Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAL BAD DAY!! Tactic 2.4ghz Radio Contact Loss!!

Default REAL BAD DAY!! Tactic 2.4ghz Radio Contact Loss!!

Well, this video isn't pretty. My hydro became a submarine....note the huge plume of water bubbling up! Not sure what the cause is at this point. Seems that I hooked and dove in. When I tried to restart, she went under and I lost complete radio contact. Sure enough, it continued at FULL throttle straight down. For some reason my flexshaft broke into TWO!! and the stuffing tube was mutilated.

1. Anyone had this happen with 2.4ghz?? Not sure how well these radios work once you are under water!

2. My stuffing tube is a MESS. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks guys.

Video of the incident (amazingly, the wife was videoing.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_GxJpS8COI

water + receiver = bound for failure.

Get some DP270 and waterproof the next one.
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

The receiver (as well as the rest of the inside) was BONE DRY. Not a single drop of water. This pickle hull seals very well.

sorry, read your post wrong I thought she got wet. I have heard of a couple of issues with those tactic radios.. maybe it doesn't get very good signal under water?
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Shoot howdy, I have 2 Tactic 2.4 Gig setups. Are you sure the radio drove it down? Hard to see what happened by the vid but it sure looked like it was running good

Once she got a little under, the radio gave up and I lost control. It's almost like the signal couldn't penetrate beneath the surface. Went to full throttle and headed further under. I have several of the tactic radios as well and I agree....they have all been fine until this incident.

What speed control?

All the electronics are stock UL-1 (ESC, motor, etc...)

I ask because generally the speed control should cut the throttle if signal is lost.

Good point Rumdog. I wonder why it continued at full throttle. Maybe it's a radio problem. Could the Aluminum boat I was in have anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I ask because generally the speed control should cut the throttle if signal is lost.
    I haven't tested the UL-1 control but I know that the Castle Hydra controls will hold their last command for approx. six seconds when there is a signal loss.

Six seconds is a Looooooooooooong time.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Wow! I never would have thought that!

I'd better test my esc's, stat!

I will give it a test tomorrow. I would hope that it returns to neutral if the signal is lost.

[QUOTE=Shooter;177407]

2. My stuffing tube is a MESS. Any ideas on how to remove it?

QUOTE]

Is that a Vac-U-pickle, is the stuffing tube epoxied in?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Wow! I never would have thought that!
    I learned that the hard way. Don't ask.

I just tested a UL-1 control (older one). It seems they hold their last command for approx two seconds. Still a fair amount of time to be diving with that setup.

Trini stuffed his Vac-U-Pickle with a SV setup during a heat race and was down for two laps. The boat finally surfaced and he was able to finsh the race.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 04-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I ha some issues with low batteries in the Tx... not under water though, not sure how it would react if I had low batteries and she would go under....
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

I had what I thought was an issue with the tactic receiver in my Gecko. It would occasionally stuff and go under, when it would surface it would run wide open until I could disconnect the battery. This was on a brushed esc/motor. I discovered however that it wasn't the receiver at all but the esc. When I ran it on 9.9v or lower batt it was fine, but on 11.1v lipo it run fine for a few minutes and then take off. Since changing back to brushless I've not had any problems so I'm sure that it was the esc and not the tactic rx. All items were also waterproofed.

Hi read this post I am not a fan of cheap radios.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=13926

2.4ghz signles don't penetrate water(which makes them worthless for submarines. the tactic with no external antenna in a typical mounting location(low in the hull) would be more prone to loss of signal than those units w/ an antenna.
    Still waiting for my boat to come in.it came in

i have had 0 issues with my tactic in over 10 different boats.

This is not just a cheap 2.4 radio problem. Same thing happened to me with a Futaba FAAST system and Castle mini Sidewinder ESC. That is of course before I realized (or read) the system has a built in fail safe. I would suggest a fail safe for all 2.4 systems. You never know when you might"submarine" your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    I haven't tested the UL-1 control but I know that the Castle Hydra controls will hold their last command for approx. six seconds when there is a signal loss.

Six seconds is a Looooooooooooong time.
    This is one of the main reasons why I don't run the Hydras. Great controllers, but doesn't set well with me, especially at higher speeds with no control as you watch your model approach the shore.

I haven't had an issue with my FM system. Sure I don't have the range as 2.4, but I'm also not watching a spec in the distance. As with anything else, I think it's a matter of understanding and accepting the risks, regardless of the circumstances.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

My son was using a 2.4 Spektrum yesterday with his 24" boat and huge waves. He spent more time under water that above it. The only loss of signal we found was when water got in the hull and the esc was wet. We dried it all out and went back to running. Now I'm not arguing the fact that 2.4 doesn't work under water(thats very good to know!! Thanks). But we never seemed to ever seemed to lose contact.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Man, comments from the wife are precious..."um, it looks like its maybe under water..." Was she kinda giggling too?

great clip, hope all worked out.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

The comment at the end is truly great Jesse. It makes you want to just look at your loving wife, and shake your head.

Where was the panic swearing that surely would have followed if that happened to me? I am going to install a tactic in my fastech this spring, I hope I don't have any issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
    Where was the panic swearing that surely would have followed if that happened to me?
    Here here!! I even turned on my sound and watched it again, expecting some comment... maybe the cursing was silenced knowing the film was rolling.

You should be fine, the Fastech likes to flip around, but has too much flotation (I hope) to stay under - plus the hydrodynamics of the bow of a vee.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Ha Ha!!! Maybe if you guys are good, I'll post the "un-edited" version!!

I tested it tonight. Sure enough....as soon as I turned off the TX, it stayed at the speed it was at....INDEFINITELY!! Before I go bashing tactic, I have to admit, this is one of the OLDER tactics. It's a 4 channel TR-424 with "SLT" technology receiver.

I tried the test again with the original UL-1 radio (tactic TR-324 receiver and TTX240 radio). It went right to NEUTRAL when I shut the radio off. GOOD NEWS for all the UL-1 guys!

Both tests were conducted at about 30ft range and repeated 5x each with the same results.

I'm interested in some of the reports with the "2 seconds until neutral", etc... Maybe a different level RX and TX??

RexR is absolutely right. I did some research and subs cannot use 2.4ghz! It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it went to neutral though. I am definitely switching to the ORIGINAL UL-1 tactic 2ch radio.

Doug - YES it's a Vacupickle! Here's a couple shots of Miss D during her better days! It was one of my better builds. I still can't figure out why the brass tube is flared out and the teflon is mangled. As you can see, it's epoxied and glassed into place. The only thing I can think of is maybe it hit bottom (it was shallow there) and all the prop thrust compressed the flexshaft until it gave loose. Broke right in two!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dont worry about runaways anymore since i switched to Hytecs Synth recievers. You program in your fail safe position on throttle and rudder and if there is a loss it will automaticly go to that position. It works fantastic. I have tested at full throttle and shut the radio off and it just stops dead in the water.

I don't know on the radio end but one thing I do have a clue on is the rowboat. I have found with even my spektrum that range is decreased to about 100ft. when I am setting in my alum. rowboat. When I stand on the dock I can pretty much drive as far as I can see the front to back. I have also noticed the throttle sticking for about a half second when I push my range limits in the boat. Sounds strange and I dont know if its the boat or just setting so low to the water but there is certainly something there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast