Thread: new sv owner, cooling problem right out of the box

Default new sv owner, cooling problem right out of the box

I just bought my new SV on Saturday, took it out for the first run and the boat was overheating. Come to find out the cooling jacket on the ESC was clogged with glue or whatever they used to seal the brass hose fittings on the jacket. Drilled them out and now i have good flow.. anyone else have this problem out of the box.. may have missed the F.Y.I. on this issue in an old post..thought i read most of them..

The first thing I would do with the stock sv is throw away the cheap rubber cooling jacket and get an aluminum one for about 15-bucks. Then get the water pick-up from the nitro SV. Its only a few bucks and works loads better tham the stock turn-fin pickup. Just my 2-cents!

Default thanx

great advice..thx

I opened up the stock rudder pick up with a small rat file. I also use a transom pickup in addtition to the rudder for a dual pickup setup. Best bang for you buck is to get the better trim tabs with the addtional pick up from Kintecracing.com

It's the 3rd one down.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

thx Diesel6401.. i have been reading ur posts between u and wizard122..new to rc boating and the SV..luv 2 get our boats 2gether and learn about them.. and get pointers from u guys..go "pitsburgh" and luv primanti bros!!

[QUOTE=mdunham;172706]thx Diesel6401.. i have been reading ur posts between u and wizard122..new to rc boating and the SV..luv 2 get our boats 2gether and learn about them.. and get pointers from u guys..go "pitsburgh" and luv primanti bros!![/QUOTE]

I love to get together sometime. All we have to do is arrange a time with me, you and wizard. Check out my vid on the SV and you can see the potential. Wizard broke into the 50's with his boat. It's a fun hobby and I've only been in it since october, but wizard has been into boats a long time and is full of good information.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I have a stock SV and the only thing I've done to the cooling is use a point file on the rudder to open it up some
    my temps have never been over 110* on anything in the hot summer
    and most days my motor gets only to the upper 90s and the esc is only in the low 90s
    the stock equipment is good on these ans even the UL-1
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I have a stock SV and the only thing I've done to the cooling is use a point file on the rudder to open it up some
    my temps have never been over 110* on anything in the hot summer
    and most days my motor gets only to the upper 90s and the esc is only in the low 90s
    the stock equipment is good on these ans even the UL-1

I wonder if I should try my 7xl in my SV

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post

I wonder if I should try my 7xl in my SV
    Ive thought about a 6XL
    but I do have a Medusa 3660 2300kv that just begs to run in this hull
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Ive thought about a 6XL
    but I do have a Medusa 3660 2300kv that just begs to run in this hull
    Youuuuuurrrrrrr craazzzzy man....lol
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

it's only about 41,000rpm what could go wrong?

it's only about 41,000rpm what could go wrong?
    What ever happens it will be 1 cool video that's for sure lol...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I think I will try my Medusa 3670 2300kv motor first..

I have an SV27 which I've only used a couple times so far. How do you tell if you have good cooling or not? I can't really tell if water is coming out the discharge port on the side because the boat moves so quickly.

--Scott

For starters check your temps when your run is over.

I'm new to this. What temps should I check and how do I know when it's too hot?

Check your motor and Esc. Not sure what is too hot but mine is around 110 f. You can touch them and feel if they are to hot to touch then you might need to check your cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I'm new to this. What temps should I check and how do I know when it's too hot?
    Make sure you grab yourself a digital thermomter. This is the one I use and best bang for your buck. If you have a Harbor Freight near you def check it out. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93983
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I have an SV27 which I've only used a couple times so far. How do you tell if you have good cooling or not? I can't really tell if water is coming out the discharge port on the side because the boat moves so quickly.

--Scott
    Take the cooling hose from off the top of the rudder and blow into it, you should feel air coming out of the water oultet on the side. After that blow down onto the hose fitting on the rudder itself, you should feel air coming from the hole in rudder. Make sure air is not coming from out the bottom. Also open that rudder pickup hole a little with a small round (rat tail) file.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I'll try that, thanks.