Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rudder and Water Pick-ups for EKOS...

Default New Rudder and Water Pick-ups for EKOS...

I am running my new EKOS with 3S 4800 Ma 25 C's, and Venom machined 36mm props. She runs great and my nitro buddies raising their eyebrows at the pond yesterday!
    One problem I have with the EKOS is the water pick-up system it uses, quite flimsy as it is, intake tubes come loose, slippage etc. Looking for a better solution/kit would be awesome. Has anyone an idea for that?
    In the meantime I want to use the plugged water pick-up in the rudder as an extra source of cooling, in preparation for the 4S Lipos I have on order ( I expect the standard 2850 motors to burn out soon anyway). Does anyone have experience with modifying existing water intake system on the EKOS?
    Thanks guys!

I installed these! Get em here at ose. A tight fit though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done! But how did you cut the openings in hull so precisely? Not sure if I am at that level yet...and do you keep the stardard rudder mechanism then and just take off the flimsy intake tubes? Thanks for your tips.

Default Rudder fitting.

OSE sells the 4mm fitting for a couple bucks and it works good,I cool my ESCs with the rudder and the motors with the stock ones.Each one has its own exit port on the hull so you know the water is flowing.I got those fittings there also.Forescott has done it the best way,but like you I was worried about wrecking the hull so I got 3 different size brass tubes and made the part that goes into the water 1 size smaller and longer than stock.I used the larger than stock tube to make collars to hold the system in place.Once mocked up I soldered the tubes together with regular solder and now the tubes are tight.If you need to remove you will have to use a solder gun or micro torch.I used larger water line through the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jericho View Post
    Well done! But how did you cut the openings in hull so precisely? Not sure if I am at that level yet...and do you keep the stardard rudder mechanism then and just take off the flimsy intake tubes? Thanks for your tips.
    I set the pick-ups inside the hull where I wanted them to go. Marked one of the corners with a sharpie. Then drilled a tiny hole through the hull from the inside. Then I cut a thick piece of paper the exact size of the square hole to be removed, flipped the boat over and lined it up with the hole I drilled(making sure the template was squared up with the sponsons) and traced the outside of the template with a sharp pencil. The rest was easy. Just took a dremmel tool with the right bit to grind out the fiberglass up to the template marks. Then just drop the pick-up in from the inside and spread epoxy around the top and sides. Its kinda tedious, but worth the effort.

I removed the stock brass water pick-up tubes and filled the water line holes with epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Igoreski View Post
    OSE sells the 4mm fitting for a couple bucks and it works good,I cool my ESCs with the rudder and the motors with the stock ones.Each one has its own exit port on the hull so you know the water is flowing.I got those fittings there also.Forescott has done it the best way,but like you I was worried about wrecking the hull so I got 3 different size brass tubes and made the part that goes into the water 1 size smaller and longer than stock.I used the larger than stock tube to make collars to hold the system in place.Once mocked up I soldered the tubes together with regular solder and now the tubes are tight.If you need to remove you will have to use a solder gun or micro torch.I used larger water line through the whole system.
    Igoreski, how do you like those 442's?? Mine are being worked on by eggneg as we speak. Are yours de-toungued?

Forescott, My 32" HOTR, (pretty much identical hull) went 3mph faster from stock 442 to my Egneg worked, detongued and cupped 442s Im .2 off 70mph. Hope yours are as succesful. Chuck does great work.

Also, I used the same pickups (aluminum thru hull from OSE), but used a single on each side rather than the dual. Just as said, tedious, but well worth the effort.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I also want to use the rudder intake(that is not being used stock) for extra cooling in my plans..does OSE sell that one little fitting (don't know what its called) that screws into the top of rudder where hose is normally attached?

Hey Igoeski, I like your cooling solution and just saw the pic of your set-up. Cool, I also want to use the rudder intake... Can you please send me the part nr. or link at OSE for that fitting on top of the rudder blade where the hose attaches? I wish to stick with the stock tubing size for now though...

PS: Gettting a custom paint job in the coming weeks for my EKOS because I already crashed on a rock racing with my brother, should be cool. I will put up pics when the work is done.

Here is the link for water fittings....http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=etti-a030

I personally am not a big fan of turn fin style water pick-ups. They tend to lose pressure when you turn the opposite way of the inlet hole. I would use the turn fin pick-up seperate for the motor mount cooling, that way if pressure is lost you wont lose all your cooling to the motors.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Forescott, My 32" HOTR, (pretty much identical hull) went 3mph faster from stock 442 to my Egneg worked, detongued and cupped 442s Im .2 off 70mph. Hope yours are as succesful. Chuck does great work.

Also, I used the same pickups (aluminum thru hull from OSE), but used a single on each side rather than the dual. Just as said, tedious, but well worth the effort.
    Im gettin 55mph out of the feigao 9xl's(2612kv) on 4s, and a pair of cf-40's. But the prop hubs are wider than the drive dogs so I dont really like the fit. Wow, 55 looks insanely fast to me, 70mph must be soo close to blowover on that hull!

Might try to taper that hubs down...easy to do with a file.

Yeah, I have a couple of props from chuck already. He does such a nice job. Its not even worth it to me to do my own. I dont really enjoy prop work!

Thanks for the link Forescott, much appreciated! I am waiting for Venom to confirm the exact size of the stock cooling hoses on the EKOS before I order all parts for my cooling project. I am thinkinf of doing after after the I get the new paint job done this month.

Those props look good too. I am running now with the red Venom 3 blade machined props 36 mm. Who is Chuck? Maybe I could order those props machined and balanced by him one day...I have no cavitation problems but looks like those 2 bladed props might be even better?

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Im gettin 55mph out of the feigao 9xl's(2612kv) on 4s, and a pair of cf-40's. But the prop hubs are wider than the drive dogs so I dont really like the fit. Wow, 55 looks insanely fast to me, 70mph must be soo close to blowover on that hull!
    10XLs on 6S. And it ran great until I scuffed the hull. Then it completely lost its ride attitude and wants to ride way light and blow over. I discoverd this after I put it in the water, hit the throttles, got up to maybe 45 or 50 and she went over. Cracked the hull, fixed it and it took stinger adjustment to bring her back down.... and lost 2 mph... I havent been back out to test since.

Those props look good too. I am running now with the red Venom 3 blade machined props 36 mm. Who is Chuck? Maybe I could order those props machined and balanced by him one day...I have no cavitation problems but looks like those 2 bladed props might be even better?
    Chuck is 'Egneg" on the forums... his last name backwards.

I have the venom 3-blades too. In both 32 and 36mm. They are excellent props. I just like the performance of a 2-blade prop better.

hmmmmm.... didnt realize eggneg was chucks last name backwards. Good eyes!

Thanks for the link Forescott, much appreciated! I am waiting for Venom to confirm the exact size of the stock cooling hoses on the EKOS before I order all parts for my cooling project. I am thinkinf of doing after after the I get the new paint job done this month.
    Stock coolong lines are 7/32 outside dia. I switched to 1/4 outside dia. They still fit over the stock fittings and i put a small ziptie over the connections for a little extra insurance.

Thanks for that info Forescott. Having big problems with my EKOS now and Venom not honouring the 90 warranty on their website, saying it is now 30 days and that they have not updated their website yet...see my other thread.

Thanks for that info Forescott. Having big problems with my EKOS now and Venom not honouring the 90 warranty on their website, saying it is now 30 days and that they have not updated their website yet...see my other thread.
    Ive read em all and been there already. Much happier now that Ive given up the stock electronics. I use my venom motors for paperweights!

Hi Igoresky...I am trying to find the best height for the stock water pick-up tubes. I am instaling a new set now and am worried about them being too high and not getting enough water into them, or too low and creating too much drag which will affect speed. How low do you have yours? In your picture is is hard to see and I would really appreciate knowing from your experience with your EKOS. Thanks again for any help, tips, and pics.

I lowered mine far enough down to where I had about 3/8 inch sticking above the top of the rudder bracket. I think the tubes are too high from the factory. Set your boat on a flat surface. let the tubes rest on the flat surface, then mark the tubes where they touch the rudder bracket. Then loower them another 1/4 inch.

Default water pickup.

I put them level with the bottom of the drives so they have water all the time,now they are the next size smaller than stock for less drag.Now I have a new problem,the boat is way too fast for anything but glass.I hit a small wake from a jet ski and did a 52mph submarine,lost the boat for 10 seconds then it bobed up.The hull is busted in two spots on the sponsons. 12" is the worst one.The Octura X442s are super fast.The motors draw 80amps for a fraction of a second and go down to the low 50s but I cant hold it wide open for more than a few seconds with any chop.I went through most of a battery set before I crashed bad and my highest temp was 118deg F and the average was 112.My peak amps were 112 when I went under water wide open.It is fun to watch your run on the data logger,I can see all my blow overs on the screen.I am pulling close to 28000rpm at my peak speeds.I was at 0 deg prop angle and I will try -5deg next time so it will not blow over so easy.What angle are you guys running.

Thanks. These are pics of my pick ups and new replacement ...the new rudder kit arrived and the pick-ups are even shorter than what was on the boat! Venom are going to send a replacement kit for the replacement when they have them in stock again...with the new pick-up tubes, there is no chance they would even be long enough to rest on the a flat surface, never mind another 1/4 inch. So basically these tubes should be a bit below the lowest level of the sponsons, right?

I am running my drives at - 2 but am still at lower speeds with stock motors and the red Venom 36 mm machined props.

A slim rudder and water inlet under the hull

http://www.mbp-rc.de/Mono-2-Ruder-BB

Yes you want them low,at prop shaft level.Just go to the hobby store and bring your brass tube with and buy a smaller one and put it inside your stock one with solder or epoxy and set them level to whatever height you want to try.I have 4 exit fittings out my hull and the water squirts out a long way out all 4.Bad news I wrecked my hull,looks like I almost ripped off one of the sponsons in my hunt for red october!!! Now I have to get another hull,I wonder if the HOTR cat hulls are made better or if they are just a unpainted version of the EKOS hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast