Thread: Well... Boo

Default Well... Boo

I few weeks ago I ran some lipos in a 32" cat pretty hard from the get go till the LVC kicked in. It was 2 2S packs in series, 4S to an 8XL motor. I brought it in and things were warm but not blazing. If I remember, my batts were about 130F? The next day I ran one of those 2S packs, w/ a 3S for a 5S set up for 2 quick passes to see how she'd run. I brought it in and checked temps. Highest batt temp was 122F. A few days later I pulled the 2S packs out to run them and noticed one felt a little "airy". I looked closer at it and noticed it was puffed about 1/16" on one side. I took precaution and set it in my grill out in the garage for a couple weeks. There was no change, so today I thought Id hook it up and peak it. Charger read "Voltage error". After checking it, it seems one cell went Kapoot.

SO, whats the best way to dispose of it? The LHS and another Lipo company said to discharge it as much as possible and then put it in salt water for a few weeks? How do i discharge it if it only half works? Do I need to worry about that?

I puffed a Reedy 5000 when it was 6 weeks old at 90 bux and Reedy nor the LHS would do anything about it. This 2S was a Turnigy pack... I got 7 months usage out of it AND it survived a fire... So I still believe in Turnigy and will be replacing it with the same Turnigy battery from HC.

Throwing the LiPo in salt water will slowly discharge it over time.

Throw it in the water in its current state of charge and it will be safe.

Lipo disposal has benn talked about before but each time I see someone who is unsure I will answer.
    Pop it in a bucket of water for a week and it should be fine to then dispose of.
    I use a large 1.2L metal can that I have a lot of from my home-brew (beer) hobby.
    The pack goes in the can full of water and then after a week or two it gets wrapped in newspaper and lobbed in the garbage.

I am sure there are better and more environmentaly freindly ways to dispose of them but here we do not have them.......yet.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

The airplane/heli guys have been doing this forever. Discharge the cells to 1.0V or below, twist the leads together and toss them in the trash.

Ray

I was told by Pat at RCLipos to put the cells in Salt water to make safe to dispose of.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

All it takes is a couple of tsp of salt in the water and throw it in a bucket outside.

Would be nice to save the other cell but that would usually be on a larger pack.

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the replies. Im going to give it its burial in the "bucket o salt water" today. I just wanted to be sure I wasnt going to do this and create more problems.

Thanks again!

1. discharge the cell with a lightbulb.
    2. make 2 cuts in the outer shell of the cell.
    3. 3 tablespoons of salt per litre water. Put cell in the water.
    4. after a day, or two, throw the cell(s) in the trashbin.

There is no chemical waste in the cell(s) !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerwin Brommer View Post
    1. discharge the cell with a lightbulb.
    2. make 2 cuts in the outer shell of the cell.
    3. 3 tablespoons of salt per litre water. Put cell in the water.
    4. after a day, or two, throw the cell(s) in the trashbin.

There is no chemical waste in the cell(s) !!
    Lol i was going to say i hope someone makes a bit more detailed response, well done Gerwin.

Yes, very well put.. Thanks Gerwin. I didnt get a chance to do anything w/ it today. Perhaps tomorrow.....