Thread: 2.4ghtz Computer Radio

Default 2.4ghtz Computer Radio

I know a few of you guys use the Tactics/Towers 2 channel surface systems with no hassles and I like the fact that recievers are cheap but what do you recommend for a 2.4ghtz system with 10 model memory? Are some systems better than others in waves? ie. spektrum marine?

i use low budget parts and i have the new airtronics mx-sport fhss-2 it is $100 and a great 2,4 radio has every thing you need to dial in and 10 model memory its also 3 channel

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...dio-tx-rx.html

Futaba 3PMX is a great proven radio system.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXRL8&P=ML

Thanks guys, both look great and I guess the price for extra receivers is pretty standard with the bigger brands.(you almost get the radio for free with the airtronics!!).

Is the fact that I will be using this model in swell so I will frequently not have direct line of sight with the model something I should consider in the type of radio gear I purchase?

I have a 3pm, 3pk, dx2.0 and a dx3.0... I just bought a tactic 2.4ghz and 7 recievers.... I like the fact the trims are all analog... makes setting up with esc's easier and adjusting for other models quicker... with boats for me anyway I think the tactic is all the radio I need..... the only thing that would be nice would be steering EPA in case one way of travel needs to be "tuned" down not to interfere with the prop or other hardware.... but for what its worth I like the tactic alot and I've used alot of higher end radios... but will reserve them for my cars/trucks...etc..

And as far as range goes the Tactic is fantastic and the realism of no external antenna is GREAT:) and convenient with less points of water entry possible... again great for boats.... I am even running the tactic in my 39" df with a lehner and hv240..... basically using a $60 radio on a $1300 Boat... I feel that comfortable with it..... it has been great so far....even though I just started using it a couple weeks ago I have no concerns that it will be replaced in the near future...

The Airtronics is the best deal on the market right now and they are ROCK SOLID! Can't beat it!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    The Airtronics is the best deal on the market right now and they are ROCK SOLID! Can't beat it!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I know a few of you guys use the Tactics/Towers 2 channel surface systems with no hassles and I like the fact that recievers are cheap but what do you recommend for a 2.4ghtz system with 10 model memory? Are some systems better than others in waves? ie. spektrum marine?
    Check out this thread
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=13926

I think upgrading to a better radio with multi model memory is the way to go name each model and set and forget it

I have not been able to compare radios so I have no actual data on this, but I do like the design of the MR3000 receiver which is water resistant and also has 2 antenna inputs in case one loses the signal. Theoretically, 2.4ghz and water don't like each other, so the more signal diversity the better. I also think it is a good idea to run at least one of the antennas up out of the hull as high up as possible to help with water-signal problems.

I ended up using the spectrum dx3S because I wanted model memory (I can run my primary boat and rescue boat on 2 different "channels"), but I also got the dx3E for my son which is a pretty good price.

-Chief

The only 2.4 radio I recall having a problem with water is the Spektrum. A friend of mine had a horrible time with them. They had to re-engineer and come out with a new expensive receiver to make them reliable.

The Futaba and Airtronics and even the little cheapie Tactic have no problems in boats that I am aware of. I have used all three.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I run everything I own on Spektrum now. Water proof recievers are kind of a big deal to me. Is anyone else doing that yet? I would have thought that would catch on.

Not with the cost of their receivers.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Way cheaper than fixing my boat when it goes rouge into shore. The JR recievers I used were more than the Spektrums are. Then get onit wet.....ugh. Been there done that.

I've not heard many complaints with the Fasst. If they water proofed their rx's that would be killer. That whole system is pricey though isn't it?

There's always balloons. That's pretty reliable too.

if your worried about water buy some 2 part non conductive epoxy, take your receiver apart and coat the circuit board, i did this with my other airtronics radio receiver (fm) and i have no worries

True. I've used that DP270 on speed controllers. Works great but then your warranty is shot. Of course I haven't messed with Spektrums warranty yet either so it may be a none issue.

There are sprays you can use that won't void your warranty I use Super Lube
    http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube...osol-ez-68.htm
    works great.

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    I have not been able to compare radios so I have no actual data on this, but I do like the design of the MR3000 receiver which is water resistant and also has 2 antenna inputs in case one loses the signal. Theoretically, 2.4ghz and water don't like each other, so the more signal diversity the better. I also think it is a good idea to run at least one of the antennas up out of the hull as high up as possible to help with water-signal problems.

I ended up using the spectrum dx3S because I wanted model memory (I can run my primary boat and rescue boat on 2 different "channels"), but I also got the dx3E for my son which is a pretty good price.

-Chief
    I just got back from a run tonight, and my boat took a violent tumble, and capsized. Took about 15 seconds for the flood chamber to right the boat, I hit the gas and
    Nothin'! Transmitter lost the link and took another 15sec or so to to re-establish the link. I can't tell if it was due to the receiver or the esc... After the link re-established, the boat ran fine.

Chief

I was always a Futaba fan. Then I bought a Spektrum 2.4 and haven't turned back. Now that the dx3s radios are out, all my stuff is now on Spektrum. I haven't had a radio problem since I switched over. The are just so dam easy to program. The user interface and jog style dial with switch makes moving around the options as simple as can be.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    The user interface and jog style dial with switch makes moving around the options as simple as can be.
    Me too Steve. I had a heck of time navigating the Hitec menu on the CRX. The JR menu was better. I haven't even read the Spektrum manual. An idiot could work that thing. I'm proof.

I never worked the Futaba. All my Futaba were analog. As long as they've been at it, I'll bet their menu is pretty manageable too.

I haven't seen the Airtronics menu. My last one was from about 1984. Not for any particular reason though.

I wonder if all of the 2.4s take a bit to re-sink after the antenna gets submerged. I stuffed a couple with my Spektrums that way and had to wait a few for the sink. Still worked just had to wait for them to talk to each other.

The problems I saw with the Spektrums is that they would lose the link and take too long to recover. By then the boat was across the lake. Perhaps they have improved. I don't know. I waited for Futaba to come out with their FASST system (for my airplanes) before I went to 2.4ghz. Glad I did. The airplane guys were having trouble with the Spektrums too. I then bought a couple of the Airtronics 2.4's for my boats and they rock!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

We saw that with the Spektrums before they came out with these marine rx's. The radio that looked like the JR. I think it was module. Now if it loses signal it goes into failsafe and stops. The only time that has happened to me is when the boats went sub surface. They sat until the link was established again.

I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about the Fasst systems.

There's so much great stuff out there it's getting harder to choose. They're all pretty good once you jump up to 2.4g. You just have to decide what features you want. Which ones you need. How easy is it navigate. That kind of stuff. All the computer radios have similar options as far as I've seen. Multi-model, rates, end point adjustments, timers, etc. Little different menu on each of them.

Hey, anybody ever mess with throttle punch on a boat? I saw that in my menu and couldn't think of a use for it.

Throttle punch is use on EP RC cars works like traction control If you increase the punch it accelerates harder less it's softer good to use on slippery tracks I can't think of ant use in an EP boat maybe a nitro boat with a hot motor.

The problems I saw with the Spektrums is that they would lose the link and take too long to recover. By then the boat was across the lake. Perhaps they have improved. I don't know.
    You must have been seeing one of the car receivers (SR3xxx), not the Marine type (MR3000). The Marine protocol is almost exactly the same as the aircraft and rock solid. It has the same sub-second Quick Connect feature as the aircraft radios.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

I'm talking about back before they came out with the Marine receiver which is fairly recent. I saw enough boats crashed to know I don't want one even if they have fixed it.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I'm talking about back before they came out with the Marine receiver which is fairly recent. I saw enough boats crashed to know I don't want one even if they have fixed it.
    I have old ones, I have new ones. No problems on this side of things. Best radio system I've used in 26 years of playing with rc.

And just to clarify, I'm not sponsored, I don't get paid to use them and I don't get them for free.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    You must have been seeing one of the car receivers (SR3xxx), not the Marine type (MR3000). The Marine protocol is almost exactly the same as the aircraft and rock solid. It has the same sub-second Quick Connect feature as the aircraft radios.

Andy
    Just a note, I have a new DX3S, with an MR3000. The two times my sycnron wiped out in a big way (with many tumbles, and underwater for second), I lost the connection and it took 5-10seconds to reconnect. But I still don't know if that is due to the radio link or the ESC doing something strange... but so far I've never had any problems as long as my boat stays above water.

Chief

You are a lucky guy and I'm very happy for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I have old ones, I have new ones. No problems on this side of things. Best radio system I've used in 26 years of playing with rc.

And just to clarify, I'm not sponsored, I don't get paid to use them and I don't get them for free.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You are a lucky guy and I'm very happy for you!
    Funny, Funny. I dont think its luck. My kids have them also.
    We run together constantly. No problems. Maybe I should start playing the lottery.
    Steven Vaccaro