Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EKOS C-1 wire drive install

Just an FYI- I run a pair of wire drives, with no liner and there is NO water seepage.

I'm building another EKOS bare hull, this exact same method. I would chase the stingers for leaks... something is pressurizing your drive tubes if you're getting water in the hull. My EKOS doesn't leak water either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

I get a lil leakage don't think it's the shafts though. Think it's the fake exhaust where the hull and metal meet. Slight gaps. Silicone is an easy fix to this. So removing the antenna is a no no then. Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    I get a lil leakage don't think it's the shafts though. Think it's the fake exhaust where the hull and metal meet. Slight gaps. Silicone is an easy fix to this. So removing the antenna is a no no then. Hmm
    Yeah, I had to do some sealing around them as well. I also had to seal the antenna mount and the steering boot. The fiberglass was cracked allowing water to seep in around the boot.

Next time I pull it off the shelf, I'll get some more photos and update my EKOS thread with all the little stuff that helped.

BTW- the hull I just sent back to Venom had really messed up exhaust tubes, they were crooked and there were some big gaps around them.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

fightercat57,
    can i get so pics of the stingers were they meet the hull on your ekos.
    i think this is were all my issuses are.

Walk through the stinger maintenance in the manual. Also check to make sure the ~1/2" threaded nuts are snug on the stinger mount and there is no gap between the prop dog and the stinger and you have teflon washers in between. (gap is only for cable stretch when using cables)

Hope this helps.

I should be able to get some photos of the KOS later this week. Its a bit buried at the moment.

I just checked my stinger mount nuts..one was backed out about 7-8 turns lol put some locktite and screwed her back in to place...no issues or problems. Well gona run her today and take some video also. Should be fun and intresting since its a cove like in the marina so its even smoother out there than at the beach that I usually go to. Still saltwater though should be fun and intresting.

ok,
    heres the deal...stinger @ base were it meets the hull
    was the problem...thanx jeff.
    no water..sealed it up with permatex gasket maker and its beautiful,
    going to do the other side just for the heck of it....and im going to take off the
    tube and o-ring on the stuffing tube ....not needed...after i fixed
    it the right way.........ran 15-20 mins only got a few drops, thank f'en god.
    just a little strange it started after i installed the wire drives..just bogus timing.....
    it sent me in the wrong direction for the cure.....thanx again for all the insight.

I guess I'll check my stingers too!

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    Walk through the stinger maintenance in the manual. Also check to make sure the ~1/2" threaded nuts are snug on the stinger mount and there is no gap between the prop dog and the stinger and you have teflon washers in between. (gap is only for cable stretch when using cables)

Hope this helps.

I should be able to get some photos of the KOS later this week. Its a bit buried at the moment.
    fighter ,
    thanx for the help but i do not need the pics now...
    all better.....

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I guess I'll check my stingers too!
    glad you saw this before next run...it will help if not cure all our woes

yeah when I looked under there and saw a screw backed out I was like what hell lol locktite and in she goes no more issues..and yes alot less water in the rear after runs...I'd say 2 teaspoons less of water..which is comfort on the electronics...don't know why they didn't make a radio box for this thing instead of open hull...unless there waterproof which I highly doubt those ESC are...or motor and reciever in a balloon lol!!!!

Exclamation

Wire drive update! I felt some friction in the stuffing tube of one side of the ekos wire drive today. Pulled the shaft out for lube and the antennae straw that I installed from a previous post to take up some of the space in the stock teflon tube was stuck to the drive wire. It looks like it got hot enough to adhere itself to the wire and I had to cut it to get it off. Apparently plastic is not a good substitute for teflon. So the antennae tube was spinning inside the stock teflon tube. There wasnt a whole lot of resistance when I spun the prop by hand. But enough for me to investigate. Sorry for the bad recommendation! Don't try this at home!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If someone would give me the ID of the stuffint tube in fraction and MM I can find some new stuff for wires.

Mine are 4.82 ID, 5.55 OD

Let me see what I can find. I thought it was metric.

I just ran the ekos again today after removing the antennae straws and got 57.7 on the gps. And get this....Not a drop of water! Go figure!!

Heres a vid!

You shouldn't need stuffing tube with wire drive like stated. Way to much space. Best bet would be a grease needle coupled to a gun and inject inside stinger. That should work great. Flexsgafts always get grease skimmed off because of bearings. Not good for lubrication.

The stuffing tubes alonw without liner may be a bit large. At least run the teflon in them. This will keep the wire from touching the edge of the tube that can cut it...we have seen that happen already.

I just ran the ekos again today after removing the antennae straws and got 57.7 on the gps. And get this....Not a drop of water! Go figure!!
    SWEET..........
    you got that baby dialed..
    no water,you say..did you seal up the stingers or no?
    9xl with cf-40s...wonder what the 10xl with the cf-40s would
    top out at?

Now that's more like it! Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    You shouldn't need stuffing tube with wire drive like stated. Way to much space. Best bet would be a grease needle coupled to a gun and inject inside stinger. That should work great. Flexsgafts always get grease skimmed off because of bearings. Not good for lubrication.
    I was getting a bit of water before. Must have come from somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    SWEET..........
    you got that baby dialed..
    no water,you say..did you seal up the stingers or no?
    9xl with cf-40s...wonder what the 10xl with the cf-40s would
    top out at?
    My stingers were tight. I'd guess low 50's on the 10xl.

I may be able to add something here as I run a lot of wire drives.
    I have very few stuff tubes that are the same.

The tubes on my big twin cat are hand bent 3/16 k&s brass with a length of antenna tube that runs from near the coupler to the exit point of the tube at the sponson rear.
    The 'plastic' tube is retained at the inboard end by 3 layers of heat shrink tube, it floats for the rest of the length.

At the rear it moves as much as I change the strut settings. This is still an ongoing process as I have yet to find the sweet spot.

For some of my smaller cats I still use the antenna tube to assist with wire alignment to the motor and to help dampen the wire resonance (sp)
    It has proven to be very effective for me.

This may help
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

only 50 with the 10xl's on 4s or 3s...I might go with the 9xl's and run 4s in them and be happy with it doing 60+ maybe crossing fingers..with 36mm props and thats it..5S is kinda pushing it but don't see why these motors wouldn't handle it with any issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12