Thread: 60+ mph What's your set up :)

Default 60+ mph What's your set up :)

I'm looking at pushing this boat and I would like to know what you all are using in your EKOS to make it hit 60+ mph.

Hopes Nd dreams everything stays intact lol more so props and shafts. No really good cooling, strong motors, probably 5s lipos and props and a good strong 120A ESC. All of your choice hate when a group have the same motors and set up. Doesn't make it intresting. Ohh and a gps to prove along with a video of install and removal.

I just had mine out again with brand new 9XLs and 2x3S...these new engines run real smooth compared to stock, but the top end speed I am thinking that the boat is calling for 2 x 4S Lipos. I am running with 36mm Venom machined props and am wondering if Octura 442s will make a huge difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jericho View Post
    I just had mine out again with brand new 9XLs and 2x3S...these new engines run real smooth compared to stock, but the top end speed I am thinking that the boat is calling for 2 x 4S Lipos. I am running with 36mm Venom machined props and am wondering if Octura 442s will make a huge difference?
    9xl should do just fine on two 4s according to another guy who runs it.
    not sure on amp draw difference on 9xl but you will sure gain a few Mph going from 36 to 42. Not the best thing to try on the stock ESC as 10xl on 40mm props was already getting closer to 60.
    I think that you will get very close to 60 on 9xl and x442, might have to play with the setup to get the best speed.
    Last edited by vasy; 06-15-2010 at 06:40 PM.

What 70 mph on just a 4 mm bump from factory on a 9 xl what batterys 4s or 5s. No way I have to see tge video for that to believe that lol

Put it in your car and drive down the highway....that will get you to 60!

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    What 70 mph on just a 4 mm bump from factory on a 9 xl what batterys 4s or 5s. No way I have to see tge video for that to believe that lol
    oops... typo.. corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Put it in your car and drive down the highway....that will get you to 60!
    Ya, kinda like that king ON 8s :)

Lol hmm 9xl on 5s I'll believe 60 maybe even with light weight batterys even and strut pitch at -1 or -2 with fresh balanced batterys. You'd have to go to 540's to get 70mph then the boat is probably heavy say 7 pounds.

leopard 2860 2700kv ,2 seaking 120s,40mm graupner props,on 2 hyperion 4s packs i run high 50s-low 60s very reliably all day long.ose has the props just get one regular and and one reverse rotation and the 3/16 brass adaptor sleeve for the flex prop shaft

I just toasted my port motor so it looks like upgrade time. I'm thinking leopard 2860 2700kv and 2 Seaking 120s. When I look at the stock setup, I notice that the motors appear different. One has three screws holding the end cap and the other only has one in the center. The port motor always ran about 10 to 15 degrees hotter. I checked the the drives and both were well lubed and turned freely. My question is are the motors different as they are counter rotating? The wires on the ESC to the motor are the same and not reversed. Since there is a split channel for the two ESC's you can't reverse one. Anybody else's motors look different?? Thanks for any info.

Hello Motor rotation can be changed by swithcing any two of the three wires coming from the motor to the esc. Be aware that the drive cables are wound as left and right. If you reverse the motor switch the cables as well or you could get an unwound cable mess. Not sure about the motors looking different.
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

the motors should be the same

Hey thanks and your right. It looks like its how they wired the power to the ESC. There are three wires going to the port side and two to the starboard.

??? Got pictures ? All brushless motors have three wires that I have ever seen.
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

Sorry, what I meant to say was that the connectors to the receiver. I know they split the channel to control the two ESC's. One connector has three wires from the receiver and the other has two, a black and a white wire. I'm guessing thats how they get the counter rotation by reversing the signal cable.
    Thank You

all you have to do to get a motor to counter rotate is switch around two of the motor wires.the reciever wires are set up that one esc is the main one and the other kind of piggybacks off it.if you try to program the esc's manually you will have to do one at a time then switch the reciever y harness around and then do the other esc.

The ESC to Rx wires are different due to the BEC so one of the leads has had the red wire cut as only one BEC needs to operate. This has nothing to do with the motor rotation. Each ESC has a BEC circuit to provide power to the Radio and Servo.

To program the ESC's you can unplug them from the Y-harness and use a programming card for each one individually.

To change the rotation of the motors you can change any two of the the three motor wires and the motor will change direction.

The left side motor should turn Clock-wise and the right side motor CCW. This will provide lift on power to keep the hull out of the water as much as possible.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Thanks Chris. I understand the purpose of the counter rotating props. I have to replace my port motor as it has burned out. I first noticed that the motors were different. One has three screws holding the end cap on and also has the Venom Logo on it...this is the one that burned out. The other has one screw in the center and no logo. I do have the program card as I added reverse but I didn't see an option to change the direction. Also, both motors are wired the same...red/red etc. I just wondered how Venom did it without reversing the wires as I didn't want to get the wrong motor. but now it looks like its just plug and play...so as soon as the motor comes I will be good to go.

Ok but if I can make a suggestion; limit the reverse EPA to a very small amount as needed because of the flex shafts and their specific rotation wind. If you have too much power and load you will ruin the flex shafts.

Did you buy the boat used or new? I'd like to know why the motors did not match and if they are different generations or copies? Your running the inrunner motors that are green right? If you can post or PM me a photo I'd be interested to see and I could possibly help you further.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Yes, I bought it new a few months back and the motors are the new style with the ring mount. I'll send you a pix and more info.
    Thx

Oh wow and the motors are not the same thats interesting. Yes please send me pics. I'd like to document this and see how we can fix this for you. I know you bought a motor as you said but perhaps I can get you a matching set of motors or something so your set.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Ok, here's the deal. The boat was purchased from Amazon and shipped from Horizon Hobbies on May 9, 2012. Here is a picture of the motors. As you can see they are different and the port motor is the one that failed. It always ran 10 to15 degrees hotter. Temperatures were taken with a infared digital thermometer as soon as the boat was pulled from the water. The hottest was recorded at 120f. Most runs on 3s 50c Venom batteries were around 100 degrees and the ESC were usually 5 degrees cooler. Battery temps were usually a little over 100 - 110 degrees f. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

venom_kos.jpg

Yep PM sent and we will take care of it for you.
    VENOM RACING R&D