Thread: Anyone Run an Octura 1.25 prop???

Arrow Anyone Run an Octura 1.25 prop???

I'm wondering if anyone runs an Octura prop, model #1.25 at 31.75mm diameter?

If so, please provide feedback and your experience.

Thanks!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I've never heard of that one.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I've never heard of that one.
    It has a 1.8 pitch - pretty high for the size.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    It has a 1.8 pitch - pretty high for the size.
    That's exactly why I'm looking at it and getting input! Don't worry Egneg, you'll see it when I get you to B/S Thanks!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I guess no one has seen one in person...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I take it this is a new prop not a Y531 that someone has converted the measurements from metric to imperial measurements on?

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I take it this is a new prop not a Y531 that someone has converted the measurements from metric to imperial measurements on?
    Nope. Octura has a decimal designation for this series. But I have not seen that size, my catalog only goes down to a 1.6". All the decimal series are 1.8 pitch ratio. That is not the same as pitch.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Paul, is the Y531 available as metal? I haven't seen that and it doesn't appear in any of the Octura charts I've seen.

Not available in metal that I know of, its just a side effect of growing up at a metric time in a traditionally imperial measuring country, mental conversions are second nature to me, never having heard of Octuras decimal range when Egneg said it was 1.8pitch and being named 1.25 I put 2 and 2 together and made 5, the Y531 which is very close to 1.25dia 1.8pitch

got any charts with the decimal series in?

From what I saw from paper in a LHS, they read 1.25, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, etc. which measures in inches.

The Y531 measures 31mm and the 5 indicates that it's 1.5 pitch.
    Another example, X442 measures 42mm and 1.4 pitch.

I didn't see the pitch for the Octura model #1.25 on the sheet. I guess Egneg found it somewhere.

I just got 2 off ebay to day and there is one left 1.25 1/8 bore
    Old guy

Ahh, I found them in the bottom octura prop chart on fastelectrics.com , it looks like the are the 17xx series renamed, if so I know someone that swears by them for riggers, but they are not for my uses.

Looks like this.

John

Change is the one Constant

Cool

These are among the oldest of the Octura prop series, designed before Tom changed to the current metric prop designations. They are high-lift props with modest blade area, and all have the 1.8 pitch ratio. They really are not too much like the 1700 series.

I used the 1.6 and 1.8 props years ago when they were available in metal. They are appropriate for hydros only, and most castings were very thick. The 1.25 was introduced several years ago, the rest are ancient, nearly 50 years old.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks Jay. I was thinking of trying one of these on my Batrax rigger. RPM's will be around 36,500's loaded (11.1 @ 3600kv). Any recommendations regarding taking some of the load off this prop, such as back cutting?

Cool

I've only run it in its stock shape, but I suppose you could cut off some of the tongue. Be careful, the 1.25 doesn't have much blade area as it is. Set up right you're looking at 50s out of a rigger.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I have 2 on the way from ebay and one will stay stalk the other one is going on the prop anvil for cupping. for $4.99 each I can play with them on my little rigger
    Old Guy

Did you get the props yet? Mine just came in.

No not yet, it will be about a week more before the dog team gets here with them lol
    Old Guy

So, wheres the pics Meniscus? Lets have a look at it.

You got it. Give me a few since I'm at work.

OK, here you go. The camera I have with me sucks to focus close, but I tried to capture the shape, pitch, and profile of the prop. I'll take some better pictures later if you'd like.

DELETED BLURRY PICTURES

For reference, those dark ebony block inlays on my desk measure 5mm.
    Last edited by Meniscus; 04-21-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: REMOVED BLURRY PICTURES

OK, let's try this again after beating the camera on the floor! J/K

100_2908.jpg 100_2909.jpg 100_2910.jpg

100_2911.jpg 100_2912.jpg

One more:

100_2913.jpg

"Be careful what you ask for, you might get blurry pictures!"