Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Chargers

Default Battery Chargers

This is why when some one asks about different battery chargers I always tell them if you can afford to spend a little more go for the bigger charger. When I first got into lipos it was for my r/c cars a BC-6 50 watt and I only charged one pack at a time
    2S1P 7.4 3800 35c no problem set charger to 5 amps and walked away 30 mins or so later all charged up but I also noticed that the amps would always drop down to 3 to 4 amps didn't bother me but when I got my boat and needed to charge 6 packs to go out to the lake that charger took over an hour to charge just two.
    so i bought a new charger this time a Turnigy Accucell 8150 It's 150w when set at 5 amps it stays there and it can charge 4 packs in about the same time it takes to charge two with the BC-6 at 50w the $60 I spent on it wasn't a waste but I wish I had got the bigger one from the start
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now think what you can do with 350 watts? :)

What rate do you charge you batteries at? I have two Turny 2S 5000amh 20c batteries but read somewhere not to charge at more than 2amps?

I have a cheap charger it takes forever to charge but used a buddies nice one and it still took several hours to charge the batteries.

Lipos can be safely charged at 1C,,,,meaning 5 amps for a 5000mah pack. Some packs can even be charged at a higher current as well.

I recently got a Hyperion Duo and can charge 2-4S/5000 and 2-2S/5000 lipos in less time than it took me to charge 1-2S/5000 on my old charger.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I charge all my packs at 5 amps. Only the 150w charger stays at that rate the other one goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I recently got a Hyperion Duo and can charge 2-4S/5000 and 2-2S/5000 lipos in less time than it took me to charge 1-2S/5000 on my old charger.
    I'm new to electric RC and am no expert, but I have the Bantam charge. I seem to remember that the dropping amps is a setting- it's supposed to be better for the batteries to top of slowly at the end? I think it was in the difference b/t auto mode and manual.

[

I'm new to electric RC and am no expert, but I have the Bantam charge. I seem to remember that the dropping amps is a setting- it's supposed to be better for the batteries to top off slowly at the end? I think it was in the difference b/t auto mode and manual.

Hey Wiz,
    This is in reference to the Turnigy charger you have pictured:
    Does that charger plug in to a DC converter & then the wall outlet?
    Or directly in to the wall.
    Thanks for the info:)

Glenn

I struggled for a long time on what charger to buy. I sucked it up and purchased the hyperion duo with an ac power supply that can make 350watts and am a very happy boater... I can charge 2 lipos in about 30min... Time is money...

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by ggcrna@hotmail.com View Post
    Hey Wiz,
    This is in reference to the Turnigy charger you have pictured:
    Does that charger plug in to a DC converter & then the wall outlet?
    Or directly in to the wall.
    Thanks for the info:)

Glenn
    That is a dc charger I have a 32 amp power supply I've had for a long time so you will need one if you get a charger like this most chargers that come with there own I find don't make enough power unless you buy a very good one. I would stick with getting your own power supply when it comes to chargers and power supply's bigger is better spend a little more now and you won't go wrong I've had that power supply for 10 yrs and it still works great it was only $89 then now $169

Thanks for the info Wiz.
    I appreciate it.

wizard,
    i just bought the turnigy 8150. i am new to this lipo thing. i have 4 2s 20c 5000mah turnigy lipos. how would i wire up the power supply to a wall outlet. also the charger doesn't have a connector for the 2s batteries. how did you hook them up? an adapter? sorry total newb to this stuff. i was going to return it to hobby king and get a simpler one but if i can just pick up an adapter that could work. also is the 32 amp power supply really necessary? seems kind of over kill? would this power supply or something similiar work?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6879

Quote Originally Posted by onegreenray View Post
    wizard,
    i just bought the turnigy 8150. i am new to this lipo thing. i have 4 2s 20c 5000mah turnigy lipos. how would i wire up the power supply to a wall outlet. also the charger doesn't have a connector for the 2s batteries. how did you hook them up? an adapter? sorry total newb to this stuff. i was going to return it to hobby king and get a simpler one but if i can just pick up an adapter that could work. also is the 32 amp power supply really necessary? seems kind of over kill? would this power supply or something similiar work?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6879
    Yes that power supply should work great as for the balancer you will need something like this
    http://www.helidirect.com/bantam-mul...dp-p-13206.hdx

You will have to remove the out side black wire to plug it into your 6S port and be carefull to follow the set up that I posted about the charger set up you can short things out very easy if you hook it up wrong

It won't charge multable packs

why do you need to remove the black wire on that balancing plug?

Wink You need to do this!

It wont plug into that charger. That wire isn't doing anything when you remove it the adapter becomes universal they put it there so it will only fit the BC-8 chargers

ok now is see what you are talking about thank you for the pictures. i'll order that tonight.

stupid question. why do i have to cut the balancer plug to fit into the 6 cell port when it fits into the 8 cell port?

also can i do the series hook up you did with deans connectors. not looking to spend all day re soldering all my battery's.

I have the venom pro charger with balance block. Is there a way to charge more than one battery. Why do my 3s venoms charge at max 4amps but my 4s must be set no more than 3.2 amps at 3200mah charges in like 30 min. Yet my 3s 4000mah take almost 50 minutes. It's a great and safe charger. Since it comes with a processor for safe charging.

Thumbs up 6S Port

stupid question. why do i have to cut the balancer plug to fit into the 6 cell port when it fits into the 8 cell port?

also can i do the series hook up you did with deans connectors. not looking to spend all day re soldering all my battery's.
    This is just the way I feel is safe. If you use the 8s port and forget to plug it in right you could short everything out and damage something I never tried it that way and I wouldn't want to take a chance if you have ever seen a lipo pack short out its not fun they go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! I charge all my packs this way and charge them at 5AMPS no problem. If you are going to use Deans plugs you will have to make something like this. Remember to mark it 1 and 2 or you will short things out too. Just make a copy of this adapter and it should work fine.

Smile Yes

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    I have the venom pro charger with balance block. Is there a way to charge more than one battery. Why do my 3s venoms charge at max 4amps but my 4s must be set no more than 3.2 amps at 3200mah charges in like 30 min. Yet my 3s 4000mah take almost 50 minutes. It's a great and safe charger. Since it comes with a processor for safe charging.
    You should be able to use the same adapter that I recommended and follow the same steps.

Ok i kind of figured that connector would work in a ruff sketch. just am still real new to wiring things in series..lol. with this stuff ya it goes boom if you make a mistake.

which wire should i remove since the one i got from heli direct has slightly different color scene on the wires. the one on the positive or negative side of the balancer plug?

thank you again

Smile Don't cut

Ok i kind of figured that connector would work in a ruff sketch. just am still real new to wiring things in series..lol. with this stuff ya it goes boom if you make a mistake.

which wire should i remove since the one i got from heli direct has slightly different color scene on the wires. the one on the positive or negative side of the balancer plug?

thank you again

That one is newer than mine don't cut any wire it will plug into the 8S port just make sure black wire is the right side sorry if I steered you wrong. I'm glad to see that you got it so fast. You will have to remove the locking tab on top of the connector to make it fit. let me know how you make out OK Wiz

Smile More Photos

Here is the set up I use Please follow carefully ok.

thank you wizard. i will break out the soldering gun tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

thank you for the pictures. i am just waiting on the power supply and a water jacket for the motor then i can test it.

thank you wizard. i will break out the soldering gun tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

thank you for the pictures.
    Cool glad to help have a happy 4th

you to wiz

Wiz,
    Those photos are great. Where did you got the fat shrink wrap to fit around the Deans connectors on the adaptor you have pictured? Can I get it @ Home Depot or Pep Boys?

Thanks,
    Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast