Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Dominion Model Boat Association- Chesapeake, VA

if you cant beat them restrict them I hope chuck can run it so he can keep up with the points race. I got my IMPBA card today so now I just have to pay club dues it looks like I am going to make the d12 race I dont know if I will have the 18 to enter the boat or not but i will be at the race.

I'm allot of things Danny, but intellectual is not one of them. Different things have different meanings to different people. I hate the "Blah" emotioncon because to me that's the same as my kid saying "whatever" which translates to "I don't care what you have to say". Anyhow, if I took your post in the wrong way, I apologize.

The "P-spec" classes are a specialized district class only. No rules for these classes exist in the IMPBA Rule book. IMO- your hull is legal but my opinion doesnt mean squat. I'll try and get a final answer within a day or two.

Calm down guys!

I have other options open to me so don't sweat the small stuff.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

just want the FE guy to stay on top lol

Thank you Mike. I too apologize, but for my poorly expressed ignorance.
    I was under the impression that Nitro boats had a minimum length, but mo max, and FE had had a Maximum length, but no min.
    maybe this rumor is a merger of the nitro rule with the FE rule?? Just a thought.
    Correct me if I'm wrong please, but if 3 or more FE boats enter a particular class, the IMPBA rules say that they HAVE to let them race.
    Therefore the "The district did not have to let us run with the nitro guys ths year, but they did on a trial basis" comment has me confused. This is to run WITH nitro boats, not run FE alone right?

Jason, I like that...
    If you can't beat'em, Restrict'em till they quit! LOL
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 08-06-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes Danny, You are correct. The district will allow any IMPBA class to run as long as it has a minimum of three entries.

The trial rules that the District approved did two things. It created the P-spec classes in D12 and it allowed nitro and FE classes to run combined. Running combined has benifited us in two major ways this year. First, It allows us to register for a race without worrying if we were going to make the three boat minimum. Secondly it has given the district FE exposure at more races. Lets face it, the ODMBA race is the only race this year that we will have more than three FE's in a class.

I hate bad mouthing the IMPBA because these guys arn''t getting paid for what they do. But I agree the rule book needs some serious work. The posted "rule book" is out of date and all the changes and trials are spread out over sereval years of Roostertail newsletters. The thing is train wreck!!!

So when is the next race?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ODMBA club has a face book account. There is a link to the club schedule. Next club race for you guys is Sept 12th.

Also make sure Dick has your email address so he can send you club emails.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Do...A/278187492808

Thanks Mike

Have fun and you guys let me know how you do!

Tropical storm warnings are up for the whole Norfolk/ VA Beach area. Be carefull!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Thank you Mike. I too apologize, but for my poorly expressed ignorance.
    I was under the impression that Nitro boats had a minimum length, but mo max, and FE had had a Maximum length, but no min.
    maybe this rumor is a merger of the nitro rule with the FE rule?? Just a thought.
    Correct me if I'm wrong please, but if 3 or more FE boats enter a particular class, the IMPBA rules say that they HAVE to let them race.
    Therefore the "The district did not have to let us run with the nitro guys ths year, but they did on a trial basis" comment has me confused. This is to run WITH nitro boats, not run FE alone right?

Jason, I like that...
    If you can't beat'em, Restrict'em till they quit! LOL
    Let's get a couple things straight -

1- maximum length and weight for IMPBA boats is 60" and 25 pounds. Some classes do have minimums as well, depends on the particular class.
    2- there is no rule that says if you have 3 of anything then you have to let them race. 3 boats has been a general minimum for an established class to run at a race but that can be raised or even lowered (example: the IndyMasters next week had a 12 boat minimum per class). Any new classes are subject to district approval and as it stands right now we will probably need to cut something out to make any room for a new class. I'm looking into various options for the 2011 season but we still have 2010 to finish.
    3- the quote- "The district did not have to let us run with the nitro guys this year, but they did on a trial basis" is 100% correct and we spent a good deal of time making it a viable and fair situation before it ever went before the D12 members. Host clubs can deviate and/or add to established classes as was done for FE at the ODMBA race (180 shootout) with approval.
    4- the rulebook is being worked on and updated but it is a slow and painstaking process but it will happen so please be patient, major changes should happen this winter.
    5- I am the IMPBA D12 Director as well as the National Gas Director.

'nuff said.

Hopefully we can continue to grow FE and make it more permanent but for now we take it one step at a time and a couple of you need to take a chill pill and not jeopardize what we have worked hard on to accomplish so far.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 09-02-2010 at 01:39 PM.

We all know who you are Don.
    We all hope the rules are updated with US in mind

Hopefully we can make room for a "non spec" class that's not mono hulls!

Maybe we can take a poll on what FE classes we're interested in running next year.

I'm down for
    1:8 hydro
    P-hydro and/or rigger

We all know who you are Don.
    Obviously that is not the case there Danny as below was said a little bit back in this thread-
    "No one on this board is a District 12 officer so I suggest you contact the IMPBA District 12 Director for your answer."
    Rather than having to answer numerous p/m's or e-mails I gave everyone the answers here. With that being said again a couple of you guys need to just chill and work with those who are trying to give FE a place to play in D12. As I said before one step a time and we'll see how it goes. It's really quite simple, either get on board with the D12 group and go mainstream or continue to play in obscurity ....... I like the first option for everyone personally.

Hopefully we can make room for a "non spec" class that's not mono hulls!

Maybe we can take a poll on what FE classes we're interested in running next year.
    Patience grasshoppa, patience.

With me building some FE this winter that's not "P-Spec" I'm hoping for the same thing.

But first the FE participation needs to be consistent to show it's worth.

Amen brother...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    Obviously that is not the case there Danny as below was said a little bit back in this thread-
    "No one on this board is a District 12 officer so I suggest you contact the IMPBA District 12 Director for your answer."
    Rather than having to answer numerous p/m's or e-mails I gave everyone the answers here. With that being said again a couple of you guys need to just chill and work with those who are trying to give FE a place to play in D12. As I said before one step a time and we'll see how it goes. It's really quite simple, either get on board with the D12 group and go mainstream or continue to play in obscurity ....... I like the first option for everyone personally.

And with all due respect to the posters on this thread. Rather than complain about the rules not being updated, ect, ect. Why not contact your District Director, the President, or the Secretary and ask. "What can I do to help"???
    If you want things to get better, get involved in a positive way.
    As far as FE classes in D-12 go, it is up to you FE guys to get with the other members of your district and see where the majority of the interest is as far as a class goes. There are plenty of classes to choose from!!!!! The fastest growth is going to be in the "Limited" classes because in the grand scheme, they are inexpensive.
    The FE rules can be found in the Dec. 2008 Roostertail for those who will take the time to read them. http://impba.net/attachments/152_Dec08.pdf Like Don said the rules are being updated and will be online soon. Thanks Kevin Sheren, you are the man!!!!

Like Mike said earlier, the board members aren't paid for what they do. They do it because they love this hobby and want the IMPBA to be the best that it can be. Let's show these guys some support!!!

Keep up the good work!!
    See ya at the pond!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Wow ok I am just going to speak my mind and put it out there if you dont like it oh well. Don nice way to take 2 steps back buddy I was at the race with Danny we run together allot. we were impressed with the race we didn't care for a few things but liked it overall and saw allot of potential. Your post (71) has an air of you should kiss our feet that we let you run with us. I know that's not your intent and I am glad I meet you before reading it. This is a fast electric forum there is going to be some gas nitro boat smack its not serious just kidding around. I know Danny and any of the FE guys would give a gas guy anything out of their field box to keep someones gas or nitro boat going. As far as the rules go look at it from our point of view BEFORE the race hard to find exact rules (they are off in a newsletter and not on the main site) and until we met you guys at first glance it felt kinda like we weren't welcome. We learned it wasn't true and came out to the race but how many say its not worth it and go elsewhere. Doug I understand what your saying but if you don't listen to the new members and just dismiss their concerns you will loose allot of possible new recruits and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen. FE is fairly new we understand its going to take time to get everything running smooth it will take longer if nobody says hey what about this or that that.

Amen Brotha! Well said

Quote Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
    Wow ok I am just going to speak my mind and put it out there if you dont like it oh well. Don nice way to take 2 steps back buddy I was at the race with Danny we run together allot. we were impressed with the race we didn't care for a few things but liked it overall and saw allot of potential. Your post (71) has an air of you should kiss our feet that we let you run with us. I know that's not your intent and I am glad I meet you before reading it. This is a fast electric forum there is going to be some gas nitro boat smack its not serious just kidding around. I know Danny and any of the FE guys would give a gas guy anything out of their field box to keep someones gas or nitro boat going. As far as the rules go look at it from our point of view BEFORE the race hard to find exact rules (they are off in a newsletter and not on the main site) and until we met you guys at first glance it felt kinda like we weren't welcome. We learned it wasn't true and came out to the race but how many say its not worth it and go elsewhere. Doug I understand what your saying but if you don't listen to the new members and just dismiss their concerns you will loose allot of possible new recruits and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen. FE is fairly new we understand its going to take time to get everything running smooth it will take longer if nobody says hey what about this or that that.
    Kissing feet? You make me laugh.

Obviously you and Danny are missing the point, the established D12 IC racers are trying to make a place for FE to play, nothing says this has to occur at all so again be thankful for what is happening. And nobody said anything about not listening to the new members and just dismiss their concerns but demanding how this or that has to be right out of the box, well that approach just ain't gonna happen. If you don't like that and think it's two steps back then so be it but I'll say it again- just chill and work with those who are trying to give FE a place to play in D12. Being pushy as a couple of you already are being will do more harm than good. It's really quite simple, work within the established guidelines (which we can and will tweak as we go) and in the end everyone can hopefully have a place to play together. We can make this happen I will do everything I can to see that it does but baby steps man, we gotta start slow and work together towards the BIG picture.

I never demanded a damn thing right out of the box don we had issues with rules in the beginning as they aren't clear since they are not all listed in the same spot(this isnt the only thing I noticed just an example). I am pretty sure I said we aren't looking for things to be one way or another just when we ask about something to get an explanation as to why and if you cant give us one then lets look at it and see what we can do. I don't care about the points or trophy's I just want to race with the guys and have fun. I know Danny feels the same way and their was allot of confusion in the beginning as to what is and isn't allowed we worked thru it and managed to make the race. We aren't trying to be pushy we just want to do what we can to take FE forward.
    Chili I understand what your saying about the novice class and as far as the rules and bringing things up and what not I was happy with how the race was handled there were some things I had issues with but thought it was a good starting point. Now lets see how we can make it better next year you can be sure I will speak my mind. I am glad we can race in D12 I think it can be better and want to help make it better but don't expect me to blindly follow without voicing my opinion. Don baby steps are fine as long as we are moving forward as a group. I will work with you all day long on the FE Don I know you have done allot already we just want our input considered that's all. FE is going to take over nitro its coming its already done it in the rc car world and when it does you can be sure I will be looking out for them as well.

Jason, I know you came in late in the game, but I want to let you know that the FE rules that were written were posted several times on this board and on International Waters in draft form and the final version. Even before they were written, I asked for input from FE and Nitro racers every step of the way. When the rules were accepted for one year trial. I started a new thread. The Rules were posted on Post #9.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=13021

On post #78 I spent hours typing a guide for racers attending thier first D12 race so they would know what to expect and be prepared. So we did the best we could trying to get the word out and making sure the new FE racers were as prepared as they could be. We cannot control whats on the IMPBA board. Maybe we can get the rules posted on the D12 board. Other than that, there is nothing more we can do.

The gas boats in novice is issure for all the boats that run in the class. My club mate Andy came down from Northern VA with his Miss Vega RTR and got run over by a gas cat in novice class. The situation will be brought up next winter meeting.

As far as the IC racers in the district. There were many people at this race that I have never seen before. The ones that come to the majority of the district race are just like the FE guys. They will do anything to help get your boat running the best it can. It's just going to take a little time for you to get to know them and for them to get to know you. When it happens. You will have fifty new friends.

Now that everyone knows how everyone feels. Lets move one and work with what we have this year.

Thumbs down

Wow, I have supported you guys and D12 from the beginning of this. I helped Mike draw up the current rules set you guys are running under. Is it the best? I think it is under the circumstances. IT'S A START! That's what you guys needed.
    Paul and I just drove 1100 miles and spent hundreds of dollars to support you guys.
    Show me where I have dismissed anyone.
    I have spent quite a bit of time giving advice on setups, classes, ect. to save you guys time, money and to increase your numbers.
    I don't have all the answers, never claimed to, but what we are doing in D-13 is working. We are running five FE classes in our district series, I must know something!!
    I feel confident that you guys will work this out.
    I will no longer take part in the distructive verbal gymnastics.
    Best of luck to you fellas and D-12.
    Later,
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 09-03-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Doug I didnt say you had if it read that way I apologize. My thing is I want to make sure other new people coming into it don't get frustrated and leave. I am speaking from the view point of someone just starting out in the IMPBA D-12 I am not saying my take on the situation is right. I just want to try to make things clearer for the next guy. The whole thing can feel overwhelming for the new guys even more so on the fe side. Doug after the race I thought we were in a good starting point and I appreciated you coming out even though I didnt get to talk to you. I know its been allot of work so far I spend hundreds of dollars just to get ready hoping I could run at that race and it was my first race so dont hold my comments against D-12 they are my own.

I understand Jason and thank you.
    There are going to be some growing pains. Communication and sacrifice are key on both (all three) sides. This past weekend was a good one for all involved, and I think we all learned something. Things will work out if everyone works together for the common good, and keep a positive spin on things.
    Giterdone!!
    Doug

PS The gas/nitro thing is simple. It's a blast!!!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

exactly I got kinda upset this got drug up again because I thought we moved past it. I am having mixed feelings right now about racing as I dont care about points I just want to run if you win great. I am just not into the points thing maybe that will change later. I think once the rules are updated it will be a big help I think I was at a huge disadvantage coming in at the last minute and it gave me a tainted view on things.

Time for a group hug!!
    Keep your heads up fellas!!!
    Work on those set ups, Paul and I are coming back for the Shootout next year!!
    Maybe we can drag along some more people.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Attached Images Attached Images
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Don't expect to see too much change as far as the P-spec goes as it is working well, a P-spec is currently leading D12 B/P-spec hydro points. My good friend Kentley Porter is in a league by himself when it comes to .21 nitro stuff and absolutely is not a fair gauge of how P-Spec stacks up to the .21s. Most likely the next step will be to add FE 1/8th scale in with the nitro scales but this is still not ready to come off the drawing board yet. I will be building an FE scale this fall/winter and do some major testing between it and my nitro scale to make sure everything is on the up and up as far as fair competition between them. For now based on what I've seen B/P-spec seems to be the hot place to run for good mixed racing not to mention the FE numbers are not there yet to even consider standing on their own. Don't feel slighted by that as that's the way it's always been with new classes be it gas or nitro. We went through that with sport .21 hydro 2 seasons back, a couple guys were clamoring for that to be a class saying this guy, that guy and another couple guys were all building them. The answer was let's see the numbers first, run them in B hydro and we'll go from there. Well the turn out the following season was spotty at best so guess what? It didn't happen. Like the saying "show me the money" this is quite similar- show me the boats consistently race after race and things can happen. My recommendation to you guys for now is to spend lots of "stick time" running on an actual race course and fine tune you driving skills, there's no such thing as too much practice no matter how long you've been at it.

Don thats the plan for Danny and myself lots of stick time and we are both sorting out 1/8 scale hydros but they may take a while we are shooting for 2012 race season. we are also going to build a p-spec and p hydro to get some stick time in and to practice. once you get the rules up why dont we try to put together something for new guys gas and fe alike things like what to expect and hidden costs new guys might not be thinking about. I will put together what I can and we can have people add to it as I am new and I am sure there is others who will hit on something missed. you may have this already if its out there I missed it and if it is there maybe we can add to it or revise it and try to make it more widely available.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast