Thread: Miss Elam

Default Miss Elam

Here is a clip of dad and I running the hydro's. Dads bud laid down for some reason. Probably better because we would have probably cut each others boats in half eventually.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVXY04LvyE
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

hydros arent suppose to turn left guys, keep em going fast around a couple of right turns

Usually do stick to right hand turns but it did pretty good going left also. And yes i do realize at speed they won't turn left. This was my second run with the Align motor and was just toying around. Most my run was at 3/4 throttle or less. The day before it gps'd at 58mph running on the ragged edge of blowover.

which align motor the 1800kv one?

Its the 600xl 1650kv. Weighs about 300g with around 1600w supposedly. Made a water cooler for the exterior but still got pretty hot. Think I need to turn the fins off for more cooling volume inside the can.....

on what 6s? if you turn off the fins you still wont be able to go any larger on the inside bore than if the fins were on... correct

yeah 6s. Well I was just thinking that the difference in volume might help (fins missing) and would help the flow inside also. I may be over-analyzing the whole thing. I have a tendency to do this.

Here is a cell phone shot of the one I made for dads Miss Bud. Nipples courtesy of OSE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh you put fins inside the can? yeah get rid of em, i put fins on the outside for more cooling area

Im sorry I was kinda unclear. Its the factory fins on the motor not the interior of the can.

oh yeah now it makes sense

Is your Elam a nitro hull gone electric? Thats what I have sitting on the project bench right now...

Finally got my Elam in last night, yours looks fast! Going to check if you have more info or pics of yours if not you should post some!

Yes it was a nitro hull originally. Tight fit for everthing but fun.......

Thanks guys. If not for Jesse and Darin's build I would not be going this fast! I'll post some pics later today when I get home. Again, I basically copied Jesse's 2mm wire design. He has alot of knowledge on these boats and helped me out a bunch!

Here are a few shots of the Lam and one of the Bud. The lam has been beat up several times and is no beauty queen but an experimental boat before I build another one.

So you stuck the motor up in the nose...where do the batteries go in the Elam? I like the cooling idea, does it work good? I've considered doing that to a spare mamba monster esc i have laying around.

Batts go on both sides of the drive wire. In picture 2 you can see the velco tabs that keep em in. Not sure about the cooling just yet, have only run 2x and didn't temp the esc either time.

and you are running 2x2S packs? I've heard that 1650 motor is a monster on 4S

Do you have any pics of the battery placement in the Bud? I'm gathering the goods to convert mine over, and I'm trying to figure out where the LiPos will go. I'm planning to cut out the radio box, put the ESC up in the cockpit, motor looks about like where you put yours, and I'm thinking the batteries can go to the side in the sponsons, as there is a bit of room there.

Thanks!
    Kevin

hes runnin 6s

what motor mount are you guys using to convert these nitros to electric? can you post a link please

Quote Originally Posted by lussorocuztoms View Post
    what motor mount are you guys using to convert these nitros to electric? can you post a link please
    I picked this one up for my Miss Bud conversion (purchased a 540 8xl as well), although I haven't gotten it installed yet: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80200

Patton, for the Bud I went a little more quick and simple route. Placed my motor where 2 3s batts would just barely squeeze past it. So they are in the cockpit held down by a velcro strap.

Quote Originally Posted by lussorocuztoms View Post
    This one is the Align 600xl 1650kv. They also make a 1700kv. BOth have plenty of power.

In your Elam how is the motor up front working for you? And also how did you go about extending the stuffing tube? Did you run a flex shaft or driveshaft?

Up front is good. Most factory hydros have the COG too far back and this helps correct that. Driveline is a 2mm or .078 dia music wire inside a 1/8 OD brass tube. No liner, hate dealing with them.

and you are running the .078 straight out the back? What kind of prop do you stick on it? I'm pretty new to this, but .078 sure seems really thin for a driveshaft for a boat that size.

Yes all the way to the propshaft. OSE sells the propshaft or you can buy the whole assembly already installed. Props are whatever you want to run on it. Any octura with 3/16 ID will work. I am not using the factory strut because it rides too low in the water. You can use a speedmaster or similar one. Yes 2mm does seem small but these wires are pretty dang tuff! The motor I'm using now is 1600w and have not had any wire issues yet.

Ok, I think I'm starting to see what you are meaning. The 2mm shaft makes that bend as the stuffing tube comes out of the bottom of the hull without any issues?

Right, the key is keeping the bend as slight as possible for the least resistance.