Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade motors for King of Shaves

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    Thanx for the update Forescott! Yes that IS fast for 3s.
    How was the torque? did it launch "snappier', did it hold its speed in the corners?
    Definetly feels torquier. Not sure about the cornering ability. I take the corners like my grandmother in her 1968 mercury cougar. Slow and easy!

Ok boys, back to the project at hand, what I've done here is a procedure I call "carpeting"

After removing the battery tray, and all of its epoxy residue, i wiped the glass center pod down with solvent to get a clean mating surface, then carpeted the whole belly pan with velcro.

I like going this route at first to give me versatility in component placement for CG.
    By carpeting, are you using the loop side of the velcro? I get so much "loop lint" when I do it that way. Mix it with a bit of shaft grease and bilge water and it can get nasty. I've started using the hook side on the boat and putting the loop on the devices. Just curious which way it's going in and why. The "carpeted" loop side does help soak up any water inside though. =)
    ________
    AROMED VAPORIZER
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminR View Post
    By carpeting, are you using the loop side of the velcro? I get so much "loop lint" when I do it that way. Mix it with a bit of shaft grease and bilge water and it can get nasty. I've started using the hook side on the boat and putting the loop on the devices. Just curious which way it's going in and why. The "carpeted" loop side does help soak up any water inside though. =)
    Hey Benjamin, I'm trying to upload pics but it wont let me, I use the hook side in the boat and the "fuzzy" side on devices. Yes the fuzzy soaks a little water, but will also retain water in the hull..

It dosen't make a huge difference more one of prefference..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Speedos

Turns out the box that came from Novak was speedos..
    2 newer series GTB speedos.

The new ones have a clear case. I love clear cases..

I want to try to get away with placing the speedos here..

Hey Benjamin, I'm trying to upload pics but it wont let me, I use the hook side in the boat and the "fuzzy" side on devices. Yes the fuzzy soaks a little water, but will also retain water in the hull..

It dosen't make a huge difference more one of preference..
    Nice.
    ________
    Mazda 929 history
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Turns out the box that came from Novak was speedos..
    2 newer series GTB speedos.

The new ones have a clear case. I love clear cases..

I want to try to get away with placing the speedos here..
    Where are you gonna put the batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Where are you gonna put the batteries?

Great question sir, I'm going to try and get away with running them in the sponsons just ahead of the motors.

I idealy run cats that way, it keeps the weight low in the hull, the batteries benefit from the modest cooling, and it seems an all around more stable way to run a cat.

Next, I'll "carpet" the sponsons..

Only problem is, that puts your c.o.g. waaaay forward. It'll be hard to get optimum speed/handling. Worth a try! At least the ekos would lose some of its top-heaviness.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Only problem is, that puts your c.o.g. waaaay forward. It'll be hard to get optimum speed/handling. Worth a try! At least the ekos would lose some of its top-heaviness.
    I agree, but I'm putting a considerable amount more power. Its basicly a SAW setup, it may work or may not but I'm willing to bet the boat will want a little more weight in the front than with the stock setup..

Its kinda like when we used to run N-1 and N-2 mono with 21 inch hulls and brushed motors, the N-1 setup runs the battery WAY back, then the N-2 setup had the battery way farther forward..

I see the stock setup as very low torque like an N-1 setup but its all yet to be seen.
    Your concern is definitely a valid one..

Default The beat goes on..

OK felloe skippers, I carpeted the inside of the sponsons for battery or speedo placement, whatever this boat lets us get away with..

This morning I got up and decided to make a custom 'Y" harness of Novak plugs since using a conventional y harness will make for too many plugs.

1) I cut 3 leads to equal length

2) Slid shrink wrap over the main input first one big one, then 3 tiny ones to cover each wire

3) Next I pre-tinned the wires.

4) Now its time to solder them together.

5) Next solder the 2 leads together coded by color

6) Now its time to solder the 2 output leads to the input lead color coding the wires again

7) Now you want to shrink the 3 individual leads

8) Slide the larger shrink over the 3 leads and shrink and shrink

Now you've done it pal! you're the man! You wired up a custom harness!

Default Putting Out

Well well well look what we have here..

I found a set of gems that will make this upgrade VERY EEnteresting..
    Check out these 4mm shafts I found in my ETTI box!

One has an aluminum prop nut, and is of high quality steel, and the other has a 1/8 inch step down!!

Yes, I do have 2 of each as well lol

The 1/8 inch step down opens MANY doors to an assortment of octura props, and will allow me to experiment with some high KV options.

I'm brave enough to try a set of Novak Ballistic 3.5 motors in the sucker!

Rumor has it that Boca Bearings is sending a set of rubber seal ceramic bearings to hold whatever power we throw at this project..

Default Uh Oh..

Look what have we here.. Two sets of top quality orange rubber seal ceramic bearings came in the mail from Boca Bearings.

Guys, these are ABEC 7 bearings..
    Thanx Boca!!

Look what have we here.. Two sets of top quality orange rubber seal ceramic bearings came in the mail from Boca Bearings.

Guys, these are ABEC 7 bearings..
    Thanx Boca!!
    Bill, what do you think of the Ceramic Ultra Seal bearings?
    ________
    Jugalettes
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    Bill, what do you think of the Ceramic Ultra Seal bearings?
    I'm not gonna' lie to ya' pal, Boca almost dropped me as a driver because I wasn't using enough product wanna' know why?

Because none of my bearings will fail, gum up, rust out, get "gritty" or end up with play in them.

I ordered a batch and haven't needed to replace any and that was the yellow seal bearings!

These orange seal are kicking out the same relentless reliability, only smoother if you can believe it. This is no "fluffing" or product promotion just the facts.

Read any testimony on these bearings, I haven't but I'm sure its mostly positive..

Bill, I meant the Boca Ultra-Seal Ceramics! The Boca rep said they were better than the orange seal, so am curious if you have tried them.
    ________
    New Jersey Dispensary
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Bill, I meant the Boca Ultra-Seal Ceramics! The Boca rep said they were better than the orange seal, so am curious if you have tried them.
    Sorry bud, I haven't tried those yet, but I DO recommend rubber shielded bearings for marine apps even the fishing guys stay with rubber

I bet they fly though from what I've heard..

Sorry bud, I haven't tried those yet, but I DO recommend rubber shielded bearings for marine apps even the fishing guys stay with rubber

I bet they fly though from what I've heard..
    Since I run in salt water, I wanted to make sure I had a good sealed bearing. The ultra seal bearings are steel over rubber and supposed to have a much "better" seal if you can imagine. I've heard nothing but good about Boca Bearings! =)
    ________
    Yamaha Yz125 Specifications
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Since I run in salt water, I wanted to make sure I had a good sealed bearing. The ultra seal bearings are steel over rubber and supposed to have a much "better" seal if you can imagine. I've heard nothing but good about Boca Bearings! =)
    Sounds about right!

Regardless, with this much power and high CG, the boat will handle like *!***!***!***!**. I've been running mine on 5S with 540's and flipped it numerous times, even with the CG as low as I could get it. This boat is basically only good for SAW runs after any amount of extra weight has been added..
    The RTR Nightmare- Electric King of Shaves
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

Default Strut removal

Ok boys we're gonna' start this strut upgrade and first we will remove the strut from the transom..

figure 2 shows how the transom looks with the strut removed.

The strut is a nice CNC machined unit of high quality.
    Last edited by BILL OXIDEAN; 05-30-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Default Bearing Removal

Ok fellas, now we've gotta' remove these bearings. When recessed in aluminum, I like to heat whatever the bearings are pressed in for easu removal.

I prefer to use a soldering iron for this procedure.

Default Press

Next we want to press the bearings out. using a large diameter diver, I press the bearings out from the inside starting with the rear output bearing then the front.

Using a large diameter driver assures you don't damage the bearings in the process..

Default Spacer

Now that I've got the bearings out, I noticed this teflon spacer.
    A trip to Franciscan hobbies in the morning will yield us a piece of brass tubing for a pro setup.. See you cats manyana..

Default Clean work

Before installing anything, I first sprayed out any existing grease with electric motor spray
    Last edited by BILL OXIDEAN; 05-30-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Default Heavy metal!

Stemming from being an 80's heavy metaller I prefer metal spacers

I went ahead and picked up some K&S aluminum tubing stock#104 3/16x.014

With my tubing cutter I cut and de-burred 2 7/8 inch pieces after measuring the distance between the bearings front and rear.

Default Re-Install

Ok, now its time to press the bearings.
    Starting with the front bearing, using a large diameter philips screwdriver, I pressed the bearing in.

Next I inserted the spacer, then pressed the rear bearing in and voilla! You've got an Oxidean style Boca Bearing upgraded strut!

Ok, now its time to press the bearings.
    Starting with the front bearing, using a large diameter philips screwdriver, I pressed the bearing in.

Next I inserted the spacer, then pressed the rear bearing in and voilla! You've got an Oxidean style Boca Bearing upgraded strut!
    viola

Did you cross drill any holes in the spacer tube? I've seen that before, not sure of the purpose other than to help with lubrication of the hard prop shaft.

Curious to hear a racer's take on it.
    ________
    Michigan marijuana dispensary
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.

viola

Did you cross drill any holes in the spacer tube? I've seen that before, not sure of the purpose other than to help with lubrication of the hard prop shaft.

Curious to hear a racer's take on it.
    In the old days when guys made scratch built struts, they used a piece of brass tubing as part of a bushing. The grooves reduced friction, but My method is well lubed and the spacer is frictionless. It spins with the rotating assembly.

Good question!

Is the spacer really necessary? I took mine out when one of the bearings came loose. I didnt see how it really did anything.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast