Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Insane Boats P-Spec Sport Hydro 1st run with Vid !!!

Default Insane Boats P-Spec Sport Hydro 1st run with Vid !!!

First let me say what an honor it was for me to be selected by Jeff Michaud, owner of Insane Boats to be the rigger/tester/owner of the first P-Spec rigged boat. And man, it's beautifull - absolutely the finest piece of craftmanship I've ever seen in a FE boat - both the hull and hardware. Out on the course she just ripped, and I backed off in the turns, as was my habit with other boats. Jeff said :
    " Just hold her wide open" and I did just that and she took the turns WFO like she was on rails. [I'd forgotten that when I run with Jeff's gassers they just rip up the turns wide open, and this boat was designed by Jeff to do just that !}

Setup : Ul-1 motor [ a workhorse I made from 2 kaboshed UL-1 motors]
    ( a fresh one should add more mph I suspect )
    UL-1 speed control, servo, and Tx/Rx
    .150 flex
    Hyperion 2S 5000's in series[ Loaned by UBHauled-thanks Bro] (incorrectly identified in the vid as 2S2P
    ABC H-5 trimmed to 44.79 mm plus some Sholund magic

GPS : 53.6 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Qw7lQnxdQ

Jeff's got to crunch some numbers and then the pricing will be released. Start parting out your UL-1's now !! Or get your big motor/SC ready, either way. And do visit the Insane Boat website to see where the inspiration for this boat came from

Tony/ Just blown away
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-06-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Very Nice Sir!!!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Looks good

is it hard to tape up the hatch ?
    I always have trouble trying to get the tape to seal at the bottom before it goes up over the canopy in this style of hatch

Very Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by eboat View Post
    Looks good

is it hard to tape up the hatch ?
    I always have trouble trying to get the tape to seal at the bottom before it goes up over the canopy in this style of hatch
    Taping was a piece of cake - the seams mated really well.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Awesome!

Looks great Tony!
    that hull flippin scoots
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Yup....something looks wrong. Better send it to me to figure it out.

I want one!

Tony... loading vid right now, sorry I could not make it, I cant remember if I told you but it wsa my oldest b-day party (5), I think if I had left the wife and daughters today I'd be in trouble, just a wild guess, lol
    will comment in a few...

ok...
    that was very nice T... do you have the boat with you? I am bringing my DH out to race you, since now it seems that there is some competition... LOL,
    oh yeah baby, I went there!

LOL
    let's meet.
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 06-07-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Looks like I'm going to wait up!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Its funny Tony, It looks like you used that prop I recommended to you. You pulled the exact same speed as my Woodstuff 28" does with the UL-1 setup and prop! Pretty consistent! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

that's nice!
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

Tony, Brad recommended another run day on my lake. He suggested Sat June 19th. Does this day work for everybody? We may have a couple of these hydros to run and I can set up some buoys on the lake for an oval course. Good to race it against Hull #1 with the Leopard 2200KV that MarkF has. Guess I can now finally post this picture of him and the Insane Hydro.
    Last edited by questtek; 06-07-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Tony,

Looking good my friend, I would like to see this hull in person. Did you get a chance to run it in any race water yet? I could bring my BBY UL-1 to Joe's house/lake and run it with you, but I don't think you want to start impact testing that boat yet!

It looks like it could handle some race chop pretty well. Did you run it with just the single 4S pack in the bow? If so was there a big handling difference?
    Hope to see you soon.....

Brad
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Its funny Tony, It looks like you used that prop I recommended to you. You pulled the exact same speed as my Woodstuff 28" does with the UL-1 setup and prop! Pretty consistent! Mike
    Yup, that's the exact prop that you suggested to me On my VS-1 it really ripped- I didn't even try to corner at full tilt Then tried it on the LSO rigged T29 with a BJ motor & after a slight cav, it fully aired out ! Good Stuff, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Tony,

Looking good my friend, I would like to see this hull in person. Did you get a chance to run it in any race water yet? I could bring my BBY UL-1 to Joe's house/lake and run it with you, but I don't think you want to start impact testing that boat yet!

It looks like it could handle some race chop pretty well. Did you run it with just the single 4S pack in the bow? If so was there a big handling difference?
    Hope to see you soon.....

Brad
    Haven't run in racewater yet but looking forward to it This hull is so solid [& the turn fin is so sharp] that we wouldn't want to re-enact our last "meeting" on the course - (you might just end up with two "half-boats "again )
    Haven't tried the 4S single battery config yet but I need to return the 2S packs to Jan & I'll try it then.

Quote Originally Posted by questtek View Post
    Tony, Brad recommended another run day on my lake. He suggested Sat June 19th. Does this day work for everybody? We may have a couple of these hydros to run and I can set up some buoys on the lake for an oval course. Good to race it against Hull #1 with the Leopard 2200KV that MarkF has. Guess I can now finally post this picture of him and the Insane Hydro.
    Yeah Buddy ! Sounds good. Have just made a new friend -John, a former nitro racer, who'se in for FE. It looks like, in good part due to your gracious hospitality, that SoCal is really ( and finally) starting to wake up and dance to the music ! ( I've been trying for years to get things going in L.A. but it looks like your designer pizzas did the trick)
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Geeez!!! That thing looks GREAT and I can't believe the speeds. I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....or is that thing considered a rigger?

The hardware looks real clean and simple too. Who makes it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Geeez!!! That thing looks GREAT and I can't believe the speeds. I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....or is that thing considered a rigger?

The hardware looks real clean and simple too. Who makes it? Thanks!
    With a fresh UL-1 motor I think a few more mph is possible. I was using an old motor made up from two kaboodled motors for the testing. Temps were "on the mark" during testing so I'll likely put in a new motor soon. With the stock UL-1 components it went quite well, and for Spec racing this is the way to go - one of the design considerations during the planning stage.

NO it's not a rigger - let's don't go there anymore. Fully NAMBA compliant for P-Sport Hydro. End of story !

The hardware was designed by Insane Boats with a fresh slate specifically for this hull. Ultra-solid, dual pickup/single outlet rudder, ambidexterous servo arm, and three lead-teflon bushings in the strut - easily replaceable.

Saweet, maybe I'll wait on an open mono and slate this for spec racing.

Nice prop info too guys, thanks.

Any idea of empty hull weight?

.... and thats how a proper video is done to capture speed !
    Nortavlag Bulc

Cool

I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....
    Actually it isn't uncommon to reach 50-52 mph with the UL-1 motor/ESC combo in a good sport hydro, our club does it any time we have reasonably flat race water. But not in a hull this large, that is most impressive. With larger boats we can now run in rougher water and remain upright. I've raced Whiplash LSH hydros with my own smaller LSH and the bigger boat virtually always won in 'rough' water. The Insane boat does look impressive.

I don't care what it weighs, I usually have to add lead to my LSH/LSO boats to keep them on the water anyway. Jeff knows how to build a boat guys.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Question is, do i build a 2nd Whip 20 for LSH or get one of these?

Now that I have built one, I can build another quickly.

But, if this hull is priced as reasonable as some other hulls, I'm in.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Jay is right on. My recent experience at WW VI in AZ last Feb. had the LSH class filled with rather quick 26" Dark Horse shovels. Then there was Dan Proulx with a super-fine CF Bandit Larsony at @ 30" and Doug Peterson's impeccably built Whiplash. The Dark Horses got out front in the first laps but one by one they had to slow & bobble through the racewater-ruffled turns. Many couldn't stay on their bottoms. Then the crafty duo of Proulx and Peterson just devoured what was left, cornering in racewater at WFO. We're hoping the Insane hydro will live up to this legacy & it looks good so far .

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Actually it isn't uncommon to reach 50-52 mph with the UL-1 motor/ESC combo in a good sport hydro, our club does it any time we have reasonably flat race water. But not in a hull this large, that is most impressive. With larger boats we can now run in rougher water and remain upright. I've raced Whiplash LSH hydros with my own smaller LSH and the bigger boat virtually always won in 'rough' water. The Insane boat does look impressive.

I don't care what it weighs, I usually have to add lead to my LSH/LSO boats to keep them on the water anyway. Jeff knows how to build a boat guys.....

I hear that.

We race in some very rough water at Clariville pond in Canada. I even gave up on the UL-1 in our "offshore" tyoe water.

Now my Whiplash 20 & BJ motor just eat up the waves.

This Insane boat is an excellent candidate for spec class....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Looked like 15 second laps thats not bad for a Spec Powered Sport Boat. Be nice to see video of it in a heat race and get some lap times for it.

Is this going to be up on their site soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Is this going to be up on their site soon?
    All will be revealed soon. Their might also be a surprise in store [pun intended]

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bourlet View Post
    Looked like 15 second laps thats not bad for a Spec Powered Sport Boat. Be nice to see video of it in a heat race and get some lap times for it.
    There's a NAMBA 2-Lap coming up this summer at Legg Lake. Even though there is no NAMBA Spec class as of yet that I know of, [correct me if I'm wrong] I've been talking to Mark about running it in spec trim to see what it'll do. (I'll be embarrased if it beats my current record in P Sport Hydro ) I also plan to rig it for P Sport with a motor & SC swap to see how it does & I'm relatively confident of a new record in that class

SOLD

Thanks Tony and all for the update

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    SOLD

Thanks Tony and all for the update

Douggie
    My pleasure !

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast