff: 3.2v/cell
    timing: 11.25 degrees

Any help would be great thank you...

Cuttoff should be at 3.7V per cell

Try foward only ie Forward/brake

Apart from that it sounds a lot like a prop problem, which prop are you using.

im running an octura m445 and the highest cutoff it will let me set is 3.4v/cell And what about the timing?

but its not like it cant turn the prop its like it goes into a limp mod or something because i ran the prop with the stock ESC and the boat was REALLY REALLY fast.

What cells are you using? Are you using the programming card?

Might deemed a silly question but is your shaft tight & not slipping?

not using the programing card just doing it through the controller with the beeps im running two 2s flightmax batteries!

shaft is tight.

also if you pull the batteries out and reset it , it will repeat its self again and do the same thing! im guessing its something in the ESC but im not sure

I'll bet you ARE hitting the Lipo cutoff. If you want to test this drop the LVC to 3.0 or lower and take a spin and see if it happens. DO NOT run it like this for too long. Just to see if it corrects the problem.

We have had a couple do it when running it in "Auto Lipo Count"

yep, what c rating and how many mah are the cells? Sounds like the lvc. If you packs cant deliver the req'd amps voltage will drop below the lvc.

Quote Originally Posted by siranger View Post
    I smoked the stock ESC on 4s so i decided to install the turnigy 180 ESC, Programmed it got everything to work except one problem, The motor revs high rpm's when its out of the water, Put it in the water hit full throttle and it gets high rpm and cavatates the prop, takes off and as soon as the prop hooks up it takes off like a missile, but only for about 1.5 seconds then it starts going slow, like it only has half throttle and no power, But at the same time its way more power than like if the lipo cutt off hit. it doesnt make sense to me. It kinda drives around like the batteries are almost about to hit the cutoff but i pulled the batteries out and they practically have a full charge!

I have the programming set at:
    running mode: forward and backward
    lipo cells: 4 cells
    low voltage cutoff: 3.2v/cell
    timing: 11.25 degrees

Any help would be great thank you...
    I had this exact same problem. Upgraded my battery connectors to bullets and used higher C rated batteries and it went away. Also went down a prop size and up in MPH. (went from 40c total to 80c total)

There's a low voltage protection mode when it draws more than the cells can deliver apparently.

Hope this helps.

i gotta private message askin if i was running old batteries and they were old have ran them in a lot of stuff, put two brand new ones in and everything worked great! the esc and motor temps stayed were at 105 when the run was finished.

Nice!