Thread: Video Cameras?

Default Video Cameras?

I'm in between builds and waiting for parts to arrive, so i have a little time on my hands. I was researching video cameras online for shooting video's of my boats in action. Does anyone own a certain brand video camera or one they would reccomend. Looking at the hard drive and dvd format video cameras. Just wasn't sure if someone would reccomend dvd or hard drive format and what wasmore reliable and easy to transfer.

Thanks
    Where just a bunch A-hulls with boats...

I have always had good luck with Sony. I have always had the tape kind. But just bought a used dvd sony to give it a try. The problem is with the dvd I bought the record time is about 20 minutes in the best resolution.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I happen to like Cannon as their lenses seem to be better. As far as the format goes if you want to get into editing I would think the hard drive models would give better results as the video would be raw uncompressed.

Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Cannon may have better optics, but my experience with them was this. I had 2 Cannon Elura(spelling) die on me. The first in the warranty period, the second(replacement) not.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Thanks Steve and U-40!

I think I made my decision.

I think I will get this high teck wonder! I love the hand crank option on this model.

http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/...howell_323.jpg

Just Joking; but I think I found one and your opinions helped out!

I didn't have that model I had the ZR with the mini DV tape and it's still working just fine thank you. I think as long as you stay with a good brand there are many good models out there.
    Jim Clark
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

thats funny...........
    Island Boys Fast Electric Hawaii

I dont use a video camera. I use MrsSjfe's Sony Cybershot to record video. The resolution is good but we only have a 1gig memory stick. Ten minutes @ high rez. My only compplaint is it seems to want to focus on the backround instead of the boat @ times. But it's light & easy to drive and record @ the same time.

Thanks SJFE, I think I'll think I might get a new digital camera and use the video option as you mentioned. I did not realize how many boaters actually get there video this way. Easy to transfer also!

The quality is always better with the camcorder. For boaters who don't always have a buddy to record the smaller unit it prolly best. Be sure it is a sony or othe top brand with alot of storage.