Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leopard Hobby 4-Pole CC/Neu Clones

Just remember, the Chinese are great at making things look EXACTLY like another product. It's what's inside that counts. The Leopard motors may be good, maybe not but just because they look like a Castle/Neu means absolutely nothing.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    One thing, I've been in contact with a distributor on this motor.
    They are saying its a 2 pole motor.
    But, It could be possible that they just don't know what they have.
    About 4 months ago I visited the factory in China and pickled up about 10 of these motors, both 2000KV and 2200KV. They are 4-pole motors and, in my opinion, very well made and have performed exceptional for me in a wide range of FE boats including a Mean Machine and Pursuit mono. I have given a couple motors to several active forum members and they have used them with great success. We have done some of the testing at the lake in front of my house. (They previously have had lots of experience with the Neu 1515 which I have not had.).

Everyone has their opinion on China products. It is a personal thing based on individual experiences both failures and successes. Some products have been disappointments to me but this motor certainly has not. Again, my opinion only based on only 4 months of evaluating these motors.

One of my latest projects included using two of the 2200KV versions in oil filled configuration to run outside the hull of an Advenger Pro Cat. Pics are included of this experimental set up. I will post more details as this project evolves.

Here are some specs on the motor........

Watts 2,664 continuous? (I continue to evaluate this with full Eagle Tree instrumentation on every run)
    Current rating 120 A continuous. (I have measured 160 amps via my Eagle Tree on speed runs)
    Max V 22.2 vdc
    Resistance 0.0062
    Max RPM 50,000 with standard NGK Japanese bearings
    Shaft dia 5 mm.
    Weight 374 grams
    Length 73.8 mm
    RPM/volt 2200, 4-pole

I have placed a fairly large order for the Leopard 2200KV version of this motor so if anyone would like additional information they can send me a PM. I am not or have absolutely NO plans to compete with Steve or anyone who has a business based on FE boats. However I would be happy to help out any one on a limited basis if they can contribute to aiding my continued evaluation of what I consider to be a pretty remarkable 4-pole brushless motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by questtek; 05-26-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Let me say this . The chinese copy yes but thats part of the deal. We want them to manufacture our stuff for next to nothing and all that copying is worked out in the trade agreements so thats on US. Secondly there are usa companies that suck too. Im sitting rite here with a motor with no damn support. They send the motor to folks with no datalogger to test why?????? no logic.The chinese are just as smart as anyone else so if they want to design something nice they could. No one company is god like they all design based on the phiysical properties of the world were all subjected too no matter what the country that should be obvious. If your professor is chinese in a usa school then wat? that kills all that.We need to remember this is a hobby (no one really cares) outside of us. If you find a cheap chinese version that has comparable performance then you buy it for sport and fun or you put that stuff in rtr models to make them cost effective. If you want trophies better go with the european stuff. THE ONE THING THAT IMPRESSES ME ABOUT NEU IS HE BUILDS THEM ONE BY ONE SO YOU KNOW THE FINE DETAILS ARE COVERED AND YOU GET GOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT AS FAR AS THE OTHER US COMPANIES STUFF THEY SEND IT OVER THERE TO BE MANUFACTURED SO WATS THE DIFFERENCE?I also have to agree with RUM yes I said it I agree that real world data beats numbers on paper anyday.If I put a chineese motor in something and it runs as good as a pletti for example then it does thats that.The only things Id like to see is when members dissagree they can talk numbers and data without getting mad at each other. Its not that serious 4 one it takes away from the fun of it all and lastly who needs a new enemy? I dont.The purpose of a forum is to discuss. I think one could compare whatever motor he wants. If its a bad comparison one thing that wont lie is the water so let people experiment for themselves so when someone with experience tells them it wont work they know for themselves it doesnt.Hard heads make for soft azzes. You guys get along better come on.FYI I dont trust the american companies anymore than anyone else US Americans are greedy and love to cut corners thats why were in the mess were in. Chew on that.

If you can keep those motors dry u might have something there.No drag. Y not make them vector thrusters if thats the case . The one problem I see is when the boats up on step are the pods still gonna be dragging in the water? and how will that affect handling?

We dont need to bash the chinese we need to put pressure on the USA companies to compete pricewise or give us something sooo much better that it makes sense. As for this motor I got this is my new policy "if you dont have any data or paperwork with your product you can have it I dont want it' that way the next time I buy a motor I wont have to hear about the same damn 460 prop over and over and over again. I hope the company im speaking of is listening. Its the rude arrogance of american companies thats got us behind; just cause you stamp USA on it dont make it special. We need to hold people to a standard to wear that stamp.Now back to the subject those motors look good to me. I want to try the 52 red in a 1/8th scale anyone wanna buy a screamer?I mean leopard has some data I like that for starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfactor View Post
    Let me say this . The chinese copy yes but thats part of the deal. We want them to manufacture our stuff for next to nothing and all that copying is worked out in the trade agreements so thats on US. Secondly there are usa companies that suck too. Im sitting rite here with a motor with no damn support. They send the motor to folks with no datalogger to test why?????? no logic.The chinese are just as smart as anyone else so if they want to design something nice they could. No one company is god like they all design based on the phiysical properties of the world were all subjected too no matter what the country that should be obvious. If your professor is chinese in a usa school then wat? that kills all that.We need to remember this is a hobby (no one really cares) outside of us. If you find a cheap chinese version that has comparable performance then you buy it for sport and fun or you put that stuff in rtr models to make them cost effective. If you want trophies better go with the european stuff. THE ONE THING THAT IMPRESSES ME ABOUT NEU IS HE BUILDS THEM ONE BY ONE SO YOU KNOW THE FINE DETAILS ARE COVERED AND YOU GET GOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT AS FAR AS THE OTHER US COMPANIES STUFF THEY SEND IT OVER THERE TO BE MANUFACTURED SO WATS THE DIFFERENCE?I also have to agree with RUM yes I said it I agree that real world data beats numbers on paper anyday.If I put a chineese motor in something and it runs as good as a pletti for example then it does thats that.The only things Id like to see is when members dissagree they can talk numbers and data without getting mad at each other. Its not that serious 4 one it takes away from the fun of it all and lastly who needs a new enemy? I dont.The purpose of a forum is to discuss. I think one could compare whatever motor he wants. If its a bad comparison one thing that wont lie is the water so let people experiment for themselves so when someone with experience tells them it wont work they know for themselves it doesnt.Hard heads make for soft azzes. You guys get along better come on.FYI I dont trust the american companies anymore than anyone else US Americans are greedy and love to cut corners thats why were in the mess were in. Chew on that.
    Nice post.
    Nortavlag Bulc

We Americans are such cheap a$$es! We will continue to get what we are now from HobbyKing, etc. I could bring in motors from China that are setting the FE circuit on fire in Europe. They are incredible. BUT they are expensive and I don't believe the majority of US modelers would pay the price for an unknown (in the U.S.) motor at the same price as a NEU motor.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

We dont need to bash the chinese we need to put pressure on the USA companies to compete pricewise or give us something sooo much better that it makes sense. As for this motor I got this is my new policy "if you dont have any data or paperwork with your product you can have it I dont want it' that way the next time I buy a motor I wont have to hear about the same damn 460 prop over and over and over again. I hope the company im speaking of is listening. Its the rude arrogance of american companies thats got us behind; just cause you stamp USA on it dont make it special. We need to hold people to a standard to wear that stamp.Now back to the subject those motors look good to me. I want to try the 52 red in a 1/8th scale anyone wanna buy a screamer?I mean leopard has some data I like that for starts.
    You are pointing out some great things!
    even our American car companies import cars and put their names on them!
    I'm wanting to find two 1600kv motors to run in my TH (Twin Hydro)
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Good point salir plus were just scraping the surface as far a BLDC motors are concerned. Like another member told me theres military app stuff that pulls 25000 watts

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    You are pointing out some great things!
    even our American car companies import cars and put their names on them!
    I'm wanting to find two 1600kv motors to run in my TH (Twin Hydro)
    those leopards look good to me for something like that. Lets remember this all the motors are designed to do a certain amount of work. If you ask more out of it thats where you see if a design was redundant or not. They all work like they are supposed too. We abuse all this stuff. Water is very hard on things esp electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    We Americans are such cheap a$$es! We will continue to get what we are now from HobbyKing, etc. I could bring in motors from China that are setting the FE circuit on fire in Europe. They are incredible. BUT they are expensive and I don't believe the majority of US modelers would pay the price for an unknown (in the U.S.) motor at the same price as a NEU motor.
    Theyll buy it if it gurantees some placed finishes.Also Im gonna say it again when people on here start trying closed loop i really think the amp draws will come down and we can extract more out of the sport.

Anyway yall let me know when someone gets one If i dont beat you too it.

who will be first?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I feel like the Castle/ Neu motors are just as good as the Neu motors..Proof is below:

32" Woodstuff Tunnel, 1515 2200kv Castle/ Neu, 5s1p, 7lbs rtr- World record SAW 64.65mph, and can heat race the same speeds for 1mile

36" Woodstuff Tunnel, 1518 1800kv Castle/ Neu, 5s2p, 9.5lbs rtr- 68.8mph GPS, and can heat race the same speeds for 1mile

Now, I am not saying a Neu version of the above will not do the same, but damn, how much faster does a hull of this size and style need to go!

If these Leopard motors are built the same as the Castle/ Neu's then its a great alternative, if not, the Castle/ Neus are still pretty cheap for what you get! Not to mention you can actually BUY a Castle/ Neu..what about a Neu???haha

Don't even get me started on the Turnigy/ Seaking 180a. That is the best controller made, PERIOD. I have propped a motor up so high that the output wires on the ESC melted off the board..Got home, soldered it back together, and I still run it today. I have had that ESC for well over a year, and its been threw hell.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Oh, come on. You mean, it isn't cheap Chinese crap?! At this point I am running ONLY Castle/Neu motors and Seaking 180's in my boats. They all run flawlessly and take some major abuse!

The only difference is probably the custom options available but also when u handbuil you can bet that his specs are dead on. With the manufactured stuff its probably +/- 5 %. I run turnigy too love it but ist it better than a benz controller???180 amps is alot so to claim it u better be able to do it. But most manufactures rate thier stuff @ 90 percent of what it will do.For good reason ;we wanna take everything to its limits.One need to also consider this . If you wanna pull 60 amps continuous u better buy a 120 amp continuous esc over estimate always. In this hobby overkill is better.I tell you one thing Id buy turnigy before castle i bet you that cause those guys lied in my opinion on the screamer thread. Any esc maker in the world knows that firmware updates alone will not aways fix a problem .They knew that when they said it.

I just want to see the 52 red run.

If you can keep those motors dry u might have something there.No drag. Y not make them vector thrusters if thats the case . The one problem I see is when the boats up on step are the pods still gonna be dragging in the water? and how will that affect handling?
    This build or project is totally experimental. The goal is to make it as simple as possible. I have had great success steering large aeromarine avenger cats using such a dual motor set up but only at lower speeds. I want to try to eliminate the complexity of servos or ducted thrusters. I have tried these motors with large jacuzzi jet drives and they work great but the drive is 4 times the cost of the Leopard motor!

One other factor is that the interior of the cat is most important for my specific application since it is loaded with electronic equipment including a small Pentium computer with solid state drive and three independent wireless video systems. Keeping the motor outside means only batteries and the ESC's inside whose location is very flexible.

This a works in progress and it might be best after all to put the motors on the inside of the outer sponsons with a short, direct drive and again do steering by individual motor speed and direction. You certainly are right on the drag and I do not expect this to be any type of SAW record holder!

who will be first?
    Here is a Leopard 220O KV with water cooling in the motor mount only and fan cooling on the case. I run a complete Eagle Tree system on it with GPS. The boat is not tuned and in I run almost exclusively carbon props. However Josh gave be a three bladed polished prop and here is the Eagle Tree of the first run. 50 MPH is a non-set up condition is a good first start for this mono with my limited knowledge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by questtek; 05-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.

I wonder if the OSE water jackets for the castle/Neu motors will fit. I'm guessing that they will.

Otherwise, it may have the same can O.D. as a Neu 1515.

Quote Originally Posted by questtek View Post
    Here is a Leopard 220O KV with water cooling in the motor mount onlyand fan cooling on the case. I run a complete Eagle Tree system on it with GPS. The boat is not tuned and in I run almost exclusively carbon props. However Josh gave be a three bladed polished prop and here is the Eagle Tree of the first run. 50 MPH is a non-set up condition is a good first start for this mono with my limited knowledge.

What boat is that ? the pursuit from Hobbyking?
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

I'm really interested in the 36-74 1290kv or 1790kv. http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/...ionID=01020211

Just can't find a anywhere to place an order for these motors.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by crabstick View Post
    What boat is that ? the pursuit from Hobbyking?
    Almost....The China factory I deal with makes the Pursuit and Genesis. However the specific ones they sell to Hobby King are different. They actually have 3 or 4 slightly different models on each of the boats. The boat in the picture is one I bought in China in person and hand carried back as a bare hull with drive hardware only.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I wonder if the OSE water jackets for the castle/Neu motors will fit. I'm guessing that they will.
    I gave one of these 2200KV Leopard motors to MarkF for testing on the new Insane Hydro. We ran it with NO type of cooling at all, but only for short, fast runs. MarkF said he had a water jacket for it so hopefully he will read this and add his comment as to the specific type of water jacket he was thinking of putting on it. I think he said he got the jacket from OSE.

Here is a Leopard 220O KV with water cooling in the motor mount only and fan cooling on the case. I run a complete Eagle Tree system on it with GPS. The boat is not tuned and in I run almost exclusively carbon props. However Josh gave be a three bladed polished prop and here is the Eagle Tree of the first run. 50 MPH is a non-set up condition is a good first start for this mono with my limited knowledge.
    Thanks for the pictures!
    are those equal to a 1515 in their size?
    I'm getting really jazed by the possibilities of these motors

Thanks for the pictures!
    are those equal to a 1515 in their size?
    I'm getting really jazed by the possibilities of these motors
    Brushless Motors Neu and Leopard:

Neu 1515 1Y
    Max V 27 vdc
    No load amps 2.5
    Resistance 0.006
    Max RPM 60,000
    Shaft dia 5 mm
    Weight 340 grams
    Length 68.6 mm
    RPM/Volt 2200, 4-pole

The Leopard brushless motors I am currently evaluating
    Current rating 120 A continuous. (I have measured 160 amps via my Eagle Tree on speed runs)
    Max V 22.2 vdc
    Resistance 0.0062
    Shaft dia 5 mm.
    Weight 374 grams
    Length 73.8 mm
    RPM/volt 2200, 4-pole
    dia 40 mm L=75mm

Brushless Motors Neu and Leopard:

Neu 1515 1Y
    Max V 27 vdc
    No load amps 2.5
    Resistance 0.006
    Max RPM 60,000
    Shaft dia 5 mm
    Weight 340 grams
    Length 68.6 mm
    RPM/Volt 2200, 4-pole

The Leopard brushless motors I am currently evaluating
    Max V 22.2 vdc
    Resistance 0.0062
    Shaft dia 5 mm.
    Weight 374 grams
    Length 73.8 mm
    RPM/volt 2200, 4-pole
    dia 40 mm L=75mm
    How could we go wrong?
    looks like I need to order 2 of these bad boys for my Twin powered Hydro

Closed loop?

Theyll buy it if it gurantees some placed finishes.Also Im gonna say it again when people on here start trying closed loop i really think the amp draws will come down and we can extract more out of the sport.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I have a little of every thing and a made in the USA 240 that is smoked after 3 passes and only got to 90 in temp we will see if they will warranty it lol. I would just like to say this if it was not for or knockoffs a lot of poeple would not be able to do FE becouse of the price of the parts just my 2 cents. and I hope they will give me a new 240 ESC or next time I will buy chines.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast