Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twin Drive Jolly in the near future.....

New test picture of prototype twin jolly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Looks great. Did he mention what setup he used and any results?

That's hot!
    I may just have to get one. I got a toy sport triton and the quality is awesome. Dare i say better then my H & M boats.
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    That's hot!
    I may just have to get one. I got a toy sport triton and the quality is awesome. Dare i say better then my H & M boats.
    Taylor, the Toysport boats are manufactured to a higher quality than H & M boats. I have 3 H & M hulls and one Triton...no question as to which is better quality.

Douggie

Josephs boats are beautiful and built using a cnc / cad process. I will post a sneak peak at one of his projects that he has on the cnc drawing board.

My syncron has endured more crashes than I care to write about. Not a stress crack or problem anywhere. I wish I could say the same for my Drifter S, Drifter and Viper.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Taylor, the Toysport boats are manufactured to a higher quality than H & M boats. I have 3 H & M hulls and one Triton...no question as to which is better quality.

Douggie
    In fact this thread with my prior knowledge of H & M begs the question of how to stiffen my M1 hull.
    I have looked at carbon fibre weave, but it is really expensive. Any other answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Josephs boats are beautiful and built using a cnc / cad process. I will post a sneak peak at one of his projects that he has on the cnc drawing board.

My syncron has endured more crashes than I care to write about. Not a stress crack or problem anywhere. I wish I could say the same for my Drifter S, Drifter and Viper.

We have two Tritons and one Sycron in the club that have been through hell. Blown off, stuffed, launched off buoys over and over again, and not a single gelcoat crack.

Pretty remarkable!!! Check out this vid. Two Tritons and two Titans. http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/BV4ZFZVF9YYVKWSC

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 10-04-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Here's are video of a single on this power
    http://www.auto.indavideo.hu/video/infotoys-porthu
    24 cells and LMT 2250-8 with Schulze 32-170 controller
    Steven Vaccaro

I thought you Jolly fans might like to see my 'work in progress' version of a Twin Jolly.
    I bought mine as a bare hull from Fastelectrics ( thanks Andrew ) and have made my own surface drives from KS stainless tubing with speedmaster sleeve bushes inside.
    The stainless brackets welded to the tubes have slotted mounting holes so a small amount of trim adjustment is possible and they enter the hull through flexible rubber sleeves.
    The thrust is taken by the mounting brackets , not the rubber sleeves.
    Inside are 2 Feigao 8XLs with Castle Hydra ESCs from OSE ( thanks Steven ).
    The rudder is a bit of a hybrid with an Aeromarine Laminates mounting bracket , which fits the hull perfectly, and a speedmaster blade.
    Power will be 2 X 12 IB3800s with lipos planned for the future.
    Don't know how fast it will go but I don't think it will be slow !
    Regards
    Graham.
    Attached Images Attached Images

awsome job post some vid when you are done let us see that thing in the water......................

Graham thats outstanding work!!! That should scream! What props will you start with?

For reference, This is the setup Joseph is testing in the twin proto
    2 pcs LMT 1940-11 (1425 rpm/v) 2 pcs Schulze 32-55 WK
    and 6 cells LiPo 4600 (or 22 cells) with Graupner K40 left and right.
    Steven Vaccaro

I have looked at carbon fibre weave
    I just got a very nice piece carbon fiber weave. Let me know how much you may need and maybe we can work something out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    I just got a very nice piece carbon fiber weave. Let me know how much you may need and maybe we can work something out. :)
    What weight and weave???

I am very interested

Weight of the fabric is 670grams per square meter, 2X2 twill weave. I bought a 45x12 piece and will use about half of it if that. Very thick stuff top quality.

Thanks, for the quick reply. I think that is too heavy for my application. Stiffen.. easy Doug .. My M1 Superecat

I will pm you a link. There are diffrent weaves. :)

Thanks,

Douggie

[QUOTE=Steven Vaccaro;15917]Graham thats outstanding work!!! That should scream! What props will you start with?

Hi Steven

I have a r/h and l/h pair of Graupner K40 and 45 to try for starters but hope to eventually end up with metal props.

Also planned for the future are lipos but a) I cant afford them and b) I'm not brave enough yet, so the boat will have to cope with the weight of 24 Nmh cells for now.

Haven't decided on a colour scheme yet but will probably keep it simple like Callan Marine, white with blue lettering.
    I'm sure you know the first Callan twin turbine cat was the old Jolly Motor.

Regards
    Graham.

I was going to do the callan marine boat with my jolly also. I decided to fly the OSE colors instead.

SJFE very nice cat. could you possibly post a picture of the underside?

Thanks Rob. No but tomorrow while I'm at the lake I'll snap one.

[QUOTE=G Doggett;15996]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Graham thats outstanding work!!! That should scream! What props will you start with?

Hi Steven

I have a r/h and l/h pair of Graupner K40 and 45 to try for starters but hope to eventually end up with metal props.

Also planned for the future are lipos but a) I cant afford them and b) I'm not brave enough yet, so the boat will have to cope with the weight of 24 Nmh cells for now.

Haven't decided on a colour scheme yet but will probably keep it simple like Callan Marine, white with blue lettering.
    I'm sure you know the first Callan twin turbine cat was the old Jolly Motor.

Regards
    Graham.
    ABCprops has a 39mm 3 bladed prop L&R. #1516, dia 1.56, pitch 1.6 nom pitch in2.498 , dia mm 39.624, dia mm casting 38.847, nom pitch mm63.398, bore .187, $29.95.
    i have 4 different pairs that i use. my best speed has been w/octuras X447 on a 1:2-1 ratio transmission. with the new KB motors out now, there is no need for transmissions - my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    Thanks Rob. No but tomorrow while I'm at the lake I'll snap one.
    did you make it out to the lake?

Yeah all the way out there to realize I had on stupid setting off on the hydra. Waist of my time. I will stick to the hex. PnP 50 bucks toss it when it blows..and I havent lost one yet.

Did some testing today of my twin Jolly and even with 33% centre of gravity the porpoising and bouncing is real bad until she gets up to near full speed when she flattens out.
    To move the c/g further forward will mean putting the batteries ( all 24 of them) up under the deck.
    I am watching with interest how the Toysport version goes and how they solve this problem.
    My surface drives are in the same relative position as the picture posted by Steven of the Toysport version, and am also running counter rotation with the props spinning inwards same as the picture.
    I can angle my drives down about 1 degree if necessary but I cant see that small adjustment solving the violent porpoising.
    I have built and raced several cats and none have needed the c/g to be further forward than 33%.
    I'm scratching my head over this one !
    Graham.

Changed the props to rotating outwards as suggested - no better.
    Still porpoises like crazy. I even tried it with two cans of Coke jammed up in the sponsons to give a c/g of about 40% - just the same.
    It was exciting opening the cans afterwards !
    I think the next move is to angle the drives down to the max ( about 2 degrees ) and try some lifting props to lift the stern.
    Still watching with interest to see how Toysport set up their twin version.
    Graham.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12