Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UL1 test with Hydra 240/ 1515 1y

Default UL1 test with Hydra 240/ 1515 Castle/Neu 2200kv motor

did some testing with a castle/ Neu 1515 2200kv & a hydra 240 . Running M 445 / M 447 / M645 & getting speeds ranging from 57 - 65 mph with no heat issues & a peek of 204 amps . i changed the water pick up to behind the prop & as u can see from the graph the temps were all low . This test was to sort out the cooling issues with stock water pick up. Cause Heat = loss of power & my speedy & motor were running way to HOT with the stock set up. Well with my UL1 anyway !!! The speed thing is just an added bonus ..... with the stock water pick up my Temps were double of what you see on the graph....

Temp 1 = Caps
    Temp 2 = Esc
    temp 3 = Motor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoota; 04-17-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Very nice...with data to prove it! Surprised it stayed on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Very nice...with data to prove it! Surprised it stayed on the water.
    Cheers , yer at those speeds its a bit of a hand full , but on glass its fun !!!!! i will say one thing with the weight of that big motor & 6500mah packs over the front i dont have any problems with blow over at speed but it does dance a lot in choppy water & find my self backing off a lot .... the boat weighs 6.5 lbs or for metric people 2.7 kgs with this set up .... I have put an extra 5 coats of gel coat on the bottom of the hull to help with all the extra stresses of the bigger motor & speeds its doing , cause when i first put the 1515 in, it started cracking !!!!! on the under side ..
    Last edited by scoota; 04-17-2010 at 02:25 AM.

I have read a few times now about people having trouble with getting water tubing thru the hull , what i did was use 4 blanking gromets to insert in the 4 holes & pushed some copper tube thru them so changing the water tubing is a lot easier.

i used a piece of the same copper tube as a hole punch to get the right size hole in the gromets before inserting them into the hull !!

Just to keep things straight, am I correct in saying its a Castle 1515 2200kv?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Just to keep things straight, am I correct in saying its a Castle 1515 2200kv?
    Oh, by the way nice job with all the data logging! Thanks
    Steven Vaccaro

One other thing, was it a m465 or a m645?
    Steven Vaccaro

yes a castle/ neu motor 2200kv ,Sorry typing error M645 & more data logging to be posted , that graph was with the M445 prop..... will edit the first post too keep things straight steve to be honest i have neu motors and thought id give the Castle/Neu motor a go and i think it performs just as as well as my Neu motors.. & i will be ordering some more of the castle/ neu motors off you soon for the 33 inch delta force hull im building at present
    Last edited by scoota; 04-16-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Oh can anyone give me a answer on why i poped the caps on the Hyrdra from the readings on the graph ?

Quote Originally Posted by scoota View Post
    yes a castle/ neu motor 2200kv ,Sorry typing error M645 & more data logging to be posted , that graph was with the M445 prop..... will edit the first post too keep things straight steve to be honest i have neu motors and thought id give the Castle/Neu motor a go and i think it performs just as as well as my Neu motors.. & i will be ordering some more of the castle/ neu motors off you soon for the 33 inch delta force hull im building at present
    Thanks, I dont mean to be a pain in the butt with the exacts, just want to keep it straight for new guys that read this.
    Steven Vaccaro

Oh can anyone give me a answer on why i poped the caps on the Hyrdra from the readings on the graph ?
    I can never read the graphs with all the data on it when its posted as a picture. Can you tell us the voltage while at the highest current draw?
    Steven Vaccaro

Too much stop and go driving, or not enough capacitors to help with large voltage drop (solder some extra in line...35v 1500pf), or not enough mah to guard against large voltage drop, or running system too close to LVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I can never read the graphs with all the data on it when its posted as a picture. Can you tell us the voltage while at the highest current draw?
    Top of graph sheet states 13.00 volts minimum. See RED line on chart. It appears ESC hit lowest of 13 volts getting on plane at start of run (lots of hard accelleration and 45mm prop killed it).

I once used a M440 prop with Hydra 120 esc, 1515 1y, in my UL-1 with 4s2p 3300mah lipos and esc lived surprisingly long, but it also died even while using extra caps

Last edited by detox; 04-16-2010 at 07:40 PM.

I agree! The Castle motors ROCK! I've used the 1518 and 1515 and love them. I just finished a twin sprintcat 40 with twin Castle/Neu 1515 1y's. First run timorrow, can't wait!

Awesome speeds out of this hull..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Nice work Scoota! Is that new water pick-up brace plastic? How is it held in place? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Nice work Scoota! Is that new water pick-up brace plastic? How is it held in place? Thanks!
    its a modofied black jack 26 pick up & its held in place by the strut bolt ....

Your water cooling mods are awesome.Im gona do that with my ul1.Thanks for posting that.I had my Hydra120 and 1515/1Y in my ul1 for about 1 run.Too much to handle.Went back home and pulled the motor and esc out to put in a longer hull.It was fast,just too much of a pain to control.

made a new water pick up today using OSE transom pick up & after a solid 2+ minute run with a prather 225 she came back with motor & esc temps even lower than my first test , i had a data log session of the run , but stupid me hit delete button before saving the session . , been running 240 swordfish for a while with this set up & im very impressed so far , im drawing 200 + AMPS & its been running cool & no cap issues . When you take off you can see water being pushed up the pick up straight away at low speeds ....
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

here are some pics of my local Lake in Melbourne Australia it was a pefect day to run Hydros today , & the best thing about our lake its waist deep in the middle of it , so all we need is a set of waders to retrive our boats ..

here are some pics of my local Lake in Melbourne Australia it was a pefect day to run Hydros today , & the best thing about our lake its waist deep in the middle of it , so all we need is a set of waders to retrive our boats ..
    Nice speeds Scoota.
    Where exactly is that lake? I love the waist deep bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    Nice speeds Scoota.
    Where exactly is that lake? I love the waist deep bit.
    Its Cherry Lake in Altona , Melbourne , Paddy ...its a man made lake , the locals told me it use to be a speedway in the 60s , before they filled it with water ...

That place looks nice but aren't there reptiles that eat people in it? Sorry if I'm way off just watched the movie Rogue with a giant croc flipping boats!! Nice UL-1

Quote Originally Posted by v-spec View Post
    That place looks nice but aren't there reptiles that eat people in it? Sorry if I'm way off just watched the movie Rogue with a giant croc flipping boats!! Nice UL-1
    No crocs lol , but the size of some the carp i seen pulled out of there could take a UL1 in one bite LOL....

I have read a few times now about people having trouble with getting water tubing thru the hull , what i did was use 4 blanking gromets to insert in the 4 holes & pushed some copper tube thru them so changing the water tubing is a lot easier.

i used a piece of the same copper tube as a hole punch to get the right size hole in the gromets before inserting them into the hull !!
    a simple answer to getting tube thru the hull is this. all you gotta do is cut about 3 xtra inches of tube, then you cut the excess tube so it's a point, a long drawn out point. now you can feed it thru, pull it thru and cut flush. simple

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I agree! The Castle motors ROCK! I've used the 1518 and 1515 and love them. I just finished a twin sprintcat 40 with twin Castle/Neu 1515 1y's. First run timorrow, can't wait!
    Its gotta fly!When can you post a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Nevermind.Just noticed it was an old thread.Sorry.

Did you ever try an air dam on the build Jason? The hull has proven itself very fast in many different configurations. The 1515 and 4S seem to do well. Looking forward to hearing more.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    Did you ever try an air dam on the build Jason? The hull has proven itself very fast in many different configurations. The 1515 and 4S seem to do well. Looking forward to hearing more.

John
    Havent had to run a air dam John, with the extra weight of the 1515 & 6500mah packs over the front i havent had any trouble with lift or blow overs ..

Running M 445 / M 447 / M645 & getting speeds ranging from 57 - 65 mph

i am looking to get a ul-1 and i already have a 2200 and a hydra240... i was wondering what prop you got the fastest speed with, or if there is even a better on i could get?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast