Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Leopard Hobby 4-Pole CC/Neu Clones

Quote Originally Posted by questtek View Post
    Very well stated and an opinion shared by many of the FE guys here. One comment was that the Leopard appeared to be "about 90% or so of a Neu and about 1/3rd the cost". Guys have had great success with it in the new Insane Hydro and you can look into that particular post started by Properchopper (Tony) to get more details. Here are pics of a dyno test set up I just finished with a 4074Leopard mounted in the test fixture. I will post more info on it in the forums under a separate thread.
    Looking forward to it
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Looking forward to it
    Hi all,
    some more detailed pics of leopard 4074 1050KV here:

And next via links only:
    http://img2.rajce.idnes.cz/d5/3/3880...s/IMG_0101.jpg

http://img2.rajce.idnes.cz/d5/3/3880...s/IMG_0103.jpg

http://img2.rajce.idnes.cz/d5/3/3880...s/IMG_0104.jpg

http://img2.rajce.idnes.cz/d5/3/3880...s/IMG_0094.jpg

Wicked pictures and great thread....
    I had this motor, 2000KV in my hands and trust me it felt good. Well made, heavy jut like 1521, good looking.
    Never had a chance to run it but I feel this motor will go fare....
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=leo-4074
    Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

The above pictures shows carbon woven rotor. Stator is very similar to NEU-Castle. I have 4 Leopard motors, have tested Only 3 of them yet. Motor runs cool and quite ane perform very well in compparision to my old Feigao 580L

Just to clear this up, I have only seen them recently and thought Leopard were Castle clones too, but one of my friends said that leopard have been going for ages and he got a number of 4 pole test samples from them several years ago with a view to importing them, this was well before castle brought out their motors, they may both be copies of NeuMotors but if there is any cloning between CC and Leopard it is the other way round.

they may both be copies of NeuMotors but if there is any cloning between CC and Leopard it is the other way round.
    I have to argue the fact that Castle has NOT copied Leopard. Castle has openly stated and prints on their boxes. "Designed by Steve Neu and Castle Creations". Making statements like that is not productive.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    How tight is this motor compared to a Neu, I mean the way the shaft turns?

What does it "feel" like?
    They definately do not feel the same. The CC/Neu 1515 1Y cogs on parr with the original Neu 1515 design. The Leopard 4074 has a noticably different feel. Much less force is required to turn it by hand. But in defense of the 4074 it runs very well on 4S. I tried a 1515 and a 4074 in the same UL1 hull, using the same prop/esc/batts and there was no noticable speed difference. The Neu consumed less batts so I could run longer. Thats the only measureable I could quantify.

Now on a side note I have to replace the bearings on my 4074. When I was changing out motors I knocked the Leopard off the bench onto the floor!

Luckily there was no case damage. It landed on its side where the Neu cooling jacket had been installed!

John
    Change is the one Constant

So, how far did we get from the CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) statement? Anyone not owning a leopard yet? Anyone not willing to own one? Just my 2c.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by norbique View Post
    So, how far did we get from the CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) statement? Anyone not owning a leopard yet? Anyone not willing to own one? Just my 2c.
    Glad you brought this thread back to life. I saw it just a few days ago doing a search and I wanted to revive it but couldnt think of a reason to.

As far as the CCC statement, personally I think the jury is still out. Its not been all that long since some of us have begun using Leopards or the "other" variation copies. I dont like what I see in some motor versions when it comes to bearings. We have read about a recent bearing failure in the big 5692 series. The motor was hardly used. A fluke? Not enough people running the motor right now in the winter to offer a fair opinion.

With so many folks running one of the various 4074 series I would have thought a consensus would be obvious? Its not. Not that its been disfavorable in any manner but its just been silent. The 4082 series seems to have demonstrated to offer some good power options but not any better then a cheaper $70 CC/Neu 1717 or someone selling a $120 1518 or 1520,..right?

I will still say from personal ownership and experience that when you open up a Neu motor, open up a CC/Neu, open up a Leopard motor, then go to another spin off the quality gets lower at each step. So when you look at a $59 Tacon 4074/2150kv compared to a $110 Castle/Neu 1515 its not all that hard to see why the heck would you buy the Tacon for $59 if there are obvious differences? The quality difference is just plain obvious when you crack open the cans. Performance can only be obtained by buying one and running it. Now the Leopards seem to be close. But they are almost the same price as a CC/Neu. Your not saving all that much money. If your wondering where can you get NIB CC/Neu for $110 look around folks. Its not all that hard.

So again. Why buy a $95 Leopard when you can get a $110 CC/Neu? I have learned my lesson. Not that a Leopard is junk but for $15 difference I will stick to the better made, better quality, better design motor. Besides,... resale will always be better for the motor with a better reputation and user base. Just my 2 cents.

John

Good point. I have to agree with you there are differences in workmanship between those similar designed motors. But Leopard has at least one advantage over CC, a huge variation to choose from, D and Y windings, 1.2.3...turns, diff. Lengths...... While CC's 15xx series has only 4, all are 1Y winding, same design, KV varied just by changing the length.

Neu OTOH, also offers all possible variations, but it's lead time is horrible. When I ask for a 2220 they can't even provide an availability schedule. Surely the original Neu has amazing performance but I still think the can make details better. I thank myself very much for I did an inspection before using my brand new 2230, it's strong rigid leads had their shrink wrap cut open by the rear endcap. I can see the endcap is actually touching the copper wire.

Any company that can survive in this market has their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
    But Leopard has at least one advantage over CC, a huge variation to choose from, D and Y windings, 1.2.3...turns, diff. Lengths......

Yes. The very reason why the Leopard and other motors will compete and survive. Choices with good pricing. No matter what, honest competition will give the user the option he seeks.

I'm happy to see options. Gives the consumer choices. Will we see a SAW record at Legg lake this year powered by a Leopard? I dont know. We will see a Neu and or Lehner set a record? Thats almost garanteed. At Valadosta could the next record in a just a few months be set with a Chinese motor? Maybe. But its almost with certainty a quality motor is going to do it.

So you have to ask yourself. If they are so equal why arent they setting NAMBA or IMPBA records after being on the market now for awhile? Do we need more time to prove their capability? I say yes. But the facts will simply speak for themselves over time and performance.

John

The CC motors have only recently dropped in price to what was mentioned. Six months ago the prices were quite higher.

That said, I was looking at them and thinking, maybe another green motor...

I've got a 1717 and a 2028 coming from Oz...

The 1717 looks really nice compared to the leopards and further clones.

I still have a few leopards & tacons too.... Less Neu motors.

I'm looking forward to trying the 4082-2200kv in my p-sport when the ice is gone, heck I'm just looking forward to the ice melting!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
    Neu OTOH, also offers all possible variations, but it's lead time is horrible. When I ask for a 2220 they can't even provide an availability schedule. Surely the original Neu has amazing performance but I still think the can make details better. I thank myself very much for I did an inspection before using my brand new 2230, it's strong rigid leads had their shrink wrap cut open by the rear endcap. I can see the endcap is actually touching the copper wire.

Any company that can survive in this market has their reason.
    Their extended lead time probably has a lot to do with them surviving in this market. It costs a lot of money to have a bunch of overstock, whereas if you only build what has been ordered you are guaranteed a return on the investment in parts. I remember when you could order a Neu and have it in a week or so but obviously something had to change.
    My feeling is the best things are worth waiting for anyway.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    So you have to ask yourself. If they are so equal why arent they setting NAMBA or IMPBA records after being on the market now for awhile? Do we need more time to prove their capability? I say yes. But the facts will simply speak for themselves over time and performance.

John
    You are right. Would anyone think $90 motors "are so equal" to $200 ones? When trying to set a record, would anyone possibly try to save a hundred bucks or 2 using an ecnomical motor? Those guys in Shenzhen are pretty clear about their location in market segments, I guess. Guys at lake bank are also aware of what they paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
    Their extended lead time probably has a lot to do with them surviving in this market. It costs a lot of money to have a bunch of overstock, whereas if you only build what has been ordered you are guaranteed a return on the investment in parts. I remember when you could order a Neu and have it in a week or so but obviously something had to change.
    My feeling is the best things are worth waiting for anyway.

Chris
    Based on what I was told they were actually waiting for their magnets made and shipped, from China... Yes, that's the country where the Leopards are from.

Fortunately we still have Steven that keep some Neu stock, and better price than Neu and CC's websites. I got my 2230 here in OSE, that's really an amazing motor. and with a deeper look into it i though the wait worthy best is still possible to go one step closer to perfection.

Unhappy

Here in australia i can get a replacement 3674 leopard for $75 bucks... the usa neu equiv. would set me back around $300

I wish that i could afford them as i have no doubt about the quality and the performance speaks for themselves, but my 3 leopards are going strong, dont get hot and provide what i need. Hopeing to give one a good run in a fe30 shortly when it arrives

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567