Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insane Boats P-Spec Sport Hydro 1st run with Vid !!!

Fast isn't always pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    You had me right to that point... It's FUGLY!!

FAST-but-UGLY!!

But I still think I want one...
    Take a good look : This is the view [minus the roostertail] likely to be seen by most racers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Take a good look : This is the view [minus the roostertail] likely to be seen by most racers

I've seen that already, sitting on Greg's worktable... I even have my own video of it running on the course. My conclusion hasn't changed... Still UGLY...

Function over fashion works well too...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I love fast, well designed and built boats

Douggie

ok, I'm not sure where I read this, but how much is the hull and hardware?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    ok, I'm not sure where I read this, but how much is the hull and hardware?

White Hull/Cowl : $ 235 color top and/or bottom add $ 10

Hardware - includes Turn fin and Bracket, Strut w. 3 teflon bushings, rudder with dual pickup/single outlet : $ 95

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    White Hull/Cowl : $ 235 color top and/or bottom add $ 10

Hardware - includes Turn fin and Bracket, Strut w. 3 teflon bushings, rudder with dual pickup/single outlet : $ 95
    Thank you!
    I'm thinking of this or a Whip20
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    Have you had a chance to compare handling with the 4S versus 2x2S? I'm trying to decide on which battery config. to use...
    Actually, Mark F runs his setup with a single 4S battery with great results. I'll be switching my setup to a single 4S as soon as I return the 2S batteries to Jan, who loaned them to me for testing. The reason I did the initial tests with 2S batteries was to show how easy it is to convert a UL-1 boat to the Insane boat - since most folks use 2S batteries in their UL-1's.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

How many Mah do you use with the Leopard motor? 4s1p or 2p?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    How many Mah do you use with the Leopard motor? 4s1p or 2p?
    Mark runs a single 4S batt, IIRC it is 5000 mah. He can verify.

I'm using thunderpower 3850 1p 30c packs in all the videos. I would recomend using 5000 mah though if you got them.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 06-29-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Actually, Mark F runs his setup with a single 4S battery with great results. I'll be switching my setup to a single 4S as soon as I return the 2S batteries to Jan, who loaned them to me for testing. The reason I did the initial tests with 2S batteries was to show how easy it is to convert a UL-1 boat to the Insane boat - since most folks use 2S batteries in their UL-1's.
    An interesting point, but I think a hydro and a cat run better with 2 batteries in series, positioned close to either sponson as far as balance is concerned, just my 2 cents, but as usual my thoughts can be easily proven wrong

Douggie

When I raced last Sunday, I ran ThunderPower 4S 5000/45C. This is the first time this boat has been raced. I don't brag about very many boats, but this boat ran and handled very good. I was running a 447 backcut, detunge, tips rounded, 6 laps on a course where the straights were only 250'. The motor temp was around 108, and I was putting 2200 back into the batteries. In the next few weeks I'm going to switch the boat over to a 3S setup for P-Sport; this boat should be running 75+ easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schweers View Post
    When I raced last Sunday, I ran ThunderPower 4S 5000/45C. This is the first time this boat has been raced. I don't brag about very many boats, but this boat ran and handled very good. I was running a 447 backcut, detunge, tips rounded, 6 laps on a course where the straights were only 250'. The motor temp was around 108, and I was putting 2200 back into the batteries. In the next few weeks I'm going to switch the boat over to a 3S setup for P-Sport; this boat should be running 75+ easily.
    What motor are you running on 4s?
    sounds awesome only using 2200mah

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    What motor are you running on 4s?
    sounds awesome only using 2200mah

It was a UL-1 Motor... P-Limited setup...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    Exactly!
    What do some other seasoned boaters think in this regard as I was thinking of setting up my Insane as I described, as I am a hydro newbie.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    What do some other seasoned boaters think in this regard as I was thinking of setting up my Insane as I described, as I am a hydro newbie.

Douggie
    Douggie, if Mark's boat handled just fine in the sixties with a single 4S, the P-Spec setup should have no problems with the same. This boat is STABLE !! I should know how mine does tomorrow when I return the 2S packs to Jan & run the spec setup on 4S.

Tony and all, my question is what is better for a hydro not a tunnel hull setup 1 battery in the centre or 2 batteries positioned towards the sponsons?? again a newbie hydro question.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Tony and all, my question is what is better for a hydro not a tunnel hull setup 1 battery in the centre or 2 batteries positioned towards the sponsons?? again a newbie hydro question.

Douggie
    Douggie, Mark ran his INSANE HYDRO with one battery in the center with no issues. I will do the same. Either way, this boat is so stable that it shouldn't matter. Also, think about this : too much weight in the sponsons prevents some outside sponson lift in turns which could be beneficial.

I'm just a rookie but lowering your roll center is always a good thing in my humble opinion.

Cool

You probably know that moving the battery has nothing to do with changing the roll center - that requires geometry changes. But keeping the CG lower may be helpful on some boats, however on others it either doesn't matter or it can be counter-productive. I discovered this on cat hulls - most I worked with didn't care where the cells went, a few handled markedly better when the cells were on top of the tunnel. Lap times told the story. We are not talking about large changes in the vertical CG here.

Knowing what works for a particular hull requires experimentation, not some rule of thumb or "common sense". That requires a little work - which is part of the fun of the hobby.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks Jay, and I will experiment in different water conditions etc.

Douggie

I've struggled with battery placement myself. One thing I can say is that batteries spread out result in sluggish roll response. This can be good, but can also be bad. When I tried spreading the batteries, it was more difficult to start the roll (lift the sponsons) in the first place, but it was also very difficult to recover (slow to respond) from a sponson lift. Think of a long stick with weights on each end that is rotating. It's more difficult to switch rotation direction the further the weights are out. Put them at the center, and there is not much difference with or without the weights. I think this is the reason that tight rope walkers use a very long stick (slow to respond).

Batteries in the center: fast sponson dance (quick roll response)
    Batteries spread out: slow sponson dance (slow roll response)

Which one is better? I don't know. It seems to be a "balance act". ha ha.

My $0.02 on batteries... I prefer to keep the weight as low, and as close to the centerline of the hull as possible. In MY OPINION, the further out from center you put the weight, the harder it is for the controll surfaces to control it. Control surfaces would include the planing portions of the hull itself.

... By the way... Tony... I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! I'm in the queue for hull and hardware! Thanks for the contact info! Need to give Greg someone to race with up here.

.I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! .
    hah! Funny stuff. "so YOU'RE the guy that was bad mouthing my boats appearance!?"
    Catching Air!

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    hah! Funny stuff. "so YOU'RE the guy that was bad mouthing my boats appearance!?"

I know... I was actually just joking around... I guess I forgot to mention that I LIKE UGLY... I use the term affectionately. Started using it when I designed and built my own FE Sport Hydro... It was "ugly" too... and I still have it and love it!

Sorry...

haha, pretty cool. Well, at the speeds that insane hydro was running in the vids, I don't think anyone could tell what it looks like. LOL
    Catching Air!

... By the way... Tony... I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! I'm in the queue for hull and hardware! Thanks for the contact info! Need to give Greg someone to race with up here.
    Darin, if you get yours before I do, I will be royaly pissed off, as that will show favouritism towards the home crowd . It is a very intersting looking hull that I will power with UL-1 components and a neu 1415 1Y and a Turnigy 180 amp marine ESC. prop is going to come from egneg (Chuck)

Douggie

Just got back from the lake; glad you got ahold of Jeff. Seems like many of the FE Royalty are placing orders ; can't wait to see what you guys do with the boat ; should be able to really unleash its potential .

For those of you who have been musing about battery placement theory/practice :
    I just ran the Spec setup with a single 4S 5000 Turnigy 30C. Was so fast and smooth/steady [WFO in the turns] that it made a so-so driver like me look like a pro. 'Nuff said !!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast