Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have anything bad to say about the Turnigy 180 Controller?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone have anything bad to say about the Turnigy 180 Controller?

My new cc240 is giving my problems and I will be sending it back to Castle to have them take a look at it. With a three week turnaround, I have to find a replacement till I get the 240 situation sorted out. I can either go back to my trusty old Etti 150 which I used last season or try the Turnigy 180. I like the Etti's allot and have them in my two sons boats, but am looking for a little bit more head room as far as amperage for my Titan 33, 1515 1Y.

You will be waiting 3 weeks for shipping from HK :)
    Goto hobbyhot and get 180a seaking with programming card for the same price as HK and faster shipping.

i had one pop on plugin the other day..it was my first bad experience with them..they have been reliable for me other then that..it does not hurt nearly as much as the 240 going bad
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Quote Originally Posted by vasy View Post
    You will be waiting 3 weeks for shipping from HK :)
    Goto hobbyhot and get 180a seaking with programming card for the same price as HK and faster shipping.
    Where are you getting this info???????

Ive never waited more than 8 days for an order.. from time purchased to the time it hits my front door. Most of the time its 6-7 days.... My recent order got here in 5.

EDIT: And they are more at non member price by 5 bucks.... and almost 20 dollars more at Hobby hot (if you are a HC member)? fastest shipping 15 vs 18 from HC.. HC still a better deal. Unless I missing something?

Ive yet to have any issues w/ any of my Turnigy ESCs. Havent run the 180 yet but will be soon.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 04-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Where are you getting this info???????

Ive never waited more than 8 days for an order.. from time purchased to the time it hits my front door. Most of the time its 6-7 days.... My recent order got here in 5.
    From me and their board.
    I just waited 1,5 weeks for my 1 itme ems order just to be packed.

That Sucks! Hmm, maybe its a difference between BC and USA? I made an order on the 8th of this month and it got here on the 13th. Five days from hitting "add to cart" to hitting my hands.

I've been pretty lucky with Hobby City. Three orders and never took more than 10 days.

BTW- I ordered my CC240 from the Neu website. I ordered it in September and it took them a week to let me know it was out of stock. Finally received it in December. You just never know! Maybe I'll just stick with the Etti and Cap board.
    Last edited by Chilli; 04-18-2010 at 11:54 PM.

I popped a CC 240 LV at the SAWs a while ago. H&M shovel/1515 1Y. $ 150 from CC for out-of-warrantee replacement + out of stock wait. Bought a Turnigy 180 for under $ 100 from HK; 5 days to Cali. Works fine. Cool programming card easy to use - can use at lakeside instead of Castle link/laptop . Nuff said ?
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

all my hobbyking orders come in about 10 days. I have a turnigy 180 that I almost lost. It was submerged for about 4-minutes in a sinking boat, and I blew it out wth compressed air and it works fine!

Nothing bad here. Get one, or several. Shipping via ems from HK has been as fast as 4 days to my house in Michigan.

I have 4 Turnigy Esc with no problems and I have the 200 amp high voltage really large one that I have not tried yet. All deliveries to Vancouver, Canada have taken about 2 to 3 weeks from Hobby King and as Tony mentions the programming cards are very easy to use etc.
    The different delivery times are probably due to our dollar being worth more as the US dollar sinks and they want to get their cash before it falls more

Edit

Also note that these goods have to go through Canadian Customs

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 04-18-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    I have 4 Turnigy Esc with no problems and I have the 200 amp high voltage really large one that I have not tried yet. All deliveries to Vancouver, Canada have taken about 2 to 3 weeks from Hobby King and as Tony mentions the programming cards are very easy to use etc.
    The different delivery times are probably due to our dollar being worth more as the US dollar sinks and they want to get their cash before it falls more

Edit

Also note that these goods have to go through Canadian Customs

Douggie
    Douggie, Wazzup with Canadian customs ? Or is the problem US customs ? I ordered a tiny heli part that can be mailed in a standard sized envelope. Supposedly shipped from Canada April first and still not here.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony, Canadian customs are s..l..o..w to process items into Canada. An item shipped from Canada would be held up US Customs and if the paperwork is not correct it can take a long time. Also if the item was not shipped via air mail it will take about 2 to 3 weeks to California

Douggie

Hc has moved to another warehouse. Just before that they had their new year holiday. That's maybe why the delay. My latest order took a week to ship. All other shipments usually reach Hawaii in three to four days. I will be trying out one of these also in my Rico mono.

Well I ordered a 180 today, along with a programmer and pair of 40c 4S 5000's.

Anyone add extra caps to their 180's?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Well I ordered a 180 today, along with a programmer and pair of 40c 4S 5000's.

Anyone add extra caps to their 180's?
    The speedy comes with some healthy looking caps onboard so I didn't bother with them. I did add a fan ; mostly because Brad gave me a few and this one just fit on top perfectly even though there's so little airspace in the H&M. You may find that the cooling lines from your CC 240 need to be re-done since the 180 lines exit at 90 degrees from the motor & battery wires- no real biggie I'm sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    The speedy comes with some healthy looking caps onboard so I didn't bother with them. I did add a fan ; mostly because Brad gave me a few and this one just fit on top perfectly even though there's so little airspace in the H&M. You may find that the cooling lines from your CC 240 need to be re-done since the 180 lines exit at 90 degrees from the motor & battery wires- no real biggie I'm sure.
    Tony,
    Glad you could make use of some of those fans. A little extra cooling never hurts, even with limited airspace.
    Have a good one......
    Brad

Thanks Tony. I definitley have a bit more space in the Titan 33 than your hydro. LOL

Can't wait to give it a spin.
    Last edited by Chilli; 04-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.

I hope they are a good ESC, i will be using mine in a 37.5" Mono hull with a Feigao 580 9l motor and 2x 22.2v lipos 6s in parallel, i hope it will handle it.

Here is a question, which esc will handle a Neu 1527 1Y motor on 6s better, the Turnigy 180 or the Swordfish 240HV?
    Team Liquid Dash

I would not apply 6S voltage to the Turnigy 180. That is just my 2 cents as I prefer to err on the side of caution and I hate the smell of a toasted ESC

Douggie

The 240 hv probably. I have both. Haven't run the swordfish though. I am a firm believer in not running an esc or anything for that matter to the max rated specs. It's just asking for trouble. I have run 5s on the seaking in many setups with a rx pack without fail and low temps. I'll be using the swordfish in a 1/8 scale hydro with littlescreamers outrunner. My cat has twin 1515 1y's, seaking 180's and 5s 1p for each power plant. the seakings run flawlessly in that setup.

I just got some more lipos and another monster 200 turnigy from hc..... 7 days after order was in my hands..... Like someone else posted they moved there warehouses and it delayed stuff.... I think I've had 30 transactions with hc.... Not once have I had a bad experience.... I also run my turnigy 180's on 6s just fine..... I run one in my mean machine with a 1515 1.5y on 6s and I'm actually going to run one in my drifter l with a 9xl on 5s and 6s.... The drifter has a hydra 120 I don't want to kill so I'm gonna use my tried and true turnigy 180's.... Great esc....And easy to program even without a program card.... Tho I do have a program card sometimes I forget it at home..... Well I better go back to installing the kayak racks on the suv..... Boating season is here in Vermont:)

James, just got me a kayak and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    I just got some more lipos and another monster 200 turnigy from hc..... 7 days after order was in my hands..... Like someone else posted they moved there warehouses and it delayed stuff.... I think I've had 30 transactions with hc.... Not once have I had a bad experience.... I also run my turnigy 180's on 6s just fine..... I run one in my mean machine with a 1515 1.5y on 6s and I'm actually going to run one in my drifter l with a 9xl on 5s and 6s.... The drifter has a hydra 120 I don't want to kill so I'm gonna use my tried and true turnigy 180's.... Great esc....And easy to program even without a program card.... Tho I do have a program card sometimes I forget it at home..... Well I better go back to installing the kayak racks on the suv..... Boating season is here in Vermont:)
    are you guys using the internal bec?
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    are you guys using the internal bec?
    I went with an external UBEC for $5 from ebay...
    Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

Default Good Thinking Vasy!

I too will not use the BEC on 6s. I have a bunch of rx packs lying around anyway...

mars

Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

I was using the internal bec on my 180's for awhile.... was using it even on 5s setups..... but after hearing about the bec issues I started using rec. packs..... only issue I ever had with the turnigy 180's is the LVC kicking in wrong... sometimes when I plugged in a fully charged pack it would read it as the wrong "S" pack and would cut off power right after a minute or so.... I generally don't use LVC's though on my esc's because I tend to bring her in the second I notice even a slight bit of less power.... hasn't bit me yet.... and I tend to run my boats for a few minutes and then come in.... still having some capacity left...

A word of caution about external BEC's. I've had two CC BEC's go screwy and put input voltage out into the rx. Poof goes the Rx!! Mr . Fluid has always advocated Rx battery packs & I respect his knowledge. Just a thought.

Does anyone know whether or not the Turnigy 180A features a thermal shutdown?

Thanks.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast