Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER

When is is good t ochange the stinger motors..they seem good and I take them out when ever I lube the shafts and use an ole' toothbrush to clean them, then I stick them in a ziplock bag with royal purple lubricant for like an hour moving them around letting them soak. They don't have any ruff spots when you spin them. There the stock bearings I have like 3 more sets aswell so no real worries. If they still fit snug in the stinger and roll well is there any need to change them. I do notice the more you remove a certain bearing the less it likes to sit snug in the stinger.

As long as you dont let water set in them, and lube em like youre doing, they should last a long time. I have one side that keeps working its way out and I have to super glue it all the time.

Thanks Scott didn't think about cleaning grease part way in and super gluing it to stay. Gottah try that. Well I changed them tonight but kept the old ones as spares. No they spin freely since day 1. No ruff spots when turned. You hear bout ceramic this and that. But the stockys are pretty dang good. Yeah they get grease on them but once clean and I drop them in a zip lock of lube and let them soak. No real issues really. Teflon lube is also another idea to use.

I was thinkin of going ceramic. But they are big $$$$$$$ Stockers are good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I do run 4s most of the time. I use my cf-40's that have gotten me 55.2mph so far on 4s. I do like to use 3s when I want good run times and less heat.
    where did you get the cf-40s to fit the 4mm shaft or do you use adapters?
    are thy cr props?gunna go 10xl's in furture.
    priced out boca bearing and got 48 for all shipped...not to bad
    (ultra ceramic)

Yeah not to bad if it's a one time continous deal. If u still have to change them I can buy about 10 sets for that price. I might get the ceramics if one buy one deal is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    where did you get the cf-40s to fit the 4mm shaft or do you use adapters?
    are thy cr props?gunna go 10xl's in furture.
    priced out boca bearing and got 48 for all shipped...not to bad
    (ultra ceramic)
    I use the cf-40's for the 3/16 shaft and use spacers. The cf-40 comes in reverse rotation too.

I think the cf 40's would be great with the 10-xl's. They are inexpensive too!

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    Yeah not to bad if it's a one time continous deal. If u still have to change them I can buy about 10 sets for that price. I might get the ceramics if one buy one deal is where it's at.
    hook a guy up...where?
    10 sets sound better..i lube after each day out
    would be nice to have a bunch already togo...

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I think the cf 40's would be great with the 10-xl's. They are inexpensive too!
    thanx gunna start looking...

Does any one know if the sponsons can fit a zippy 5s 5800 lipo, im thinking about getting a bare ekos and making it a single drive and would like to use my existing packs. I know that they fit with some room to spare in the hotr cat which is also a 32". If anyone knows please let me know.

If you can post the dimensions of the pack, I can let you know

Hey thanks, its 145x50x50mm, I was thinking one in each sponson, and a 540XL single drive, hopefully its pretty similar to the hotr cat space wise. Also do you think there is enough height for the motor in the middle? Thanks alot

Yeah there's enough space. You'd have to re
    remove the hatch foam but it works. I cut half of it off just invade.

So both the batteries in the sponsons and motor should fit then? Anyone know what strut people have been using on single drive ekos setups? Something like whats on the genesis cat or?

Good question maybe a nitro cat setup would work just before the rudder or you could just go with another type of rudder cresrarch before cause once u cut no going back unless u glass it over which will never be ass tuff as the whole boat glassed or a mold.

It is the same hull as the HOTR cat, so a single will fit on the tunnel just fine.

Ok thanks alot, has anyone had any luck getting the turingy 180s in this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by obrien008 View Post
    Ok thanks alot, has anyone had any luck getting the turingy 180s in this thing?
    If your packs are in the sponsons, then there should be plenty of room for the 180's between the sponsons.

What about height wise though? I know the hotr does have too much height to it?

Should be no problem. The 180 isnt too tall and the hatch bubble gives some extra space.

Like I was gona do but then I realized that 120 amp is more than you will ever need to push or the hull would handle at the speeds that you'd come close to..those 120 amp are continous not peak rating..I think peak is like capable of 6s maybe 7s..thats serious power right there...this may be a 70 mph hull but wouldn't want to see a crash after that...well ran the boat yesterday on 4S again..motors not even warm lol its my 8th time..gonna stop counting though after the 10th time..this is a capable 4s boat to me..depends all on the props that you use really. Other than that she should be fine. I think most did something wrong with ther ESC or maybe timing by pressing throttle while the connected there boat lol mine works great..over 20 runs on the stock set up minus shafts and dog gears and couplers from JEFFS shop.

gunna try your set-up and drop down to the 32mm props see if
    i can get alittle more out of her.other wise same results @ about
    5 months and over 100 runs....i love this boat.
    Last edited by scubasteve95; 07-21-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Well, I got mine in the water on 4s and it really moves. A couple of observations and some advice needed: I was surprised how low it sat in the water (4s 5000 packs) the back end was submerged to the hatch line--but it came out of the water when I hit the throttle, that's for sure.

But it also bounced a lot--the front end was like it was on a trampoline. I take it this is a balance problem--do I need to try and push the packs forward a bit? Where are you guys balancing this hull? Have not changed any drive angles, just ran it the way it came (although I am running 9xl and cf40 props with Turnigy 120s--don't want to give any false impressions here). Thanks...Pete M

PS--serious difference in speed between 3s and 4s packs--I use the programming box to reset the cutoff voltage when I want to just "cruise" around on 3s packs--nice to have that easy to do option...

PPS--also, adapters for the 3/16" prop--turned out I couldn't find any brass tubing to fit without a long drive to hobby shop, so I used the outer sheath fromn a Nyrod--if you want to get fancy, make a spiral cut in the plastic, then you can slip it over the shaft and the prop fits great. but if you get tired of it breaking on you while trying a spiral cut, a straight cut will work just as well.

Like I was gona do but then I realized that 120 amp is more than you will ever need to push or the hull would handle at the speeds that you'd come close to..those 120 amp are continous not peak rating..I think peak is like capable of 6s maybe 7s..thats serious power right there...this may be a 70 mph hull but wouldn't want to see a crash after that...well ran the boat yesterday on 4S again..motors not even warm lol its my 8th time..gonna stop counting though after the 10th time..this is a capable 4s boat to me..depends all on the props that you use really. Other than that she should be fine. I think most did something wrong with ther ESC or maybe timing by pressing throttle while the connected there boat lol mine works great..over 20 runs on the stock set up minus shafts and dog gears and couplers from JEFFS shop.
    I'm sure the wire drives really help to reduce motor load!

Quote Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
    Well, I got mine in the water on 4s and it really moves. A couple of observations and some advice needed: I was surprised how low it sat in the water (4s 5000 packs) the back end was submerged to the hatch line--but it came out of the water when I hit the throttle, that's for sure.

But it also bounced a lot--the front end was like it was on a trampoline. I take it this is a balance problem--do I need to try and push the packs forward a bit? Where are you guys balancing this hull? Have not changed any drive angles, just ran it the way it came (although I am running 9xl and cf40 props with Turnigy 120s--don't want to give any false impressions here). Thanks...Pete M

PS--serious difference in speed between 3s and 4s packs--I use the programming box to reset the cutoff voltage when I want to just "cruise" around on 3s packs--nice to have that easy to do option...

PPS--also, adapters for the 3/16" prop--turned out I couldn't find any brass tubing to fit without a long drive to hobby shop, so I used the outer sheath fromn a Nyrod--if you want to get fancy, make a spiral cut in the plastic, then you can slip it over the shaft and the prop fits great. but if you get tired of it breaking on you while trying a spiral cut, a straight cut will work just as well.
    Not much room for battery adjustment. I would play with the drive angle adjustment.

I bet but I have flex shafts from jeff not wire drive..so if thats the case I know that I could run 36mm on 4s and if scuba does go to 32mm props..wow that thing might just be a High RPM bullet. The issue I'm having now is with the left motor mount if looking from the back of the hull...its pretty loose and when shafts are turned you can see motor shake a lil. Anyone got remedys..noticed the mount towards the bottom of the hull had gotten pushed towards the rudder..its still fiberglassed down..its just the mount moves a lil..anyone got remedies..or is a new hull in order...was gona use some epoxy to station it and set it.

I bet but I have flex shafts from jeff not wire drive..so if thats the case I know that I could run 36mm on 4s and if scuba does go to 32mm props..wow that thing might just be a High RPM bullet. The issue I'm having now is with the left motor mount if looking from the back of the hull...its pretty loose and when shafts are turned you can see motor shake a lil. Anyone got remedys..noticed the mount towards the bottom of the hull had gotten pushed towards the rudder..its still fiberglassed down..its just the mount moves a lil..anyone got remedies..or is a new hull in order...was gona use some epoxy to station it and set it.
    I would get some 5 min. epoxy and spread it around the motor mount to beef it up. Epoxy works wonders, and you can get it at home depot in a syringe-like tube that mixes it as it exits the tube. I like this type because you can get the epoxy into tight spots without getting it all over everything. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...8&n=228013&s=h

Yep just used some epoxy with filler. Rolled it sanded a bit spread it avoiding space where motor and coupler go. Smoothed out just waiting now. Then gona use a regular clear to fill the space on the bottom of the mount. Should do the trick. It's no longer moving. Those types of glue I don't trust. I usually still mix it in a paper plate then spread. Thanks man for advice. Working or seems to be solved.

sounds like you got it under control,
    try 50min marine epoxy from homedepot if you still have issues
    you still have to mix it
    but with the surface prepped good it holds strong.
    and the 32mm props are on the way,so we will see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast