Greetings Fellow SV27'ers -

I purchased my SV last spring and had a GREAT time with it last summer. I did notice that towards the end of the season (when I started getting more comfortable running the boat hard) that the EP4500 6 Cell 7.2volt NiMh Sub C Pack from OffShore I had were getting EXTREMELY warm, warm enough to infact begin melting the 'casing' on the batteries!

The boat is pretty much stock. I've added a 2nd turning fin, and I have a few different props I run (all suggested by the GREAT users on this site!). I am also running a Dynamite Twin Peak charger.

The batteries still seem to work GREAT, so I am looking for a few suggestions:

1) What can I do to ensure that my current packs don't fall apart! Also, how long can I expect these batteries to continue performing. Any maintenance suggestions?

2) I am currently searching for a new set of 7.2's. I called the local Hobby Shop and I can get a 7.2 Duratrax 4200 ($34.99) or a 7.2 Duratrax 5000 ($49.99). Can anyone make a recommendation? Not looking to break the bank on this one, trying to keep a pair under $100. Just wonder what I am going to gain between the 2, or if I am looking at the wrong batteries for this application.

I am not looking to go LiPo as I still consider myself a beginner in the 'R/C Boating world' and don't require that kind of performance....yet!

(I will work on getting some pictures of the packs up later this afternoon)

I appreciate ANY suggestions you have!!