Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EKOS C1 Dual Motor Upgrade!

- Just an update, waiting on parts for the bearings on the stingers. I'm going to try the Boca Ultra Seal bearings and work on packing the stingers more effectively. Getting another set of bearings as a backup too.

As soon as Jeff get's the wire drives ready, I'll get those up and running. =)

I'm pretty sure the drives were not spinning freely enough and it's all me. I was upset and forgot to pull the drive and clean it the first time it broke the motor... I'm sure the salt water kilt the bearings by sitting in it for a week. Even with MPPL in the tubes, I should have pulled out the drive and soaked the bearings. Although, they are very cheap bearings and I'm sure the salt water would have eaten them up soon anyway...
    ________
    Green Crack
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:16 PM.

I really think the 062 wire drives may be a real hot set up. No stuffing tube issues and just two coupler changes. Less resistance and no right left crap on cables. Would be perfect for 3 and 4S set ups.

They will be 4mm stubs x 062 drive on the EKOS page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    I really think the 062 wire drives may be a real hot set up. No stuffing tube issues and just two coupler changes. Less resistance and no right left crap on cables. Would be perfect for 3 and 4S set ups.

They will be 4mm stubs x 062 drive on the EKOS page.
    I have two 1800Kv 100amp motors I'm putting in here on 4s. So um... yeah. Just send me a paypal invoice when they are ready.
    =)
    ________
    Jeep Hurricane

You should be able to run X442 l&R props then and still stay cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    You should be able to run X442 l&R props then and still stay cool.
    That's the plan. I have dual Aquastar 120's that should make it a good balanced setup. I'm planning on pulling the battery box and re-attaching it with velcro to find the right COG and quite possibly an Eagletree Seagull setup to monitor everything.

Its amazing how much I've picked up about boats here in the past few weeks. Now let's see if I can apply it and make it all work.

With the new cable drives and fresh bearings, it peaked at 40.2 MPH on calm waters. ESC and Motor temps were right at 100F and run times are hovering at 15 or so minutes on dual 25c 5k and 30c 5k 3s packs respectively.
    ________
    Alberto Massimino

were did you get the motor from i can't find them anywhere??????

Quote Originally Posted by netik racing View Post
    were did you get the motor from i can't find them anywhere??????
    Search "SeaMonster" and match the amps/Kv to your ESC's.

Here's an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BL2845-KV2700-Wa...ht_3185wt_1137
    ________
    Toyota 3S-Gte Engine
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Some updates...

With the 36mm props, it loses ~8mph. The high RPM low torque setup prefers the 32mm props. Typically 53 mph on the smaller props...

She goes, but sucks at turning compared to my other cats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

FYI- these motors are back in stock at HK. The stock photo is inaccurate;

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5146

Not much for torque, but they have done well on 3/4s with smaller props.

They have the 19mm and 15mm bolt patterns.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

where did you get those blue lipo 4s 40K 30C packs?
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    where did you get those blue lipo 4s 40K 30C packs?
    www.hobbypartz.com

Not sure I'm sold on them though. I prefer the Turnigy and am liking the new Nano-Tech packs.

The blue lipos have all "puffed" a bit, same with the Zippy Flightmax batteries.

puff is not good in the lipo world at all...be careful!!!

Default EKOS motor upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    It's an almost bolt in job.

Two Turnigy 120A ESC's & Two HXT 36-56 2700kv Inrunners

The 540 sized motor comes with two different bolt patterns. Which allows for installtion in both 540 and 380 mounts. Leaving the EKOS mounts in-tact.

Modify the coupler for the 5mm shaft, shorten the drives about 6-8mm and it's a runner!
    So does that setup run okay on 4s? I am all stock except I have 85 cont, 135 peak esc's to each motor. Can stock motors run on 4s? My other cat is 55mph+, makes my EKOS a little boring. Have you done anything further since ur last setup? I want to increase speed, but not crazy to where I sacrifice reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcracken View Post
    So does that setup run okay on 4s? I am all stock except I have 85 cont, 135 peak esc's to each motor. Can stock motors run on 4s? My other cat is 55mph+, makes my EKOS a little boring. Have you done anything further since ur last setup? I want to increase speed, but not crazy to where I sacrifice reliability.
    The stock motors fry on 4s. It's been proven with little exception. The stockers fry on 3s too...

My EKOS pulls ~53 amps peak/side on the tell tale amp meter after a run. The only issue is the bearings don't last long at that RPM.

I have mine for sale cheap if you're interested. I'll split it up if you want it. $200 shipped, less radio. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=17625

Never did find any good motor mounts for the EKOS. So... I had some made with 25mm spacing for 540 sized motors. Can run any of the 36mm canned L-XL series motors or 3126 series outrunners. I call them TwinCat Medium Motor Mounts

Literally, just grind out the stock mounts and epoxy the new ones in place.

very nice man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

How is that fiberglass piece attached to the aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    How is that fiberglass piece attached to the aluminum?
    There's two countersunk M3 TSHCS's underneath that hold it together.

Id use green or red locktite on those screws.They are nice mounts,but they are similar to EKOS mounts in that they bolt together in the same fashion.I had the 2 screws in the one of the EKOS mounts back out and had to cut the mount out for the 3rd time.I was using blue locktite.I switched to green and they havent budged yet.

Yeah, I recommend using loctite red. It's worked well thus far. Green would be good too! I should add that info.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Id use green or red locktite on those screws.They are nice mounts,but they are similar to EKOS mounts in that they bolt together in the same fashion.I had the 2 screws in the one of the EKOS mounts back out and had to cut the mount out for the 3rd time.I was using blue locktite.I switched to green and they havent budged yet.
    Weird, I've never had an issue with mine. OOPS! shouldn't have said anything. Now they will come loose for sure.

Weird, I've never had an issue with mine. OOPS! shouldn't have said anything. Now they will come loose for sure.
    Ha ha.Get the dremel ready.

That's because you have this weird magic like luck with with the VenKOS.

He he.

BTW- Now that I know what I know, I don't carry the animosity I once had two-ard des kompaneeez.

Here is my set-up of the similar boat.

6s voltage speed with 1/2 throttle reach over 100 km/h.

Prop 38/1,5/3 RL. I recommend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnwKCiPF48

Nice clean setup! Are those the 1800kv versions of the typhoon outrunner?

yes they are.

Did you mod the mount for those???

Please show us a few close ups of your clear plastic hatch cover. I have been considering something like that for my EKOS. Does the stock canopy fit over it? How thick is it?
    Any details you can provide would be great.
    Thank you
    Boomer

Motormounts are not modified, but to them have added water cooling. Engines have been made to the fitting plate, so that they may be attached to 19 mm motormount.

The clear plastic is 2.5 mm polycarbonate. I have taped the clear plastic and then the original canopy and it fits well, the canopy leaves just few millimetres up from edge.

Nice! That will help prevent sinking in event of a window blowout. It's happened before when the hull submarines into a wave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast