Thread: Programming a Turnigy 120a ESC

Default Programming a Turnigy 120a ESC

I started on calibration programming and didn't get far. Quickly the motor stopped beeping and only the BEC functions... I simply turned on the ESC with the controller at full tilt and now it's gone... no more beep.

It doesn't respond at all, just BEC.

Any ideas? It's a new ESC and was working properly.
    ________
    Og kush
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:42 PM.

What radio are you using? Check all solder links. Be sure all batts are fully charged.

I know its obvious stuff, but sometimes overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    What radio are you using? Check all solder links. Be sure all batts are fully charged.

I know its obvious stuff, but sometimes overlooked.
    Yeah, I'm going round and round with trying different cell packs diff voltages, plugging in different motors, w/BEC, wo/BEC... so far... nada.

I did remove the shrink wrap to see if there's anything obvious and the little red led is on. Giving me hope that it might work eventually...

FYI the radio is a TRX TQ HO 2.4G (long range is great)
    ________
    KTM 300EXC

Hmm, the reason I asked about radio is my Futaba did the same thing.. then I remembered you have to run the throttle in reverse for it to work.
    Be sure your getting full 100% throttle... also hit full reverse. Mine was doing wierd things in programming until I figured out the reverse thing. Doesnt tell you that in the manual. It was like it was getting stuck and you couldnt get it to go to the next program mode. But if yours isnt beeping at all.... Did you check the trouble shooting in the manual? Maybe its got an easy solution. I dont have mine in front of me or Id look.

Hmm, the reason I asked about radio is my Futaba did the same thing.. then I remembered you have to run the throttle in reverse for it to work.
    Be sure your getting full 100% throttle... also hit full reverse. Mine was doing wierd things in programming until I figured out the reverse thing. Doesnt tell you that in the manual. It was like it was getting stuck and you couldnt get it to go to the next program mode. But if yours isnt beeping at all.... Did you check the trouble shooting in the manual? Maybe its got an easy solution. I dont have mine in front of me or Id look.
    The only situation in the manual for a "no beeb" is check battery connection..

I've used 2s, 3s and 4s packs hoping it might be low batt, but still same. The little led is lit and the BEC is powered, but no response, no beep. It was working fine yesterday.. with the current receiver/tx.
    ________
    Og kush marijuana strain

Is this the same ESC as the Sea-King 120a?
    ________
    Dodge charger (b-body) specifications
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Yes

Yes
    So if I bought a Sea King 120a ESC, it would work in pair with a Turnigy 120a ESC and the Sea King programming card would work with the Turnigy 120?

If this is the case, I might just pick up a Sea-King w/card to pair up with the working Turnigy ESC.
    ________
    Vapir No2
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Ive not owned a SK, but pic to pic and from what everyone says, they are manufactured by the same company then labeled by many. I would check caps etc to be sure everything is exactly the same before I paired it up w/ another esc. If it were me, Id just get another Turnigy.

Ive not owned a SK, but pic to pic and from what everyone says, they are manufactured by the same company then labeled by many. I would check caps etc to be sure everything is exactly the same before I paired it up w/ another esc. If it were me, Id just get another Turnigy.
    Yeah, it's back ordered. Out of stock =(

I should have bought 4 when I could.
    If anyone finds one for sale new or used, link me up, I'll take it.
    ________
    Weed vaporizers
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.

I'd try programming it with a different radio, even if you have to borrow a buddy's.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    I'd try programming it with a different radio, even if you have to borrow a buddy's.
    Yep. Changed radios, receivers, AM, FM, 2.4... Changed motors. Still no beep.

Might just cut the motor wires and use it as a BEC. The BEC still works.
    ________
    TOYOTA SV-3 HISTORY
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Did you check that all the connections (solder) are nice and solid?

Before you cut the wires, just for giggles, I'd resolder all connections.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Before you cut the wires, just for giggles, I'd resolder all connections.
    Yeah, there's always the possibility of a loose connection. Kinda like a loose batt terminal in a car. Enough to run the lights, but not to run the starter.

Still confuses me that the BEC works and the little red LED is on.
    ________
    Buy volcano vaporizer

FYI- Hobbyhot has the sea king w/programming card $86 shipped...

I really liked the feel of this ESC and the performance. Think it's just a defect. I've learned to expect about a 60% success rate with generic stuff. Anything more is a bonus.
    ________
    Vaporizer Wiki

I found that the throttle trim needs to be in the full right Clockwise position for it to arm and even properly calibrate throttle setting unlike the stock aq esc's that need throttle trim to be neutral.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

OK, I got this figured out. It's DEAD. The motor it was hooked up to failed. I hooked the motor up to a car ESC and the thing went nuts with alarms. Spun the shaft compared to a known good of the same model and yeah, it's messed up.

This one is my fault for thinking that running a 120a ESC with an 80 amp rated motor was a good idea. Just because some people have done it with success, doesn't mean it's OK to do.
    (I think I over propped it too!)

So, I cut the motor wires and now use it as a separate BEC circuit for another boat. WIN!

I love being able to turn a bad situation into good.

...and learning a bit along the way. PSA- Don't over AMP or over PROP, especially not BOTH!
    ________
    Drug Testing
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminR View Post
    FYI- Hobbyhot has the sea king w/programming card $86 shipped...

I really liked the feel of this ESC and the performance. Think it's just a defect. I've learned to expect about a 60% success rate with generic stuff. Anything more is a bonus.
    Guess I showed me! LOL... Maybe it's MY success rate?

I love finding my own mistakes. They are under my control and can be fixed!

BTW- the Hobbyhot Seaking 120 is the early Hobbywing ESC, same as the Turnigy 120 not the newer Seaking 120 Heifei. (There'a photo of both versions in the description)
    ________
    Yamaha Rt1
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Be sure your getting full 100% throttle... also hit full reverse. Mine was doing wierd things in programming until I figured out the reverse thing. Doesnt tell you that in the manual. It was like it was getting stuck and you couldnt get it to go to the next program mode.

I'm also running the switch in throttle reverse from my Futaba radio. Are you saying to be sure the thrtl switch on the radio is set to reverse, or literally reverse the trigger on the radio (push instead of pull)?

Switch set to reverse and your good to go

I had the same issue with this esc:
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Cooled_ESC
    There was simply no beeps out of the box.
    No beep, no programming, bye bye esc....
    My BEC was ok.
    Sent back to HK for replacement. New one beeps fine and programming was done ok......
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    I started on calibration programming and didn't get far. Quickly the motor stopped beeping and only the BEC functions... I simply turned on the ESC with the controller at full tilt and now it's gone... no more beep.

It doesn't respond at all, just BEC.

Any ideas? It's a new ESC and was working properly.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Switch set to reverse and your good to go
    OK thanks. Good to know when I finally receive mine.