Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER

Default VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER

OK,
    I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE THEADS ON THIS BOAT AND
    I DON'T WANT TO SOUND INSENSITIVE ,I'M SURE SOME OF YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE GRIPE WITH VENOM BUT I CAN'T BE
    THE ONLY ONE THATS NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES....CAN I?ALL I DID WAS ADD SOME EXTRA COOLING.
    4 RUNS WITH SAME RESULTS
    4S 5000mah DLG POWER LIPOS WITH PCB 120 DEGREES SHUT DOWN
    MOTORS @ 90-120 DEGREES
    ESC'S @ 80-90 DEGREES
    RUN TIME APPROX.8 MINS @ WFO
    STINGERS @ 0 DRGREES
    STOCK PROPS 36mm PLASTIC(VENOM PRO 36mm FOR NEXT RUNS)
    ESC'S SET TO 0 TIMING ADVANCE
    EST SPEED 45 ISH
    GOTTA THANK JAMES OVER @ VENOM AND SAILOR OVER @ MINICAT RACING FOR ANSWERING ALL(ABOUT 40)
    OF MY PHONE CALLS
    GPS INSTALLED NOW SO I SHOULD HAVE EXACT MPH NEXT POST.
    GOING TO TURN ESC'S UP AND STINGERS ABOUT 2 DEGREES NEGITIVE.
    ANYBODY WITH INPUT BEFORE I DO?

How do u set timing on stock motors and esc?

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    How do u set timing on stock motors and esc?
    ITS VERY EASY
    GO TO VENOM SITE AND CLICK ON THE PICTURE OF THE EKOS
    THEN CLICK DOCUMENTS
    GO TO PAGE 5 AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
    I SET MY TIMING TO - 0 ADDED 6 INLETS AND OUTLETS AND
    AM HAVING NO ISSUES ON 4s,BUT,
    (DO NOT RUN 4s ..... JUST BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME)
    I'M NOT SAYING DON'T BUT IF YOU DO ITS ON YOU......
    JUST HAVE FUN WHAT EVER YOU DO

I may upgrade to 4s till the stockys burn out. My question is on the motor mounts those two small holes what head is that. A hex, philips, etc. Trying remove coupling but it's flush in line with motor mount. So should I unbolt motor from mount or mount from boat to get to the couplers on the shaft.

I may upgrade to 4s till the stockys burn out. My question is on the motor mounts those two small holes what head is that. A hex, philips, etc. Trying remove coupling but it's flush in line with motor mount. So should I unbolt motor from mount or mount from boat to get to the couplers on the shaft.
    remove motor from mount,it easy with a flex shaft.
    the set screw is a 1.5mm hex
    i would also upgrade the cooling for 4s...6 inlets and 6 outlets
    every thing stays nice and cool...
    go kick some gas a$$

6 and 6? 2 esc's and 2 motors need no more than one each or the setup is too hot. Bottom line. The motors are not 4s motors. The esc's cant handle the amps. Don't do it. It's not as easy as replacing gear when it fails, A burned esc can put a hole thru the hull and damage cells and the motor with no problem. As well as leaving a big stinky smokey mess. If you want to go faster, pull the stock gear, and replace it with the appropriate stuff. A true 4s motor will be around 2000kv. Get the best esc's you can afford that will fit in your hull. It isn't worth the risk. Mr. scubasteve95 is the ONLY person around having any luck with 4s on his stock EKOS. In fact, it's quite hard to believe. Sorry.

dont be sorry...no one cares
    there are ports in the motor mount
    that are not being used,a couple of 4mm
    taps and your done,already had inlets and outlets,
    keeping the bearing cool just seems to
    make sence or no?
    Last edited by scubasteve95; 07-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Default Wire drive test

still running stock motors and esc's with 4s
    but added pro probs and wire drives..
    heres what happened.

Jeff's wire drives are awesome!

A little odd, only 41mph w/36mm props. I get 52-54mph w/32mm props on 4s and am running 2700kv 540 size motors.

Something says you might have gotten lower KV motors from the factory, which would be a very good thing and help explain the longevity.

Make sure the prop dogs are snug against the stingers, water will pressurize the stuffing tube if there's a gap.

Very cool. Congrats on getting it setup.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Lol how does he get a lower kv motor from the factory lol. My boat runs fine on 4s. I think it's really in the props though. 32mm like what someone on her told me. Runs great with hop up couplers and jeffs flex shaft and dogs. Gona take vids next weekend of it against gas boats twice the size. Should be intresting.

Lol how does he get a lower kv motor from the factory lol. My boat runs fine on 4s. I think it's really in the props though. 32mm like what someone on her told me. Runs great with hop up couplers and jeffs flex shaft and dogs. Gona take vids next weekend of it against gas boats twice the size. Should be intresting.
    If the windings are the wrong length, the kv will be off... Just a possibility. Also if the supplier ran low on stock, they might use a different batch until stock is replenished. This does happen in manufacturing. Often.

Just guessing though.

The real mystery is higher RPM and less MPH with bigger props.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Cool

Something says you might have gotten lower KV motors from the factory, which would be a very good thing and help explain the longevity.
    I really doubt he has non-stock motors. The speed is low probably because he is over-propped. The motors can't spin up to their most efficient rpm - this is common when you go overboard on prop size. The stock EKOS motors are rather small with limited torque, made worse by the higher-than-normal voltage used. If he cut those props down to 32-33mm he'd likely pick up some speed by utilizing the higher pitch, which is what determines the top speed anyway.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I <3 fluid

the 2 things i believe the reason are,
    over prop...should be 32mm
    and stingers are set alittle to neg...boat still runs slightly nose down
    gunna go abit more pos on stingers..should get me to about 45max
    also gotta get the 2lb of water out thats coming in..bummer
    i am glad that vikos is out there so you all can see i am not the only (lucky)
    person on here....o yea..vikos you also owe me a thank you....
    for taking all of the abuse and name calling so we can have a clam discussion
    about the ekos on 4s....
    go to the other EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER thead and you will see what i meen(mean)

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    no wonder nothings burned up its all under water it never gets hot

with that amount of water in side the hull could also have an effect on top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    If the windings are the wrong length, the kv will be off... Just a possibility. Also if the supplier ran low on stock, they might use a different batch until stock is replenished. This does happen in manufacturing. Often.

Just guessing though.

The real mystery is higher RPM and less MPH with bigger props.
    If he's running 36mm pro machined and i'm running 32mm pro machined, my props are gona pull more RPM's than his. His will produce more torque but also drain more amps to produce power..Take off will be quicker than mine but top speed will be slower..

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve95 View Post
    the 2 things i believe the reason are,
    over prop...should be 32mm
    and stingers are set alittle to neg...boat still runs slightly nose down
    gunna go abit more pos on stingers..should get me to about 45max
    i am glad that vikos is out there so you all can see i am not the only (lucky)
    person on here....o yea..vikos you also owe me a thank you....
    for taking all of the abuse and name calling so we can have a clam discussion
    about the ekos on 4s....
    go to the other EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER thead and you will see what i meen(mean)
    I don't judge nor make opinions outloud...I how ever really wanted to see if 4s was possible and it is. If your running WOT till your batterys die then your crazy cause cooling is no where near as good as say mid throttle which I feel is the issue with most that have burnt up something. I will take videos today of the run so you all can see..first will be 3s then I'll do the 4s..I have no GPS so I'm not even going to guess speed but you will see the difference, I was shocked. oh on 4s 3200mah that is...don't want to run longer power incase but my 3s are 4000mah with great run time indeed...Just sucks when power is dead and the boat barely turns to make it back to shore.

WOT...YES INDEED,
    motors run coolest and most efficent @wot i have found.
    plus i added all kinds of extra cooling.
    4s 5000mah i am getting 15-20 mins now with the venom charger compared to
    the 8 mins on the other charger i was using
    and thats beat you don't have a gps i was hoping you could give
    me your top speed and i could compare it to mine.you using 32mm
    and me using 36mm prop,i am betting you could go wot
    for a couple of seconds to get it.also can you tell me your run
    time on the 4s?just need someone to compare numbers against..thanx

If he's running 36mm pro machined and i'm running 32mm pro machined, my props are gona pull more RPM's than his. His will produce more torque but also drain more amps to produce power..Take off will be quicker than mine but top speed will be slower..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    no wonder nothings burned up its all under water it never gets hot

with that amount of water in side the hull could also have an effect on top speed.
    dude ... now thats funny....

ok I'll check run times...ran the boat a second time on 4s and ran fine..way to much chop the boat kept bouncing..I could clearly see the red props every time she passed by...which is why Ithink the shaft came on done. A coupler set screw got flung out of the hole,put everything back together locktite this time gona run her this morning soon as my packs balance...welll with 2 WOT runs and one half throttle pass my motors are no where as hot when I use to run WOT throttle...but again you have additional cooling on the boat so that might also be why..my skipping was not allowing for good cooling even with 0 degree trim she still hopped...even flipped it and kept going. My friend took the video on his HTC EVO trying to figure out how to send it so I can post it. I might go to radio shack and buy a GPS since there pretty cheap these days and take some speed runs.To scared to put my GPS application from my iPhone in there and lose my phone lol....

vikos,
    go on ebay to get your gps..
    got mine for 20 bucks delivered brand new(garmin gecko 101)
    gives max speed, time and alot of other stuff.....fits nice and neat to.

Where are you mounting your gps? I have the little garmin forerunner that I usually mount with velcro in front of the battery tray. But recently found that I can pick up a little speed by shoving my gps in the back between the fake little exaust ports. Its a tight squeeze but I gained a couple mph because I changed the c.o.g. slightly. Food for thought!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good spot but that's where most of the water collects. But this would help with skipping on wot gottah try that. Thanks steve

Good spot but that's where most of the water collects. But this would help with skipping on wot gottah try that. Thanks steve
    Yeah, the gps is supposed to be water proof up to 3m. Unfortunately theres not much room in the ekos to adjust the center of gravity with the batteries (even if you remove the trays)

Well careful placement of Velcro in the rear will help that alot. Gona check radio shack for a gps or officemax

i have mine same place forescott shows his but the rear is
    a good idea...once i finish all my tests i will try in rear and
    see what changes....
    any issuses with signal back there?
    the window up front gives alittle view of the sky...maybe its
    not needed..(the window that is)

I like the window because I can bring it in and check the top speed without un-taping the hatch!

I just don't like the way the window likes to fog with moisture in side makes me thing electronics are getting wet. But hull tape is amazing I must say. My stingers are at -1 or -2 no reading just trial and error but I doubt it'll make a difference in choppy conditions. Boat will still skip. Hey Scott I'm surprised ur not running on 4s with ur set up. Or are u. Are those 9xl u got running. This Saturday will be the 5th time she runs on 4s with no issues other than a coupler screw coming undone and shaft sliding out part way. How is a piece of silicone cooling tube sopost to help from not losing a shaft anyways.

I do run 4s most of the time. I use my cf-40's that have gotten me 55.2mph so far on 4s. I do like to use 3s when I want good run times and less heat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast