Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobbywing Seaking 180 GO BOOM

Default Hobbywing Seaking 180 GO BOOM

I must be the only one that got a bad one!! This was the forth run total on this esc since I recieved it last Thursday. Went 10 feet from shore and blew the top off of my Fountain and proceeded to erupt into a little bonfire.

I'm really amazed that the hull survived with only smoke damage that can mostly be rubbed out. I can tell ya one thing, I'm sure glad I wasn't standing over it when it happened. Sounded and looked like a little cannon going off!!!

Well, I guess it was time for me to take a break............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the smelly boat club......
    Team Liquid Dash

Why did the motor wires burn off the speedo? Thats an odd one.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Yep...something more than a little wrong there. Still thinking of putting my cheapo ESCs in a cut small lipo bag.

I have no idea of what went wrong. I haven't changed anything at all since the last run the other day. It sure blew my top off of my boat!! I had it active while I taped the boat up, and even bumped the throttle for a split second to listen to the drive train and tossed her in the water. Hit the throttle and that's what I got......who knows.

How many cells were you running through it?
    -Chief

I was running a 4s2p setup that I had ran with it for 4 runs previously. I was really impressed with this esc before it went boom. It had one of the smoothest throttle responses of all the esc's that I have used. I honestly don't know what could have went wrong.

whats your motor kv, prop size and boat length?thats whats happen when your motor failed
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

I was running an 8xl. I think the kv is around 2023. Prop size is an Octura 640. It's the same setup that I have been running for months now. I changed esc's because I had a cheap chinese 200a that starting having some weird issues, so I changed to this HW 180A. The esc and motor were only barely warm after a full run, so I don't think heat was an issue. Also, it failed on what was going to be my first run of the day on Sunday. Really strange how it happened.

is it possible the batteries got wired in series rather than parallel?
    Looks and sounds alot like when I accidently wired my SV in series...REALLY FAST!!!...for 10 feet, then BOOM!
    burning on my toasted ESC looks nearly identical to yours.

Well, I guess anything is possible, but the way I have my "Y" connectors, kind of makes it physically impossible to wire in series. The esc also beeped 4 times indicating that it recognized 4 cells. It blew right when I hit the throttle....so I don't know. I agree though, it looks like a REALLY high voltage spike.

Hmmm....
    I was just reading this:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=14314
    Very close scenarios....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

My motor appears to be undamaged and no wires have any sign of heat or shorting out. My question is......could something with the motor have caused this? the reason I ask is I just want to make sure not to blow another esc when I hook this motor back up to it. I know that there isn't much to a brushless motor to cause an issue, I just wanted to make sure.

I hate to say it, but those xl motors are nothing but amp hogs. The Castle/Neu, Neu, and Medusa motors just don't pull that many amps, and run so much more efficiently. I had an 8xl, and it got everything super hot in a Titan 29 I had. Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

I had ran it 4 packs previously a couple of days before the blowout. The temps on the motor and esc were low....barely warm.....but I don't know what the spikes were to the esc while running when my prop comes out of the water. Heck, I guess it just could boil down to a defective esc

I know the Neu/Medusa and so on are higher quality motors, but the initial costs of one keeps me away........I know the pay now or pay later scenario..... It's just that since the first of the year my boat budget has been WAY low....along with everything else.

Hopefully it will not happen again. I could see if I pushed it while running and it fried for some reason, and I always check my caps, but the thing was barely warm after a wide open run for the duration of the pack. It's just the way it happened that makes me think that maybe.........just maybe it was a defect.

What's so bad is that I sold my only other running boat to help fund the new esc. Thankful though that it wasn't the esc along with the hull

i run a 120 amp esc in my cat with a 8xl on 4s with a s215 which is close to a x640 so dont think the amp draw was to high imo
    but i only run for around 2 min,if your running for a whole pack and have 5000+ mah then that could cause damage

Logically, there's only two ways this release of energy could occur : a dead short on the input side inside the SC [not likely], or a dead or near dead short or load on the output side anywhere from inside the SC or all the way to the motor. I'd be carefull with that motor - testing it out with another SC could be risky ! I've taken out a brand new Hydra 240 by giving a full throttle start from rest. [ I don't ever do that anymore ] Remember that the transient spike on startup can really skyrocket. Faigao motors can suffer from magnet degradation over time, drawing more and more current. I recently smoked my super trusty CC 80 which worked for years, with a rather old 9XL. I've parked that motor.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

chopper,
    That's what in the back of my mind on the motor also. I just get this bad feeling about it.......geez, now I need to keep my eye out for another motor..........it's all good though..

Those blue motor leads are not 'fixed' onto the esc particulally good,i've had one come off in use and smoke the same esc in similar fashion,my hatch was pressing against them and must have jarred one loose.
    Slow gets boring fast.

my hatch was pressing against them and must have jarred one loose.

Now that is the best sounding scenario that I have heard on it yet. Mine was exactly the same way.....the hatch was pressing against them when I had it taped down. I didn't think anything of it. I'll know now...

Look on Ebay for a castle/neu 1515 1y. Search castle monster. You can find them pretty cheap on there. They are excellent motors!

My new boat will have the esc and batteries in a mini lipo bag. I cant afford a boat meltdown but batteries and esc i can live with.

If you got that motor really hot, you demagnetized it. Then as it lost its magnetism, it started demanding more and more amps from the SC until it cooked it. My Feigao 580L did the same thing, took out my Seaking 180A esc but nothing smoked.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    My Feigao 580L did the same thing, took out my Seaking 180A esc but nothing smoked.
    Hey sailr is this recent. I know you were concerned about this happening a while back. Anymore info on setup?

If you got that motor really hot, you demagnetized it. Then as it lost its magnetism, it started demanding more and more amps from the SC until it cooked it.

I hadn't even ran the motor that day, it was the first run of the day. A couple of days before, I had done 4 runs and the motor and esc were barely warm.

Are you using Bec?

Do you use a spark suppressor?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I'm not using a seperate BEC because I was only running a 4s setup. I also have never used a spark suppressor, but if would help, I'm game to give it a try. I have another ESC on the way, but I have to tell you that after seeing my canopy fly into the air about 20 feet when the cap popped, I'm a little gun shy.....

Please try and NOT use the internal BEC, Try a UBEC for $7 or rx pack. I just don't know why they keep putting BEC into decent esc's.

A 33 OHM 1 WATT resistor soldered into a Aligator clip jumper cable is nice & portable, non permanent.

Your caps will like it better!
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have an external BEC that I can use. How do you use this spark arrestor that you described?

Does running non-bec end up running the ESC cooler as well? My caps are getting hot and I was considering putting a etti board on it if it will cool them down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast