Thread: Floatation Question for SV

Talking Floatation Question for SV

This might be a silly question, but since I'm rebuilding my SV right now.. I'd thought I'd ask.

In terms of floatation, a friend of mine suggested getting a small beach ball (or something similar) and using that in the nose partially inflated as opposed to using foam.

Has anyone tried this or is it just a bad idea?

Thanks,
    Colin

I use expandable spray foam in all my boats.......Gret Stuff low expansion from Home Depot.

Fill up the void in small amounts, about the size of a tennis ball, let cure overnight, repeat untill the void if full. Makes for an incredibly strong hull at almost no weight.

Only problem with the foam is if you wreck (which i have) it is hard to remove in order to repair the bow of the boat. I had to rebuild the front 6" after a run in with the fountain in the middle of our pond. The foam would have made that repair next to impossible.

The best thing I have found are Pool Noodles you can get then any where Target, Kmart, Toysrus, CVS, Food Lion you get the point use Shoe Goo to glue in place and easy clean up too.