Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Dominion Model Boat Association- Chesapeake, VA

Default Old Dominion Model Boat Association- Chesapeake, VA

Old Dominion MBA has been around for 31 years, IMPBA membership is required, holds 10 club races each year, has a full lake with IMPBA approved race course, has 30+ members. I am one of a few FE members, and I am looking to add to the people we have. The members are very welcome of FE boaters, and they allow mixing of Nitro and FE when there are not enough boats to run in similar classes. If you are near the Chesapeake,VA area, give me a PM so I can give you the Secretary, Dick Loeb, contact information. I just became a member, and the people I have met are an extremely nice bunch of RC boaters. I live in Greenville, NC, about 2 hours from the lake, and its worth the drive! Mike Luszcz
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Hi Mike, I too just became a member and live in Va Bch. I ran my P-mono (El Lobo IV) with them the Saturday before last when they cleaned the pond and ran some boats. I plan on running my UL-1 as a P-spec hydro as well. What boats and classes are you going to run in? Diegoboy is going to join and hopefully another that lives in the area as well. Nautyboyz lives in northern VA and is a D12 member and runs FE with the DC club.

Chuck
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Chuck, Thats awesome. I came that sunday! Couldnt get up there saturday. I hope to make it up this weekend...you going? I have 3 FE tunnels, working on a sport 40 FE hydro, my Kneeler FE and I am working on 2-1/8th scale hydros. Included some pics below. I hope to meet you soon and get out there running. I should have kept my FE whip 20 so we could run the 20 FE hydros! Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Those boats are beautiful! I plan on being there Sunday if the weather forecast is right.

Chuck
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Mike I just realized that some of the stuff on my P-Mono came from you via the swap shop. The trim tabs and turn fins!
    I have since changed the prop and shortened the rudder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I had a great time at the race today - wish you could have made it so I could meat you.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I think you are right about some of that hardware! Yeah, I did not realize there was a race today. I talked to Dick about that this evening. There is so much going on right now, I misunderstood what was going on there this weekend! I hope to be up there again soon. Keep me updated to when you think you will be there and I will get there too! Mike

Congratulations Egneg!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

When's the next club race guys?

This Saturday!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

where and what time?

Chuck, I don't know if Mike L will be coming up or Dick will be running his FE but David Newland was looking for some lap times to compare the P-Specs with the B tunnels. So if you have any Spec tunnels running, I would appreciate you getting some times and/or letting me know how the two compare running together. I also need to know how your mono is running compared to the B-nitro's. I'm going to GPS sll my boats this afternoon and want to make sure I'm in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreat1 View Post
    where and what time?
    It's at the lake behind Indian River High School and the races start at 11:00am and run until about 5:00pm. If you drive into the entrance just before the school and follow the road around back you will see some portables on the right. About in the middle of them you jump the curb and follow the tire tracks through the gate to the lake. Hope to see you there Jeremy.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Chuck, I don't know if Mike L will be coming up or Dick will be running his FE but David Newland was looking for some lap times to compare the P-Specs with the B tunnels. So if you have any Spec tunnels running, I would appreciate you getting some times and/or letting me know how the two compare running together. I also need to know how your mono is running compared to the B-nitro's. I'm going to GPS sll my boats this afternoon and want to make sure I'm in the ballpark.
    Will do Mike. The last race was challenging as the wind was gusty and there was quite a bit of chop. Even the gasholes with the bigger boats were having a time of it - hopefully things will be better tomorrow.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Thanks Chuck. Looks like it's going to be breezy this weekend also. I just got back from the pond and the wind was blowing hard. Made it tough to test props. I cartwheeled the rigger twice and she landed "lid side up" both times. I hit the throttle and continued on. Sweet! My gas boat is still giving me fits. She runs so good but studders comming out of the turns. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Have a great weekend! Let me know the racing goes. Tell Dick I got my Tunnel and now I have no idea what to do with it. LOL!

Mike

Well Mike the mono smoked another speedy at lap 3 1st heat but was running with the pack until then. Mike L was there and I must say that his P-spec tunnel ran great! He jumped the start in the first heat (by about a 1/2 second) and was a lap behind but still came in first! The second heat he had a good start and finished 1 lap up on the nitro guys. I talked to him about getting one of those bad boys for next winters build. He was a lot of help about what hardware to use and where to get it. I had to leave early so didn't see the 3rd heat.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Thanks for the report Chuck. Sorry you smoked another controller. Were you using the 642? Conditions must of been tough with the winds. They were really whipping up here all day. I got to check out my WS30 yesterday. Sweet! I couldnt believe how light it was. The good news is it comes with a full length box to put everything in. Unfortunately for me, the boat includes the bulkheads but they are not installed and I have no idea where they should be installed. I'll figure it out. Were you and Mike the only ones running FE's this weekend?

Yeah, we were the only ones running FE. Thegreat1 was there, but didn't run anything. Had a good time tho, I know that! Mike

Okay Mike, Good luck in Greensboro this weekend. I take it you'll be the only FE running this weekend. Give the nitro guys hell. Take a copy of FE/Nitro rules because something tells me the CD's havent read them. I did offer a copy to Mudbug via PM on Jims but did not get a response back.

Well, Dick will be there, I will not be making it. I am going to find out tomorrow if I have a job come Monday or not, so I think its probably a good idea to be at work tomorrow. Once this situation is over tomorrow, I think things will be good for a while, if I make the cut that is! Mike

Sorry to hear that Mike. Hope all goes well for you. I figured Dick would be running his B-nitro this weekend like he does at the OD races.

When ever you get time, I would appreciate any pics you may have of how to do the steering servo/linkage set up on your tunnels. Also, verify you and Dick are running the OS lower unit on the smaller Woodstuffs? Where can I get the FE motor adapter for the OS? This is build number six for me but I'm in the dark when it comes to tunnels.

Chilli

Chili, take a look at my current build thread. Should give you some ideas for steering arms. They are 4-40 rods. I usually put carbon hollow rod on the outside of the long runs to help stiffen it. Just have not done that yet! The stand off is one I make, and Kris Flynn makes a really nice stand off. And I run OS lowers on my 28" Woodstuffand this 30" and I run the Lawless 7.5 on my 36" Woodstuff and there will be one on my 40" SAW 10s Woodstuff tunnel build that is coming up. Mike

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=14487

When is the next club race Chuck?

Next Sunday, 7/11/10. I hope to make this one as I missed the last club race.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

When is the next IMBPA race at the Old Dominion Clubsite? I used to come to the races there when I belonged to the Capitol R/Cers.

Cybercrxt, I live in Sanford, NC (in the Carolina Trace) we have an excellent lake, but only electric boats are allowed. Maybe you or a group of electric boaters would like to come down sometime just to run and compare boats. There are some flyers here and one boater with an Acqucraft electric boat.

Dennis, It's the last weekend in August at Indian River High School in Chesapeake. During the Capitol race, George Anastasi told me stories about you and your buddy that owned the gas station in Burke and how your boats kicked A$$.

Give em hell next weekend Chuck. Let me know when the following one is. I may come down for a tune up before the D12 race.

Mike
    Last edited by Chilli; 07-05-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Nautiboyz, So Captain George is still running - hope he has finally retired. My wife and I are still planning to attend the Chesapeake race to see whats going on.

We are having a "Lake Fest" here in the Carolina Trace on Labor Day in Septemer. I may be looking for a boater or boaters to come down and put on demonstrations at Lake Fest. Maybe even one "nitro boat", like someone in the 100mph club....

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Give em hell next weekend Chuck. Let me know when the following one is. I may come down for a tune up before the D12 race.

Mike
    The next club race is 8/1/10, it would be great to see you if you can make it.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I'll check the calandar Chuck. I may do that.

How many heats do you all usually run per class? What time do you start and finish up?

We usually run 3 heats. Open water is at 10 and hopefully racing starts at 11. If everything goes well we are packing up to go home at 5.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast