Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have anything bad to say about the Turnigy 180 Controller?

Wow thanks! I was wondering what the exposed tab was for on the left side of the ESC board was for. I found a great pic of the EZ run with a on/off switch if anyone else is interested. The middle jumper apparently powers an optional fan. Right jumper is the rx leads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Default 180 Issue

Just thought I would add this. I ran a 180 at 135Amps on 6s and it did not get hot. After the first run I changed to a smaller prop to draw 90Amps. I plugged everything in and it was fine. Put the boat in the water and hit the throttle - nothing - no servo no throttle.

I have since done a bunch of trouble shooting including eliminating the BEC from the circuit and the ESC still does not work. It beeps every 2 seconds when I plug it in but it will not arm.

I am just about ready to send it back...unless someone here can help...

Mars

Default esc

Did you accidentally adjust the throttle trim... If it doesn't read that its at neutral throttle the esc won't arm.... If all else fails start over with programing the esc to your radio.... before programming to your radio make sure throttle trim is centered....

Default Program card will not work...

Thanks JMSCard - I just tried to plug the ESC into the program card and the card gets no power. I plugged the ESC into the card and used a separate power source (6V battery) and the program card still does not come on...

It is so frustrating knowing that the ESC is in there somewhere as it understands that it is not getting a good throttle reading but it will not react to anything...

Mars

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    Did you accidentally adjust the throttle trim... If it doesn't read that its at neutral throttle the esc won't arm.... If all else fails start over with programing the esc to your radio.... before programming to your radio make sure throttle trim is centered....

I am responding on my iPhone or I would get the "manual" program instructions for you.... Do u still have the instructions that came with the turnigy? Try using those instructions as maybe your program box is smoked... I think u connect the battery with full throttle applied to enter program mode.... Anyhow try the manual programming....

Also make sure u r putting the rec battery in the right input of the program box as both that and the esc input are the same size.... Just making sure you r trying everything....

Default Card plug Correct

I am sure I put the esc and battery plug into the proper slots on the card. I tried to enter program mode on the esc but it just beeps as it always does. Keep the ideas coming as I want to try everything before I wait for who knows how long for another esc.

As a last ditch effort I am going to try a different rx...

Mars

I am responding on my iPhone or I would get the "manual" program instructions for you.... Do u still have the instructions that came with the turnigy? Try using those instructions as maybe your program box is smoked... I think u connect the battery with full throttle applied to enter program mode.... Anyhow try the manual programming....

Also make sure u r putting the rec battery in the right input of the program box as both that and the esc input are the same size.... Just making sure you r trying everything....

If you plugged in the esc and a rx battery to the prog box without removing the red wire, it's prob toast. The box, that is.

Also be sure you didnt run another model etc w/ the TX and put the throttle back to normal. It must be reverse for the Turnigys to work.... and I cant think of anything else obvious right now....

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Also be sure you didnt run another model etc w/ the TX and put the throttle back to normal. It must be reverse for the Turnigys to work.... and I cant think of anything else obvious right now....

Isn't that for Futabas only? Mines arms and runs with it on normal with my Tactic and M8.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    Isn't that for Futabas only? Mines arms and runs with it on normal with my Tactic and M8.
    Oh yes.. you are correct. Minor details.....

Default $33 Later...

I sent the ESC back to HC for $33.

I will keep you posted on the status. About 2 years ago I sent a Lipo back to HC and they replaced it. I am hoping for the same treatment here as I never ran this thing outside of its specs.

If they do replace it I will make sure I do not use the BEC but add an rx pack to my boat.

Thanks for all the help,

Mars

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I sent the ESC back to HC for $33.

I will keep you posted on the status. About 2 years ago I sent a Lipo back to HC and they replaced it. I am hoping for the same treatment here as I never ran this thing outside of its specs.

If they do replace it I will make sure I do not use the BEC but add an rx pack to my boat.

Thanks for all the help,

Mars
    I just had mine 120 replaced. Hope it will happen for you with in reasonable time.
    How come shipping is so expensive? cost me $12 for the last item returned and it was large 6 cell lipo. (no express mail though)

How did you send it to get it so cheap!? I got a DOA $50 power supply from HK and it was gonna cost $40 to ship it back. I threw it in the trash!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Default Usps

When I took my ESC to the USPS they said $26 for 7-10 days or $33 for 3 days.

I went with the latter as I have no backup ESC and really want to run my boat soon!

Mars

I just got some more lipos and another monster 200 turnigy from hc..... 7 days after order was in my hands..... Like someone else posted they moved there warehouses and it delayed stuff.... I think I've had 30 transactions with hc.... Not once have I had a bad experience.... I also run my turnigy 180's on 6s just fine..... I run one in my mean machine with a 1515 1.5y on 6s and I'm actually going to run one in my drifter l with a 9xl on 5s and 6s.... The drifter has a hydra 120 I don't want to kill so I'm gonna use my tried and true turnigy 180's.... Great esc....And easy to program even without a program card.... Tho I do have a program card sometimes I forget it at home..... Well I better go back to installing the kayak racks on the suv..... Boating season is here in Vermont:)
    are you guys using the internal bec?
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    When I took my ESC to the USPS they said $26 for 7-10 days or $33 for 3 days.

I went with the latter as I have no backup ESC and really want to run my boat soon!

Mars
    I see, I was really in no rush :) $8 for 2-3 month by sea
    HK is in no rush to ship stuff out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    are you guys using the internal bec?
    I went with an external UBEC for $5 from ebay...
    Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

Default Good Thinking Vasy!

I too will not use the BEC on 6s. I have a bunch of rx packs lying around anyway...

mars

Quote Originally Posted by vasy View Post
    Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

I was using the internal bec on my 180's for awhile.... was using it even on 5s setups..... but after hearing about the bec issues I started using rec. packs..... only issue I ever had with the turnigy 180's is the LVC kicking in wrong... sometimes when I plugged in a fully charged pack it would read it as the wrong "S" pack and would cut off power right after a minute or so.... I generally don't use LVC's though on my esc's because I tend to bring her in the second I notice even a slight bit of less power.... hasn't bit me yet.... and I tend to run my boats for a few minutes and then come in.... still having some capacity left...

Quote Originally Posted by vasy View Post
    A word of caution about external BEC's. I've had two CC BEC's go screwy and put input voltage out into the rx. Poof goes the Rx!! Mr . Fluid has always advocated Rx battery packs & I respect his knowledge. Just a thought.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I have seen external BEC's go screwy on the heli's and let 22 volts shoot through EVERYTHING...total mess and loss. On the flip side I think my CC BEC MIGHT have saved my CC240 controller today. I will know for sure in a few days. I only use the CC bec if I am using 4s or lower. On my 6s boats I only use a receiver battery.
    Team Liquid Dash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12