Thread: Cycling

Default Cycling

I finally purchased a charger after over 20 years of RC-ing that has a cycle function. It came w/ great (what) instructions, but not so great (how) instructions.

If Im dealing w/ some older Nimh batts, If I set the charger to do say 3 cycles, discharge/ charge, what should my discharge settings be for say a 3000mah 6cell? I have an amp setting, then a volt setting then a charge setting.
    So for example, it would look something like this
    x.xA/ x.xV - > x.xA , being, discharge amps/ discharge volts - > charge amps

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to Amperage discharge per cell count or mah or something?
    And same question but involving some Nicads I have layin around. What should A and V discharge rates be?

Oh and it is a Dynamite Passport Ultra charger

Not a fan of dynamite products! however if you are going to do some cycling, a rule of thumb is to multiply by 2-3 the amps you are going to discharge= 3000=6-9 amp discharge, cut of discharge voltage should be .9 volts per cell=3000 6 cell will have a cutoff of 5.40 volts same for Nicads and Nimh. only difference is in peak setting= for nicads=10 -12mv Nimh=3-5mv per cell :6 cell will be 60-72ma and 18-30ma for Nimh. for 3000 mah i charge at 2.5amps to 4 amps depending on how fast i want to get going. Nicd are more tolerant to heat and overcharges, but not the Nimh, too much heat and overcharge will toast them.
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Cool thanks.

Ive had/ have several Dynamite products and have no complaints.