Thread: NiMH Battery Suggestions

Default NiMH Battery Suggestions

Greetings Fellow SV27'ers -

I purchased my SV last spring and had a GREAT time with it last summer. I did notice that towards the end of the season (when I started getting more comfortable running the boat hard) that the EP4500 6 Cell 7.2volt NiMh Sub C Pack from OffShore I had were getting EXTREMELY warm, warm enough to infact begin melting the 'casing' on the batteries!

The boat is pretty much stock. I've added a 2nd turning fin, and I have a few different props I run (all suggested by the GREAT users on this site!). I am also running a Dynamite Twin Peak charger.

The batteries still seem to work GREAT, so I am looking for a few suggestions:

1) What can I do to ensure that my current packs don't fall apart! Also, how long can I expect these batteries to continue performing. Any maintenance suggestions?

2) I am currently searching for a new set of 7.2's. I called the local Hobby Shop and I can get a 7.2 Duratrax 4200 ($34.99) or a 7.2 Duratrax 5000 ($49.99). Can anyone make a recommendation? Not looking to break the bank on this one, trying to keep a pair under $100. Just wonder what I am going to gain between the 2, or if I am looking at the wrong batteries for this application.

I am not looking to go LiPo as I still consider myself a beginner in the 'R/C Boating world' and don't require that kind of performance....yet!

(I will work on getting some pictures of the packs up later this afternoon)

I appreciate ANY suggestions you have!!

Just so you know you can get 4 lipo packs for $100 from Hobbycity and a good charger that will charge anything for under $50 and the performance gain will be well worth it. Plus lipos don't down grade like NiMh do I would switch if I was you. Thats just my 2 cents

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...0mAh_2S1P_20C_

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...w/_accessories

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hld-32&cat=136

Wizard -

That looks like a pretty solid deal.

Charger + Batteries for 150ish

I saw the 3rd item you posted is 'Dimension Engineering Lipo Shield Low Voltage CutOff (LVC)'.

Knowing that I am 100% stock (ESC, motor, esc) is this the ONLY other item I will need? What are the chances of somethin glike this killing my existing gear?!

Appreciate you help and suggestions! Keep them coming!

I run a stock SV set up with those batteries and there have been no issues for two years, The SV setup can take a lot of abuse.
    My batteries are on their second year of use and still going strong after probably 40 charges.

One thing you might look into is a retreival boat of some kind, with LiPos, the SV flies and can be a "tad" unstable unless its really calm.

(4)ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C
    (1)Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
    (1)Dimension Engineering Lipo Shield Low Voltage CutOff (LVC)

This would be the order - am I missing anything? Will my current charger be able to charge these batteries or do I NEED a new charger? (This would yield me 3 sets of batteries, and 2 chargers, and I hate to spend any un-needed cash).

Thanks for the 'retrieval' boat idea, but I am thinking the Centurion Enzo at the end of my dock plays the role quiet well. :P

Whats your current charger?

Dynamite Twin Peak Charger - bought here at OSE:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=dh-dyn4033

No good for Lipos....sorry.

I'm sorry that charger won't work but the stuff I recommended is truly the way to go. Put your charger up on ebay some one will buy it and you will much happier in the long run that charger will charge any hobby battery you have. Check out my posts and if you have any questions just ask always willing to help. WIZ

LiPos are great, and I'm considering upgrading, but if you still want to get NiMh's, you can get these...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWZC0&P=ML

I currently use the 4200's on my boat, but these are the same price and even better. These batteries have gone down in price tremendously, and work great.

Smile Just Do It

For me lipos are the way to go NiMH are just too old school and the added performance is awesome I was just talking to a friend that has a new boat and he was able to try some lipos well his boat went from 27mph to 38mph just switching batteries. that is impressive there is no comparison just do it you won't be sorry.

Default that was my sv!!

[QUOTE=wizard122;186200]For me lipos are the way to go NiMH are just too old school and the added performance is awesome I was just talking to a friend that has a new boat and he was able to try some lipos well his boat went from 27mph to 38mph just switching batteries. that is impressive there is no comparison just do it you won't be sorry.[/QUOTE

i ran my stock sv (stock motor/esc and a prather 220 prop) and i ran 27.4 mph using Diesel's Orion 3300 nimh batteries..Then i switched to Diesel's stock esc with a LVC and his Turnigy 4000mAh 2s 40c lipos and i ran 39.00 mph..can't wait to make the switch to lipo's.. Just remember when it comes to rc boats there is one simple philosophy...it's never fast enough!!

Hey Wizard!
    How easy is it to install the LVC? Thanks

Default Lvc

All you have to do is cut away some insulation on the battery side of the ESC and solder the wires to it and reseal with silicon or heat shrink etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Wizard!

Can I use a Multiplex LN 5014 to charge Lipos? Does it need a balancer to work?

Smile Charging two packs

I think so but I think that you will need one of these to make it work right it will balance them when you charge http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMRZ9&P=ML
    If you are charging two packs at once you need one for each pack
    This is the set up I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=mdunham;186642]
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard122 View Post
    For me lipos are the way to go NiMH are just too old school and the added performance is awesome I was just talking to a friend that has a new boat and he was able to try some lipos well his boat went from 27mph to 38mph just switching batteries. that is impressive there is no comparison just do it you won't be sorry.[/QUOTE

i ran my stock sv (stock motor/esc and a prather 220 prop) and i ran 27.4 mph using Diesel's Orion 3300 nimh batteries..Then i switched to Diesel's stock esc with a LVC and his Turnigy 4000mAh 2s 40c lipos and i ran 39.00 mph..can't wait to make the switch to lipo's.. Just remember when it comes to rc boats there is one simple philosophy...it's never fast enough!!
    LIPO'S LIPO'S LIPO'S
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Hi Guys,
    I'm totally new to the RC Boat world and have found lot of great info here on OSE. I'm on the same boat as to fine good but not breaking the bank batteries for the SV27 that I am fixing up as a Spring project. I've always used NiMH batteries and chargers (12 batteries and 1 duel and 1 single charger) for all 3 of my 1/16 scale trucks and never quite made the plunge to Lipo cause I've aready invested so much. but looking at the prices of the Lipo batteries, surprisingly it's much cheaper then NiMH comparing to the same mAh rating. My questions are regarding the Lipo chargers they just looks so complicated, and notice they need a separate power supply, and can you charge more then 1 battery at once with the above recommended charger, cause long charging wait time really blows. Due to the hi current draw of running a RC boat, it's probably wise to go Lipo.