Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie!!..got some questions for yall!!

Default Newbie!!..got some questions for yall!!

Ok guys im new to rc boat, and i got an apache for a good deal...so i gutted it and put fiberglass to reinforce the hull...im wanting to go brushless and ill be using 2 EP4500 6 Cell 7.2volt NiMh Sub C Pack in parallel...i also have a prop from a bruhless blackjack which is 1.6" x 2.5".....not sure what kv motor i should get??
    Pro Boat Apache....gutted and glassed...looking for a brushless motor..any ideas??

Welcome to the forum!

Im not real familiar w/ the Brushed Apache. I do have the Black Jack. The stock motor in that is about a 1500KV. I recon that would be a god starting point for you. But go to Lipos asap.

Hobbycity.com = stupid deals on lipos

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Im not real familiar w/ the Brushed Apache. I do have the Black Jack. The stock motor in that is about a 1500KV. I recon that would be a god starting point for you. But go to Lipos asap.

Hobbycity.com = stupid deals on lipos

-Scott
    ok thanks for the website.....what kind of lipos are good...not sure what discharge or mah?...sorry new to the lipo battery
    Pro Boat Apache....gutted and glassed...looking for a brushless motor..any ideas??

You want a minimum of a 20C. If you can afford it, go 30 or even more. Batteries will stress a lot less. As for mah, in a parallel set up, minimum of maybe 5000 total would be a great start. So 2, 2500s or so. Or if you wanna go and can fit more, go more. Some guys run up to 10k mah. I havent seen it personally. I have seen 8k. Gives a good run time w/ a lot of punch. Just remember, boats stress out equipment a lot more. So coming from planes or cars etc, the amp draw is much much less. Boat equipment gets hot. Whatever you do, check temps often especially on its first couple runs.

Oh and the Turnigys are fantastic. Lots of people are having much success w/ them. Ive got several of my own...

For lipos's 25c and higher good place to start, I myself try and run 30c and up. Not sure if the BJ prop is going to work for you. I think, but maybe wrong that the bj is 3/16 drive and the apache is 1/8 drive. Not 100% sure on that. If im right you may need this http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1035 Also I don't think that hull can handle much over 25mph once again I may be wrong ( and ususally am lol) on that.

If am not mistaken its a tight fit for batteries in that boat and I have one laying around my garage (a friends) and I think my tenergy lipos where all that fit because they were shorter and thinner than any turnigy or zippy i have.

Make sure you have a charger that can charge lipo's and also read this before you start. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=12020

Welcome

yea like tiqueman said turnigy's and zippys are the $**t, i run a crap load of them myself.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

[QUOTE=Diesel6401;173388]For lipos's 25c and higher good place to start, I myself try and run 30c and up. Not sure if the BJ prop is going to work for you. I think, but maybe wrong that the bj is 3/16 drive and the apache is 1/8 drive. Not 100% sure on that. If im right you may need this http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1035

QUOTE]

I know the BJ is not a 3/16 shaft... a 3/16 prop on it does need a sleeve. Not sure if its 4mm or 1/8... cant remember

And Diesel... putting words in my mounth they are the $**t

Thanks diesel for the link...it answered most of my questions....pic to follow tomorrow

QUOTE]

I know the BJ is not a 3/16 shaft... a 3/16 prop on it does need a sleeve. Not sure if its 4mm or 1/8... cant remember

And Diesel... putting words in my mounth they are the $**t [/QUOTE]

I have actually used the BJ prop on my boat when i had the brushed motor in it...it came with a brass sleeve and seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by 04deezelram View Post
    Thanks diesel for the link...it answered most of my questions....pic to follow tomorrow
    Glad to help. Lot's of good info on this site and good people like tiqueman
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I remember I put my Rio Ep prop 40mm or 42mm 1/8 drive on my friends Apache and it was a bat outta hell out of the gate until the motor blew
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I remember I put my Rio Ep prop 40mm or 42mm 1/8 drive on my friends Apache and it was a bat outta hell out of the gate until the motor blew
    Was that on the stock apache drive??

Was that on the stock apache drive??
    Yea it was stock. I was right when I got into boating and had NO CLUE what I was doing (still don't have a clue lol) and blew the motor. O I also almost sunk it.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Glad to help. Lot's of good info on this site and good people like tiqueman
    Awwwww Diesel.... Im gettin all choked up

Yes there are many, MANY great people on here. Best forum to belong to.

Awwwww Diesel.... Im gettin all choked up

Yes there are many, MANY great people on here. Best forum to belong to.
    HAHAHAHAHA
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Haha sounds like something I would do....anybody know what kv would be good for my boat....I'm looking at the feigo 540l

Im running a motor similar to a 540L size in my BJ now on 3S. its a 2045 KV and Im getting about 37mph and temps are under 100F.

I just realized my comment above on the BJ motor, on 2S (7.4V) , you want a bit more kV than 1500. Maybe a 8L? I will let others chime in on this one.....

Haha sounds like something I would do....anybody know what kv would be good for my boat....I'm looking at the feigo 540l
    Don't forget you need a brushless esc. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...&ParentCat=254
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that as well...

A marine 120amp esc and 8L on 2s should be OK. Or just use the whole proboat widowmaker package although, I think their is less expensive ways. A 540L maybe a little to much, maybe a 80amp esc on 12s.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 04-08-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I have a hobbywing 90amp esc and programing card on the way......diesel do you think the 540L is too big??

Also does anybody know where I can get an apator to run a motor with a 5mm shaft and attach it to the 1/8 stock flexshaft?

Also does anybody know where I can get an apator to run a motor with a 5mm shaft and attach it to the 1/8 stock flexshaft?
    Here on OSE of course.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Motor+Couplers

Read this also and check the youtube video out in one of the post, pretty cool.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=10491
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I looked on there Deisel before you posted... I didnt see and 5mm to 1/8 (or about 3mm). Actually, would a 5mm to .130 work? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=ose-str-ci .125 is 1/8. Id imagine thatll do it.

I looked to and didn't see it...but didn't want to feel stupid

I looked on there Deisel before you posted... I didnt see and 5mm to 1/8 (or about 3mm). Actually, would a 5mm to .130 work? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=ose-str-ci .125 is 1/8. Id imagine thatll do it.
    Yup, the .130 should work fine, even this may work http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ct-ocfhe5mm13S
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Yup, the .130 should work fine, even this may work http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ct-ocfhe5mm13S
    That one may work beter than the straightbore w/ set screws would. Being that is the collet clamp type.

That one may work beter than the straightbore w/ set screws would. Being that is the collet clamp type.

Plus it's the short version for a tight space and if I can remember theirs not a whole lot of room between the motor mount and battery tray.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Ok thanks guys....I was going to order that engine off of eBay but it said it was going to be 10 days to ship it!

Im a little rusty on fiberglassing
    [URL=""]
    Blackjack fins and a new water pickup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast