Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brushless Wild Cat?

the thing i found when i put 370 brushed motors in mine is the boat turn to the right i had to offset my battery and use the rudder to make it go straight again. i say stick with counter rotating props.

Quote Originally Posted by turboed13b View Post
    the thing i found when i put 370 brushed motors in mine is the boat turn to the right i had to offset my battery and use the rudder to make it go straight again. i say stick with counter rotating props.
    Ah, cool. Good to know! When I get some time again, I'll get the brass straightened out and the wires running smooth and she'll be good to go. The ESC's basically have to be mounted inbetween the motors to help keep the cog towards the back. Can't wait to run it in real water. =)

Ok, counter rotating and ready to go! Had some time while I was watching paint dry today. Had to straighten out the brass tubes for the wire drives to spin freely. I moved the wooden supports and re-glued them further towards the motors. They had the stock tubes bent like and s curve. Don't understand why?

Against my better judgement, I decided to do a bench test and open her up to see if I could generate some heat! I would rather have it fail on the bench.

None, really. Didn't get hot at all, in fact, was kinda fun seeing what I could blow off the workbench with it. Good mount of air flow. Had some fun for a few minutes with my little remote control fan.

I'm sure I'll get some heat with the props in the water. =)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah, thought I would add... the cheapie ESC's have a slight delay on acceleration then catch up with a punch... like they are building up and then go.

Of course it broke a shaft today... I think 047 is a bit too small of wire.

Not sure what to do at this point. It would be really great to find a left hand lay cable!

For now, I have a new pair of drives coming and I'll try the stock props both CCW and see how that goes.

It was a rocket! For a minute.
    =)

I think the wire broke because of the s in the tubing. Wire drives can take a slight curve, but an s would be bad I think. You might try Jeff Wohlt he may be able to make you a left & right lay cable for it. Defintly go to something bigger than the stock drive cables. I don't think they'll take the power of the bl motors. Jeff Wohlt can also make motor couplers.

Yep. Already talked with Jeff. He doesn't have the 3mm drives.

I am going to try to straighten the brass some more. I really think they are breaking like you said, because of the double bend, even if reduced to only a slight bend, it's still an s and that's where the wires are breaking.

I guess the way to do it is to heat the tube up with a soldering iron and loosen up the epoxy? I've never messed with removing epoxy like this. If I can get it out, I can replace it with a straighter tube. It's just #128 tubing.

New cables are in. Might get the prop wet this week!
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

The port side wire snapped and put a slight bend in the shaft. Just enough to make some vibration.

The ESC fried, so now there's only 1 ESC working. So I pulled the Rx for another project and shelved it.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Updated photos by request:

More;

Next HK order, I'm planning on another ESC & motor. Will give it another try. Was wicked fast when it ran the first time. =)

You're esc shows a maximum kv of 2000. The motors are 2900kv. Is that why one burnt up??

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    You're esc shows a maximum kv of 2000. The motors are 2900kv. Is that why one burnt up??
    Max 2000 on 3s. 2s doesn't matter.

ESC burnt because I plugged it into a BEC and fried it since it already has a BEC.

Is there such thing as a single ESC w/ BEC that will run two motors ?

Quote Originally Posted by GTX View Post
    Is there such thing as a single ESC w/ BEC that will run two motors ?
    So far, no. But I've gotten two ESC's to share the same cooling block and shrink wrapped them together successfully. When the other ESC comes in, I'll post some photos of it going together. It takes up much less room shrinked up as one unit.

Hmm that is too bad....but how about this.

two brushed Frenzy 370's one brushed ESC with the two motors running off it in parallel ?

I think the airplane guys do this ?

yeah, as far as I know, you can run two motors off of a brushed ESC. The stock wildcat uses an ESC/Rx all in one with two brushed motors. The generic brushless ESC's are only about $10... http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...pe_GX-30A.html

OSE has the water blocks to cool them. Mount them back to back and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GTX View Post
    Hmm that is too bad....but how about this.

two brushed Frenzy 370's one brushed ESC with the two motors running off it in parallel ?

I think the airplane guys do this ?
    Im runnin the frenzys with the mlst esc i need to run smaller props as the battery gets hot.

I love these mini boats! I have a mini C, its been a pain in the butt with water ingress and the ABS is cracked up. Pity these little boats that look so scale cant be easily modded. your build looks great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12