Thread: A Little Rustler Update

Default A Little Rustler Update

Just finished up a Traxxas Rustler trick-out. Turned out well and dang, do these precision suspension pieces really make it handle better! Easy to adjust and nice balance. MIP rear ball diff, aluminum shock towers, etc... I've had a Stampede for years, but never have taken an RC truck this far. Was fun!

Used all the take-offs to build up a second Rustler, so I have two of them, one with LOTs of trick parts... the other with a few. AND, from all the spares from these two, I put my Stampede back together...

Three trucks, lots of spare parts and interchance.... This Rustler has Spektrum Radio Gear (DX3R) installed... The other two have Traxxas radios, so the kids can use them without me worrying about them ruining an expensive radio.

Going to be a FUN summer!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

A couple more shots...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet ride Darin! These Traxxas vehicles are great for kids(big and small). They take a beating and keep coming back for more.
    Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
    Sweet ride Darin! These Traxxas vehicles are great for kids(big and small). They take a beating and keep coming back for more.
    Alvin
    I agree. The kids and I are having a great time with them. We tried a 3s pack in the Slash the other day. It was insane fast. Fast enough to flip it over backwards.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Just put a new tranny in the stampede running 90T and 19 pinion...with 2S it will do wheelies at 15 mph...it is nuts....lots of fun. Darin, are those A arms RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Just put a new tranny in the stampede running 90T and 19 pinion...with 2S it will do wheelies at 15 mph...it is nuts....lots of fun. Darin, are those A arms RPM?
    Yes, those are RPM arms... didn't want to go with Aluminum here. I think there needs to be a failure point, or more impact absorbsion in some areas... Wilmer suggested going with these. He thrashes his Pede, so he'd know!

I'm sticking with Brushed motor setups for now, since I have them... Using old NiMH for the same reason... simple for the kids to deal with.

Current spur is 86T, and I think there is a 15t pinion in there, with a 19T V2 motor on 6-cells... I may step this one up later on, but for now, it's plenty fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Yes, those are RPM arms... didn't want to go with Aluminum here. I think there needs to be a failure point, or more impact absorbsion in some areas... Wilmer suggested going with these. He thrashes his Pede, so he'd know!

I'm sticking with Brushed motor setups for now, since I have them... Using old NiMH for the same reason... simple for the kids to deal with.

Current spur is 86T, and I think there is a 15t pinion in there, with a 19T V2 motor on 6-cells... I may step this one up later on, but for now, it's plenty fast...
    I swapped to brushless, they are faster with longer runtime. Just as easy as brushed and use nimh. Unless I'm around and then we can switch to a lipo. I did pop a nimh cell yesterday. i thought it was the cap on the esc. Quite a loud bang.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I swapped to brushless, they are faster with longer runtime. Just as easy as brushed and use nimh. Unless I'm around and then we can switch to a lipo. I did pop a nimh cell yesterday. i thought it was the cap on the esc. Quite a loud bang.
    Yah... but I HAVE all this brushed stuff laying around, and needed a place to put it to use... As things wear out, BL WILL be in the future...

Yah... but I HAVE all this brushed stuff laying around, and needed a place to put it to use... As things wear out, BL WILL be in the future...
    Giving the kids leftovers, thats just not right!
    Rip out that traxxas junk for some real power. Toss in a neu 1415 1.5d and a Castle Monster Esc!
    Steven Vaccaro

I was running a 19T 05 motor but put a new 12T Traxxas motor in it and it runs cooler with built in fan. AND my Duratrax cheapo Speedo is handling it fine. Says down to 18T t she does not even get warm! I have a fan to put on it if needed but don't seem to need it.

The 7.4 lipo almost is 1/3 more speed...not sure why but it is worth it. I took two small 2200 and para them togther so she runs and runs.

Nice ride darin, i have a Rustler VXL myself with all the same hop ups, i only use mine for racing in mod truck class, they are a great truck, but to be a real contender in raceing the rustler just isnt quite there YET!

have you done the RPM rear arm mod on the front yet?
    returning to boats after a big break

Quote Originally Posted by Apples1 View Post
    have you done the RPM rear arm mod on the front yet?
    No... haven't done that yet... Might not bother. They seem to work fine at this point. Not going to race these.

If I go racing, I'll get a Slash I think... Lot's of parts interchance with what I already have, and, judging from the reviews and head-to-heads I've read, it's a VERY durable and competitive stadium race truck.

No... haven't done that yet... Might not bother. They seem to work fine at this point. Not going to race these.

If I go racing, I'll get a Slash I think... Lot's of parts interchance with what I already have, and, judging from the reviews and head-to-heads I've read, it's a VERY durable and competitive stadium race truck.
    We had three slash trucks out yesterday after Easter dinner, only one came back alive! After numerous crashes, jumps and wheelies gone wrong, one broke a yoke, and another just had the tire come out of the rim. Awesome fun!
    Steven Vaccaro

At our track the Blitz seems to be the champ.

http://www.rcracebarn.net

Having a national nitro race out there on April 10...racers from all over the midwest.

We had the Stampede and the Rustler out after Easter dinner also..the kids had a ball with them!....broke a lower control arm on one and the rear drive axle on the other...Trying to find someone who is interested in fixing them for $$......Not enough time to keep up with fixing boats and cars as well...I'll stick with the boats but would love to find a good truck/car repair person......Norm